PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft knows we exist.....

dragos240
June 13th, 2009, 10:12 PM
And they are trying to make us switch (back?) to windows!!!!!

Vostrocity
June 13th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I don't think that's targeted though. Microsoft needs a lot of marketing to hype 7.

NFblaze
June 13th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Microsoft probrably understands that it is losing significant portions of the market to its competitors. Hence, the new improved Zune, hence a free OS with abundant promotion, hence straying from its usual business practices, hence Anti-Mac/Anti-Linux propaganda. Though, competition is usually good for the end consumer.

Rainstride
June 13th, 2009, 10:55 PM

even if those ad's aren't targeted, the fact they are having to hype to the extreme they are proves that they are afraid they're are losing. you don't spend billions to advertise unless you have to. so much for linux not being a threat:D.

Tipped OuT
June 13th, 2009, 11:00 PM

even if those ad's aren't targeted, the fact they are having to hype to the extreme they are proves that they are afraid they're are losing. you don't spend billions to advertise unless you have to. so much for linux not being a threat:D.

It's called making money. They advertise so people will catch on, and possibly buy there products. It has nothing to do with switching people, who use Linux, over to Windows. Microsoft has always been doing this (as well as all other big time commercial companies), so I don't see what's the big deal.

schauerlich
June 13th, 2009, 11:04 PM
http://eric.grubbn.org/pandawtf.png

I think there are more pressing issues at hand.

Seriously, what the heck was that video about?

gnomeuser
June 13th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Naturally they know we exist.. I personally handed a highly placed Microsoft employee copies of Fedora.

Rainstride
June 13th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Dude, it's called making money. They advertise so people will catch on, and possibly buy there products. It has nothing to with switching people, who use Linux, over to Windows. Microsoft has always been doing this, so I don't see what's the big deal.

they have never advertised to this extreme before. they're buy tv, radio, newspapers, there advertising on most major web sites. it sick how much there pushing this. also, the "its better with windows" campaign. besides, you don't think they want to switch us? or the mac people for that matter? i mean theres somewhere around 40 millon ubuntu users alone. then there are the other distros, the apple users, company's, and so on.

they though vista was the greatest thing ever and i didn't see this many adverts.

hayden92
June 13th, 2009, 11:22 PM
dragos240, you should be running adblock plus :)

Tipped OuT
June 14th, 2009, 12:31 AM
they have never advertised to this extreme before. they're buy tv, radio, newspapers, there advertising on most major web sites. it sick how much there pushing this. also, the "its better with windows" campaign. besides, you don't think they want to switch us? or the mac people for that matter? i mean theres somewhere around 40 millon ubuntu users alone. then there are the other distros, the apple users, company's, and so on.

they though vista was the greatest thing ever and i didn't see this many adverts.

There advertising a lot because they know people where displeased with Vista, and so they're trying to show them that they've done better this time with Windows 7. And what company doesn't want somebody to switch to there product? You guy's are acting like this is the first time ever Microsoft has ever done this (advertise), and Linux is a threat to them. Of course there a threat to them. All operating systems are a threat to them. Why? Because it's an alternate choice that the user can choose to use. Like I said before, no big deal.

dragos240
June 14th, 2009, 12:34 AM

Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't that a windose program?

MasterNetra
June 14th, 2009, 12:34 AM

i think there are more pressing issues at hand.

+1

Tipped OuT
June 14th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't that a windose program?

No, it's just a Firefox add-on.

Regenweald
June 14th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Actually, from memory, Vista seem more hyped up. It was on cnn every 2 secs. The 7 campaign is not only hype but also major damage control. I expect ridiculous deals offered to government and corporations based solely on the inroads Linux has made into the European state IT infrastructure.

pwnst*r
June 14th, 2009, 12:50 AM

please tell me you're kidding.

pwnst*r
June 14th, 2009, 12:52 AM

when your competition (apple) starts pulling out all stops in advertising on tv, you better believe you best do the same. common sense.

dragos240
June 14th, 2009, 12:53 AM
please tell me you're kidding.

I am.

pwnst*r
June 14th, 2009, 12:54 AM
k good. i know you just got out of middle school (congrats btw), but sheesh.

xuCGC002
June 14th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Oh my god. An ad for Windows? On Linux?

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/4422/screaminga.jpg

Vostrocity
June 14th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Psst.. keep Adblock Plus a secret, you don't want to kill the industry. :o

drawkcab
June 15th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Microsoft is not worried about us (except maybe in the netbook market, and only a little bit there), but worried about convincing folks to leave their beloved XP.

Screwdriver0815
June 15th, 2009, 09:28 AM

There advertising a lot because they know people where displeased with Vista, and so they're trying to show them that they've done better this time with Windows 7. And what company doesn't want somebody to switch to there product? You guy's are acting like this is the first time ever Microsoft has ever done this (advertise), and Linux is a threat to them. Of course there a threat to them. All operating systems are a threat to them. Why? Because it's an alternate choice that the user can choose to use. Like I said before, no big deal.
can somebody translate these two posts for me? What is where and there all the time?

Is Microsoft there or where or what? Or are we there and the others are away? Or are we away and Microsoft is also away while Linux is there?
Or is Microsoft there while we and Linux are away? Or are all (Microsoft, Apple and Linux) there?

And when they are there: where is this "there" in Helsinki, Redmond or maybe Hollywood?

Tipped OuT
June 15th, 2009, 09:57 AM
can somebody translate these two posts for me? What is where and there all the time?

Is Microsoft there or where or what? Or are we there and the others are away? Or are we away and Microsoft is also away while Linux is there?
Or is Microsoft there while we and Linux are away? Or are all (Microsoft, Apple and Linux) there?

And when they are there: where is this "there" in Helsinki, Redmond or maybe Hollywood?

What? Okay. Being sarcastic will get you no where.

billgoldberg
June 15th, 2009, 10:04 AM
What kind of company does not know its rivals?

Screwdriver0815
June 15th, 2009, 11:09 AM
What? Okay. Being sarcastic will get you no where.
this is not sarcastic. I do not understand what is written in these posts and I ask people to translate.

Maybe it is because there is something wrong in the words or in the sentences. But maybe I am too stupid to understand the new english language?

So what do the two posts mean?

no where? what does it mean? No and where? But why no and where? Where? Maybe there? Or their? Why no, or maybe yes though?

it is really strange... I thought I could speak and understand english quite good... and I always took care to write and speak in the right way because of showing my respect to the people who nativly speak this language... but now it seems like I have lost it.

schauerlich
June 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM

"There" and "they're" are both pronounced the same, but are spelled differently and mean different things. In those posts, they said "there" when they meant "they're" a few times. "There" means "dort" and "they're" is short for "Sie sind." He also replaced "were" ("waren") with "where" ("wo"). Hopefully that will help sort out the confusion.

Screwdriver0815
June 15th, 2009, 12:57 PM
"There" and "they're" are both pronounced the same, but are spelled differently and mean different things. In those posts, they said "there" when they meant "they're" a few times. "There" means "dort" and "they're" is short for "Sie sind." He also replaced "were" ("waren") with "where" ("wo"). Hopefully that will help sort out the confusion.
and how do I know which "where" "we are", "were", "they are" etc. is meant, by "where" and "there"?

and what is meant with "no where"? is it "know where" or "nowhere"?

maybe it is better if people write in a correct way so that even people from abroad can understand what is meant? Maybe this is also a matter of politeness?

dragos240
June 15th, 2009, 07:03 PM
and how do I know which "where" "we are", "were", "they are" etc. is meant, by "where" and "there"?

maybe it is better if people write in a correct way so that even people from abroad can understand what is meant? Maybe this is also a matter of politeness?

Nowhere is used for null, or nothing. For example, I could say that my project is getting nowhere, it means that nothing is being accomplished.

schauerlich
June 15th, 2009, 07:08 PM

Well, in your head, read it both ways, and see which one makes more sense.

"no where" = "nirgendwo." "No where" means "not any place." So if someone asks where you're going, and you say "no where," you're basically trying to get them to leave you alone, because you're obviously going to a place, you just say you're not so they don't know which one. :)

"Know where" is a mistake. "Know" and "no" are pronounced the same.

I don't think it's a matter of politeness. The mistakes made were some of the most common ones made even by native speakers.

Bachstelze

Funnily enough, I did switch back recently. I never left Windows completely as I was dual-booting and using Windows and Linux about 50-50, but recently I noticed I didn't use Linux at all anymore (on my desktop), so I just deleted it. :D

-grubby
After reading this thread, I sliced off my head!

schauerlich
June 15th, 2009, 07:10 PM

Good riddance!

dragos240
June 15th, 2009, 07:11 PM

zmjjmz
June 15th, 2009, 07:14 PM

He was a poet and he didn't even know it!

-grubby
June 15th, 2009, 07:15 PM

After reading those ellipses, I shot off my testes!

Amilo1718
June 15th, 2009, 07:18 PM
After reading those ellipses, I shot off my testes!

you got to have balls to use a linux command

=D>

schauerlich
Funnily enough, I did switch back recently. I never left Windows completely as I was dual-booting and using Windows and Linux about 50-50, but recently I noticed I didn't use Linux at all anymore (on my desktop), so I just deleted it. :D

Mein Gott! A UF mod who doesn't use Linux? Sacrilege!

