PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 9.04 install freezes

Lupgaru
June 13th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Running 8.04, try to install 9.04 on a Dell and after selecting install the display locks up and every thing stops. I have to turn off the computer just to start up again. I have already installed this disk on 4 other computers with no problems.
Could it be Hardware related?

free-radical
June 13th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I had this problem with a dual-monitor system and a nvidia-card. don't really know what the root cause of this failure was. but with just one monitor, the installation procedure went on without problems.

Canezila
June 13th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I also had the same problem. Weird thing is that on one of my computers with similar setup, it didnt freeze. It turned out to be the NVIDIA driver for me. I did a quick and easy sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg from alt+ctrl+F! while at the login screen... rebooted and BAM I havent had a freeze since. Of course bummer is that youhave no NVIDIA, but if you were like me, it is great having a rock solid system again. I hope that helps....

Brian

Lupgaru
June 13th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I also had the same problem. