PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone doing freelance ubuntu support out there?

zorocke
June 13th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I've been trying to find something to do this summer(i'm a student). Then I decided there must be a few of small start ups in this city that might find linux a good way to cut company spending or something(i don't know really, but maybe.. i'm not sure if it would save them money since most small companies are probably buying prebuilt systems like dells that have windows already installed?)

Any way, I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of working with linux(though i've never set up a network bigger than 3 or 4 computers, it can't be that hard with a little research before i start. Or is it harder than it seems?). Maybe I could offer services in my town to set up and maintain linux computers for small start ups in my area.

I'm just wondering if any one else is doing this? Any comments on whether you think this might be feasible because personally I am pretty unsure about the whole idea. But it seems fun, and it would be a great experience.

beercz
June 14th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Working on it ...

http://lidd.net

zorocke
June 14th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Hey, nice site. Thanks for sharing it.

beercz
June 18th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Hey, nice site. Thanks for sharing it.
Thanks

LowSky
June 18th, 2009, 07:33 PM
My best advice is get serious about it. If you want to do it, don't make it a hobby, but a career. Your better off finding a job working for a company as a summer intern to learn more about computer/networking systems. building a 5 PC network is nothing compared to running 200 PCs in one building, and another 70 spread over the country that need to connect to your business to interface with servers and virtual machines used to process data and localize storage.

Things like company email systems, VPN options, FTP or website hosting, and shared network drives, admin and user rights, all come into play. Most of this stuff a small business may want to run as well. And not having the knowlege to install, let alone diagnose issues, will be a big one. Even small start up will want 24/7 tech support, losing one day of connectivity can cost them a fortune.

Don't take this the wrong way but, Just because you can build a home network, or built a network storage server, or maybe stream some video from one computer to another doesn't make you ready for business instalations.

Good Luck