/me posts this from Mac OS X

ZackM

i think there are more pressing issues at hand.

........... Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bachstelze
June 15th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Mein Gott! A UF mod who doesn't use Linux? Sacrilege!

I still have a Debian server, and Ubuntu on my EeePC!

schauerlich
June 15th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I still have a Debian server, and Ubuntu on my EeePC!

Excuses.

swoll1980
June 15th, 2009, 07:26 PM
It's called making money. They advertise so people will catch on, and possibly buy there products. It has nothing to do with switching people, who use Linux, over to Windows. Microsoft has always been doing this (as well as all other big time commercial companies), so I don't see what's the big deal.

You really don't think Microsoft's ads are designed to draw people away from the competition. What do you think that whole I'm a PC thing is about?

zmjjmz
June 15th, 2009, 07:27 PM
You really don't think Microsoft's ads are designed to draw people away from the competition. What do you think that whole I'm a PC thing is about?

It's trying to prevent people from buying Macs.
It's failing, honestly, but you can't say that they didn't try.

Wiebelhaus
June 15th, 2009, 07:29 PM

Dude , it's ~their~

There would be used like:

"The ball is over there in that tree"

Their would be used like:

"It's their money and they can spend it any way they like"

Hey man , the first two posts I could refrain from being a Nazi but the third one made me freak out.

swoll1980
June 15th, 2009, 07:32 PM
It's trying to prevent people from buying Macs.
It's failing, honestly, but you can't say that they didn't try.

Exactly, and the only reason Linux isn't mentioned in their ads is because Linux doesn't advertise, and 90% of the world doesn't know there is a free desktop OS called Linux. Microsoft wants to keep it that way.

add: Even in their it's better with Windows campaign they don't mention the word Linux. They did that for a reason. They are very good at marketing you know.

bakedbeans4life
June 15th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Of course they do. That is why you have so many Microsofties and their respective apologists and lackeys responding on these forums.

schauerlich
June 15th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Exactly, and the only reason Linux isn't mentioned in their ads is because Linux doesn't advertise, and 90% of the world doesn't know there is a free desktop OS called Linux. Microsoft wants to keep it that way.

1) The reason Linux isn't mentioned in their ad is because they have 0.6%-1% of the market depending on which rounding error you prefer to use, so it's not worth the effort
2) Why would Microsoft want to tell people about their competition?

The people in this thread would never pass a marketing class.

Of course they do. That is why you have so many Microsofties and their respective apologists and lackeys responding on these forums.

*Sigh* Someone disagrees with you, so Microsoft must be paying them to disagree with you. It couldn't possibly be that other opinions exist within the Linux community.

ZackM
June 15th, 2009, 07:35 PM

Uhm... Yeah... Those were, obviously, in response to Mac's commercials about Mac being better. I'm not getting into that debate. This isn't a Mac or Windows forum... It's Linux. :) But, yeah... Those commercials were in response to, not for general annoyance.

Dark Aspect
June 15th, 2009, 07:37 PM

adblock plus, nice I am going to have to recommend that to people, my firefox is beginning to get deck out with add-ons/modifications. As for Microsoft, I vote their just trying to get people interested in windows Vista/7. After all, Microsoft is well aware of both Linux and Mac and probably been so for a while.

Personally I am not a hater or lover of Microsoft. Windows XP was, by no means, the worst operating system ever. Its just Microsoft surprises me with how much they don't care if their users get infected with some system fatal virus. Plus, who ever thought that vista needs to use 1.2 GB of Ram idle should be killed very quickly.

swoll1980
June 15th, 2009, 07:37 PM
1) The reason Linux isn't mentioned in their ad is because they have 0.6%-1% of the market depending on which rounding error you prefer to use, so it's not worth the effort
2) Why would Microsoft want to tell people about their competition?

The people in this thread would never pass a marketing class.

Isn't that what I just said. Mac doesn't have a large user base either, but their brand is out there. Linux is an apparition.

schauerlich
June 15th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Isn't that what I just said. Mac doesn't have a large user base either, but their brand is out there. Linux is an apparition.

8% is a hell of a lot more than 1%. And Apple actually has a brand, a consistent support model, and a tangible entity to back their product. It's a much greater threat to Microsoft than a community based Linux distro ever will be.

swoll1980
June 15th, 2009, 07:43 PM
8% is a hell of a lot more than 1%. And Apple actually has a brand, a consistent support model, and a tangible entity to back their product. It's a much greater threat to Microsoft than a community based Linux distro ever will be.

