PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] File Structure and dual booting

jolo
June 13th, 2009, 09:35 PM
I am about to get a laptop computer from either Red Bard or System 76.
With both of them, I can get them custom made and I can get Ubuntu 9.04 pre-installed, then I will install either XP or Vista and create a dual boot situation, "just in case".

In a email dialog with System 76, the salesperson referred me to a Wiki that gave instructions on how to create a dual boot system on a computer that already has Ubuntu on it.

The Wiki is here Link to adding Windows to Ubuntu (http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Windows_-_Add_MS_Windows_to_Your_System76_Machine)

There is one part of this Wiki that might not be correct and I would like your help in verifying it.
Install Windows

"Simply run through the installation process.
When you get to the partition screen choose to install Windows on your new Unpartitioned Space.
Partition the space FAT32 if you want to be able to exchange files between Ubuntu and Windows partitions."
With formatting, on Windows, the Windows control freaks removed the ability to format a hard drive as FAT32. When I wanted to do that, to create an external drive that I can write to from my Windows Vista PC, then have it connected via USBII to my DVD player, I needed to get a third party program to format my external drive as FAT32.

I also was of the belief that Ubuntu 9.04 supported NTFS and that if I want to share data that could be readable in both Ubuntu and Windows, that it should be NTFS.

PLEASE let me know what is correct ??

Thanks,

Jon :D

jbruced
June 13th, 2009, 09:44 PM
In my experience, NTFS has worked out of the box reliably.

Doing a web search may show older websites offering older solutions, but it is so reliable, it's a non-issue now.

I screwed up and formatted an external HD for compatibility reasons to FAT32 close to a year ago. It works, but would rather have done it in NTFS.

btw, my internal XP ntfs partition is accessed easily from Ubuntu.

merlinus
June 13th, 2009, 09:59 PM
+10 for ntfs.

But you may wish to specify how you want your partitions set up. I would suggest leaving 20G (or even more if you will be installing lots of win software) in a primary partition at the very front of the hdd.

Then everything else should go into an extended partition, with 10-15G for / and at least 7G /home, and 1.5G /swap. The rest of the space can be a /data partition formatted as ntfs.

jimv
June 13th, 2009, 10:29 PM
You can also go the virtual machine route, so that way you can just start up your Windows VM from Ubuntu instead of rebooting.