PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Conky- top and top_mem

blur xc
June 13th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Could someone explain do me what he difference is between the top and top_mem variable in conky? Especailly since both can display cpu% and mem%, and why I should have them in my conky?

I'm finally picking up steam in uderstanding how it all works- Here's my screenshot so far. Bear in mind it's a work in progress- I take that back... when I browse to find a file to upload, it doens't show any files in my pictures folder...

BM

b.a.w
June 13th, 2009, 05:21 PM
top gives you the top processes based on cpu usage. top_mem gives you the process ranked by memory usage. Taking a line from my .conkyrc

${top name 1} ${top pid 1} ${top cpu 1}This gives the number one process name ranked by cpu usage, the pid of that process, and its cpu usage.

${top_mem name 1} ${top_mem pid 1} ${top_mem mem 1}

Using top_mem, this gives the number one process ranked by memory usage, the pid of that process, and the percent memory usage.

It is also valid to use {top mem 1}. This gives the memory usage of the top cpu process. The same goes for {top_mem cpu 1}.

blur xc
June 13th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks, seems to make a little sense. I just confusing to me since both top and top mem have cpu and mem percentages, at least from the .conkyrc that I saved and have been hacking. Here's what I ahve so far. My desktop has a ways to go, but so far I'm liking the conky. I'm considering adding some up/down transfer information and calling it good, though once I settle on a theme and background, I'll most likely have to adjust the colors.

Thanks again,
BM