Exactly. There is no argument here. I totally agree with this. If Linux advertised, and their name was known to people like the mac name however, then Microsoft would no doubt start a campaign to minimize the threat.

add: the only reason Linux isn't more of a threat is because they don't advertise. People like to do what ever the box in their living room tells them to.

ZackM
June 15th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Unfortunately for Linux is that most of the Microsoft guys wouldn't care about stability, or how hard the os is on the machine. Linux doesn't support a lot of the more famed games (Like WoW, or Steam engine games) and that would turn them off completely from the idea. Yes, you can use wine to run those games, but you'll be taking a substantial performance blow. However, the word "Free" would turn a lot more heads.

schauerlich
June 15th, 2009, 07:48 PM
add: the only reason Linux isn't more of a threat is because they don't advertise. People like to do what ever the box in their living room tells them to.

I wouldn't say it's the only reason. People buy Macs because they're "safe". Not from a technical security standpoint, but from a stress standpoint. People see these ads where the computer is trouble free, and if anything goes wrong, just bring it in to Apple and their "geniuses" will make it all better. And this is all offered by a company that everyone knows and trusts from the iPod days. Even with good advertising, Linux can't offer that kind of (perceived) peace of mind.

rvndrk3233
June 15th, 2009, 07:50 PM
adblock doesn't work like that.you need the anime cartoon ad-on for it to work right.even then.
they should just abolish online ads.

at least the video ones.waste of bandwidth.

No, if you've seen 7 ultimate, yeah, the free one....The one all you need is a LIVE ID for.....Keys too....

1) you can't find anything as EVERYTHING is HIDDEN.
2) There are ads everywhere. The beta's have always been free.Go attend a techNet conference near a release date.I got 2000 mail to me for free.

FREE.From Microsoft.Go Figure. No strings attached.

3) FANCY FANCY GLOSSY and video intense.But NICE!!

Oh, VISTA upgrade from XP is about $75 now,not $300.[product red,student edition, this one will do the world some good.HMM.change of pace from MS greedy-ness...]

You CAN update from XP to 7,but you have to go online first to get some updates.[reminds me of VISTA.]

The RC is trying to get people to switch by letting them use the OS for a year, as VISTA is BLOATWARE.7 is not.ADWARE to the extreme, but not bloatware.They got rid of the widgets and made is easy for people to run the OS by cutting down the resource requirements. Of course if you want AERO or glass, you need a 3d video card.[nvidia,nvidia...]

YOu dont need drivers anymore, 7 has them already or downloads them for you.Downloading a driver gives you an unstable untested older version.Try the atheros in a mac mini, you'll see what I mean. Instant BSOD.'IRQ not less than equal....' Yet the internal drivers work just fine.

I will give you this, it seems at least to be more stable and hack proof.Though the atheros drivers need some help in the secured wifi department.

Yes, they know UBUNTU is out there.The are trying to compete with COMPIZ.
They also know that UBUNTU is a ROYAL PAIN and finicky with hardware.

My PS2 gamerheadset cut out last week,forcing me to put OSX on my intel box, as it is the only OS so far that can support my PS2 headset, PRINT, and SCAN [epson epikowa drivers] without giving me hell about it.CUPS on Linux is FAILING miserably.The epikowa driver drops out half the time and the PS2 headset WAS working fine.I don't know where linux started with dropping the usb on that.[something about not finding the right slot.] IT WAS working.

I need skype, my phone bills are outrageous.I can't do without the headset.I could use windows, but then I'd have to add on something like ANDLinux to get my functionality back.I already have two macs.Why not make a third?? I can buy the OSX package, its not a big deal.

The only difference is a different kernel,different bootloader, and other drivers.OSX runs on intels.AND QUITE WELL, I might add, as of late.Will stick with what I have.

but I do ENJOY UBUNTU.

Screwdriver0815
June 15th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Nowhere is used for null, or nothing. For example, I could say that my project is getting nowhere, it means that nothing is being accomplished.

Well, in your head, read it both ways, and see which one makes more sense.

"no where" = "nirgendwo." "No where" means "not any place." So if someone asks where you're going, and you say "no where," you're basically trying to get them to leave you alone, because you're obviously going to a place, you just say you're not so they don't know which one. :)

"Know where" is a mistake. "Know" and "no" are pronounced the same.

I don't think it's a matter of politeness. The mistakes made were some of the most common ones made even by native speakers.
I know all these words. I just wanted to show, how difficult it is for people, who are no native speakers (and I also think that even native english speakers have problems with that) to follow a sentence which contains nearly 100% errors.

It is really difficult and I still can not divide which "there" means what in the posts, mentioned above.

I still think its a matter of politeness, respect and humanity to write in a right way or at least to keep the number of mistakes down and not to write wrong intentionally.

I think, Microsoft does these advertisings just because of Apple, not because of Linux. They know that lots of people want to test Windows 7 and that former Linux users will convert to it. Even without advertising. But Mac users are not to convert so easily because they have bought an expensive computer too.

I think, Linux users are easier to convert to Windows 7 because the number of Windows 7 threads tells us that this is the case.

KiwiNZ
June 15th, 2009, 07:51 PM

Please refrain from this tone of posting

t0p
June 15th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Microsoft probrably understands that it is losing significant portions of the market to its competitors...hence a free OS with abundant promotion

"Free OS"? Which OS do you mean? 7? Are they giving it away for nothing? Or do you mean "free as in free speech"? Is 7 open source??

EDIT: I'm aware Microsoft is giving away the 7 release candidate to anyone who wants to try it. But that doesn't equate with giving the OS-proper away. The RC is programmed to shut down every 2 hours or something once the final version of 7 is released. And the RC will probably self-destruct a short time later.

bakedbeans4life
June 15th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Please refrain from this tone of posting

And just what is this "tone" you speak of?

TheNosh
June 15th, 2009, 08:08 PM
"Free OS"? Which OS do you mean? 7? Are they giving it away for nothing? Or do you mean "free as in free speech"? Is 7 open source??

EDIT: I'm aware Microsoft is giving away the 7 release candidate to anyone who wants to try it. But that doesn't equate with giving the OS-proper away. The RC is programmed to shut down every 2 hours or something once the final version of 7 is released. And the RC will probably self-destruct a short time later.

yea, but you get to use it for a full year. and i'm not sure if it was a serious question, but no, 7 is not open source. if it were someone would make a fork of it and release it free (cent OS, anyone?... but red hat doesn't really mind that, microsoft would)... also wine and reactOS would make faster progress than ever :lolflag:

schauerlich
June 15th, 2009, 08:10 PM
And just what is this "tone" you speak of?

Accusing everyone who disagrees with you with being a Microsoft shill?

cmat
June 15th, 2009, 08:12 PM
"I think the dynamics with Linux is changing somewhat," Ballmer said. "I assume we'll see Android-based, Linux-based laptops, in addition to phones, and we'll see Google more and more as a competitor in the desktop operating system business than we ever have before."

Linux is seen as a powerful threat, more so than Apple. 1% of a 100 million PCs is still a million PCs, no small number. I remember reading a report published by MS or one of it's research groups saying exactly that (I'll post it when I find it). Linux runs of everything + fridge including hardware Windows runs on. Linux is right in their backyard where mac is it's own entity.

ZackM
June 15th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Yeah... Here, take this cyanide pill. We're in the middle of a ritual.

ZackM
June 15th, 2009, 08:25 PM
No point in sugar coating it(Bad pun?) anymore... We just come right out and say it!

Tipped OuT
June 15th, 2009, 08:26 PM

Sorry for only being 15 and a high school drop out.

schauerlich
June 15th, 2009, 08:28 PM

I thought you couldn't drop out until you're 16.

Tipped OuT
June 15th, 2009, 08:30 PM

Wow what? I'm out of here.

swoll1980
June 15th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Damn it! I spilled Kill-aid all over my white robe!

TheNosh
June 15th, 2009, 08:49 PM
I think, Linux users are easier to convert to Windows 7 because the number of Windows 7 threads tells us that this is the case.

but a lot of us are dual booting with linux as our main system.

also in my case i was dual booting before, i just changed from ubuntu with vista to ubuntu with 7. ubuntu is still my main system, and that's true of a lot of the ubuntu users testing windows 7, even some of the ones starting those threads.

so yea, when the release happens many of us will buy a copy (and frankly as long as we do that MS couldn't really care less if it's our main system or not) but we haven't actually been converted from linux.

in most states i'm pretty sure your right, unless your parents sign a bunch of stuff

SunnyRabbiera
June 15th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Of course they know Linux exists and they are scared to death of it.

schauerlich
June 15th, 2009, 09:01 PM

[citation needed]

SunnyRabbiera
June 15th, 2009, 09:03 PM
[citation needed]

Well I think its true, with the lawsuits and the power plays I think microsoft is afraid of linux.

oldsoundguy
June 15th, 2009, 09:03 PM
If ads bother you, just wait until the OFFICIAL release date of Win7!
MS has lost 5% of market share on desktops since the first of the year (that is a 10% plus loss per YEAR), yet alone they are constantly losing server share (another 10-15% per year loss rate)as governments and business look for a working and CHEAPER alternative.
MS will be around for a long time to come .. but eventually they will be there mostly in game boxes and home appliance controllers and the like.

schauerlich
June 15th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Well I think its true, with the lawsuits and the power plays I think microsoft is afraid of linux.

This post may contain original research (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:No_original_research) or unverified claims (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verifiability). Please improve the post (http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/edit.gif) by adding references (http://google.com). See the talk page (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7462116#post7462116) for details.

spoons
June 15th, 2009, 09:09 PM

No, it's apple they are scared of. Linux is tiny compared to apple.

Tibuda
June 15th, 2009, 09:15 PM
This thread remembers me of this fake ad:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_szsM-EakoOE/RvSBOHyLdmI/AAAAAAAAAt4/865N5khxyQs/s400/bill_gates_ubuntu_mini.jpg

bakedbeans4life
June 15th, 2009, 09:37 PM
This thread remembers me of this fake ad:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_szsM-EakoOE/RvSBOHyLdmI/AAAAAAAAAt4/865N5khxyQs/s400/bill_gates_ubuntu_mini.jpg

Damn, damn, damn. I'm sold. They mention Ubuntu in the Godlike presence of Bill Gates. That must mean Windows is heaven sent and that Ubuntu is but a shoe shiner to his Ballmerness. For so long I was without aim or purpose, now I know. My true path is laid out before my eyes.

Windows 7, all versions with or without disclaimers, will save mankind, the Earth, the solar system, the Milky Way, the cosmos and the entire Universe.

Bill Gates not only predicted "The Big Bang", his Billness foresaw it long before the concept of "God" became but a fashion statement.

bakedbeans4life
June 15th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Damn, damn, damn. I'm sold. They mention Ubuntu in the Godlike presence of Bill Gates. That must mean Windows is heaven sent and that Ubuntu is but a shoe shiner to his Ballmerness. For so long I was without aim or purpose, now I know. My true path is laid out before my eyes.

Windows 7, all versions with or without disclaimers, will save mankind, the Earth, the solar system, the Milky Way, the cosmos and the entire Universe.

Bill Gates not only predicted "The Big Bang", his Billness foresaw it long before the concept of "God" became but a fashion statement.

But I digress...

Rainstride
June 15th, 2009, 09:43 PM

try club soda. don't want to look bad when they find you.;)

Rainstride
June 15th, 2009, 09:51 PM
No, it's apple they are scared of. Linux is tiny compared to apple.

last i checked apple has about 1 million to 5 million mac users MAX. and GNU/linux has around 100-200 million desktop users alone if you where to count up all the distros and company's and multiple users behind a single ip.

lol tiny....

Dark Aspect
June 15th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Bill Gates runs Ubuntu on his home computer.....

dragos240
June 15th, 2009, 10:15 PM
Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Bill Gates runs Ubuntu on his home computer.....

I want a picture of that!!! Microsoft's sales would go down the drain.

TheNosh
June 15th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I want a picture of that!!! Microsoft's sales would go down the drain.

no they wouldn't, MS would simply release an article saying he was running it for test purposes and didn't like it anyway

Giant Speck
June 15th, 2009, 10:23 PM

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if he ran Ubuntu on one computer, but I'd be surprised if he ran Ubuntu on his home computer.

TheNosh
June 15th, 2009, 10:26 PM
well, i wouldn't be surprised if he ran ubuntu on one computer, but i'd be surprised if he ran ubuntu on his home computer.

+1

pwnst*r
June 15th, 2009, 10:28 PM
what is this place? Some kind of linux cult hang out?

lol

lykwydchykyn
June 15th, 2009, 10:35 PM
last i checked apple has about 1 million to 5 million mac users MAX. and GNU/linux has around 100-200 million desktop users alone if you where to count up all the distros and company's and multiple users behind a single ip.

lol tiny....

You must be a busy beaver doing all that counting!

pwnst*r
June 15th, 2009, 10:37 PM

lol tiny....

100-200 million. some awesome accuracy and a moot point.

KiwiNZ
June 15th, 2009, 10:51 PM

lol tiny....

source ?

Giant Speck
June 15th, 2009, 10:56 PM
+1

Could a moderator please explain to me why, when someone quotes me, the forum makes whatever I said show up in all lowercase letters, including my name?

Bachstelze
June 15th, 2009, 11:05 PM
wat?

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if he ran Ubuntu on one computer, but I'd be surprised if he ran Ubuntu on his home computer.

KiwiNZ
June 15th, 2009, 11:08 PM

lol tiny....

This is more accurate http://marketshare.hitslink.com/os-market-share.aspx?qprid=9

TheNosh
June 15th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Could a moderator please explain to me why, when someone quotes me, the forum makes whatever I said show up in all lowercase letters, including my name?

that is odd, just quoted you by clicking the quote button. i generally type in all lower case just due to laziness, but i didn't type the quote

looking at it as i type though, this quote appears to have the proper casing

Giant Speck
June 15th, 2009, 11:14 PM
wat?

Maybe if you replace the word "home" with "main," it would make sense.

Bill Gates is a computer geek. It absolutely would not surprise me if he used multiple operating systems on his computers. However, it would surprise me if Ubuntu was installed on his main computer.

jonian_g
June 15th, 2009, 11:16 PM
This is more accurate http://marketshare.hitslink.com/os-market-share.aspx?qprid=9

To me this is more accurate: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics."
Benjamin Disraeli

gnomeuser
June 15th, 2009, 11:28 PM
source ?

I can't speak for the Mac claims but but here is your first 52 millions users for Linux (http://piacentini.livejournal.com/7871.html). Yes, you read that right, 52 million Brazilian school children will grow up with access to a Debian machine running a KDE desktop. I think that is the single biggest deployment I have heard of.

Of course Red Flag Linux is the officially blessed Linux in China and I suspect they have a wide userbase but I have been unable to find numbers. Russian and Cuba er working on their own "national" Linux distros which may also grow to become very large deployments.

We have big deployments, we just lack an easy accessable source to tally them all up and keep track of feedback and current status. Hopefully this would be something the Linux Foundation might want to do.

jonian_g
June 15th, 2009, 11:31 PM
And about NetApplications statistics:

Vincent Vizzaccaro (vince@netapplications.com)
EVP - Marketing and Strategic Relations at Net Applications

Our Partners/Clients include Microsoft, Apple, Amazon/Alexa, Opera and ExactTarget. And, we're looking to grow that base as well as enhance our contact and communications with our existing base.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/vizzav

So, to me, those statistics are absolutely rubbish.

KiwiNZ
June 15th, 2009, 11:33 PM
To me market share is nothing to worry about . We need to concentrate on product improvement. Then market share will take care of itself.

jonian_g
June 15th, 2009, 11:35 PM
To me market share is nothing to worry about . We need to concentrate on product improvement. Then market share will take care of itself.

That doesn't mean you don't have to check your sources and see if they are reliable.

dragos240
June 15th, 2009, 11:36 PM
To ensure the safe performance of all authorized activities, do not destroy VITAL TESTING APPARATUS!

Screwdriver0815
June 16th, 2009, 12:18 AM
ahem... as I was 15 I could write in a proper way... strange... :rolleyes:
I did not realise that this is something special (I knew that I am special but not why...) as all my friends also could write as they were 15.

but a lot of us are dual booting with linux as our main system.

also in my case i was dual booting before, i just changed from ubuntu with vista to ubuntu with 7. ubuntu is still my main system, and that's true of a lot of the ubuntu users testing windows 7, even some of the ones starting those threads.

so yea, when the release happens many of us will buy a copy (and frankly as long as we do that MS couldn't really care less if it's our main system or not) but we haven't actually been converted from linux.

dual booting has the same consequences for Microsoft: they make money. And that is what I mean. So, no - you are not converted but you bought a Win 7 CD. And thats what Microsoft wanted with this advertising.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 16th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Just to add another twist to the Microsoft ads...

The Microsoft ads are not intended for home PC users only. They are also intended to influence managers of businesses. The business market is were Microsoft should be worried about Linux. I would think Microsoft stupid it it didn't realise that.

We have 35 people working on my Project. All 35 people have computers that run Linux. To cut cost we removed the Microsoft Licenses from all the computers except for seven of them. Those seven were computers of users that are supervisors or managers that needed Windows applications. Even when the seven computers are booted into Microsoft XP, they use Thunderbird rather than Outlook, Firefox rather than IE, and Nvu rather than Front Page, and so on. We are skipping Vista, and will test Windows 7 before making a decision to migrate to that OS version.

Everyone can do the math. Microsoft has a small share of the computers on this project.

Furthermore, I think that Microsoft knows that if people use Linux at work they may consider using Linux at home. That is, if it is easy for them to install. Linux keeps getting easier to install as time progresses.

Of the 35 people on the Project, a few (I think 3) do not have home computers. I put a laptop together from some spare parts I had. I gave it to one of the Project members as their home computer, and it runs, guess what, Linux.

My 2 Cents. :)

ZackM
June 16th, 2009, 02:08 AM

See, that wouldn't have happened had you just taken the pill. It's not as messy and works just as fast. Hahaha

swoll1980
June 16th, 2009, 02:35 AM
ahem... as I was 15 I could write in a proper way... strange... :rolleyes:
I did not realise that this is something special (I knew that I am special but not why...) as all my friends also could write as they were 15.

I sorry, but I couldn't help laughing. The number of grammatical errors in this statement are ridiculous, especially in a statement meant to humiliate someone else because of their writing skills.

ZackM
June 16th, 2009, 02:52 AM
I sorry, but I couldn't help laughing. The number of grammatical errors in this statement are ridiculous, especially in a statement meant to humiliate someone else because of their writing skills.

Lol... "I sorry" he says... :(

swoll1980
June 16th, 2009, 02:56 AM
Lol... "I sorry" he says... :(

I did that on purpose. :^o

ZackM
June 16th, 2009, 02:58 AM
I did that on purpose. :^o

Lol I know... But it made me laugh. ;-;

TheNosh
June 16th, 2009, 04:05 AM
dual booting has the same consequences for Microsoft: they make money. And that is what I mean. So, no - you are not converted but you bought a Win 7 CD. And thats what Microsoft wanted with this advertising.

yea, but most of us testing the RC (or that tested the beta) seek out testing releases on our own, no ads needed, for instance, i'm typing this in the dev build of chromium. no ad needed, i just got bored so i found some unstable software to play with.;)

KiwiNZ
June 16th, 2009, 04:39 AM

Like the mistake that assumes English is everyone's primary language

This is a Tech Forum not an English class:mad:

deltadave
June 16th, 2009, 04:51 AM
I think much of the ms advertising is designed to fix their own bad reputation. "You don't like vista? We understand. Just buy windows 7 and see how great it is. No really it's great!" I'm guessing a company as big ms will have a marketing department so large that some staff can be focused on improving their own image, others can focus on anti-apple marketing, etc.

They wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't become aware of other products and then figure out how to keep them from taking market share. This is going back a little before my time but does anyone remember IBM? -"No one will ever be able to take their market share."
-I'm sure no other search engine would ever be more popular than yahoo either.
-How about WordPerfect?
-Those silly cable news channels will never be as big as ABC/CBS/NBC.
[point over made I hope]
Technology changes so fast that ms could easily be the next version of one of these companies if they don't act and react appropriately.

Who knows what unforeseen non-technical issues can come up to change things drastically. Look at the new "Government Motors" and Chrysler companies. No main stream person would have ever imagined something like that happen. This could go into so many different directions and last many pages but hopefully thoughts are helpful.

HappyFeet
June 16th, 2009, 04:53 AM
dual booting has the same consequences for Microsoft: they make money. And that is what I mean.

I didn't pay a dime for Win7. (and never will) I registered over at MS and got the free RC with a key. I've only tried it once in Vbox, only because I have to know it for my job. It's neither here nor there with me. I personally, can live without it.

deltadave
June 16th, 2009, 05:09 AM

It's not? j/k Admittedly, I have to catch myself when I post things here versus on my yotatech.com (Off road Toyota's) forum. Most people on there are from US with some from Canada. On ubuntu forums people are from all over the world. Many would say that I don't speak english either since I speak "Native Texan". I'll try to refain from using "ain't", "y'all", and "fixin' too" very often so as not to offend others. English speakers included. :D

nolliecrooked
June 16th, 2009, 05:12 AM
it might be kinda interesting to find a webpage with that ad on and try User Switcher Agent, and see if it shows the same thing.

Giant Speck
June 16th, 2009, 05:59 AM

From now on, I'm going to start typing in Russian and see if anyone corrects it.

Спасибо!

jonian_g
June 16th, 2009, 06:02 AM

schauerlich
June 16th, 2009, 06:04 AM

This is the internet. It's always english class.

Icehuck
June 16th, 2009, 06:05 AM
from now on, i'm going to start typing in russian and see if anyone corrects it.

Спасибо!

Что Вы делаете?

Who are you thanking?

schauerlich
June 16th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Что Вы делаете?

You're not welcome btw.

Sorry, I don't speak communist.

jonian_g
June 16th, 2009, 06:08 AM
Sorry, I don't speak communist.

Of course fascists speak only fascist!

KiwiNZ
June 16th, 2009, 06:10 AM
*ahem*

Topic

Eisenwinter
June 16th, 2009, 06:59 AM
+1. That's exactly what I was gonna say!

TheNosh
June 16th, 2009, 07:52 AM
*ahem*

Topic

how subtle

dragos240
June 17th, 2009, 02:20 AM
*ahem*

Topic

Ehh? What are you saying?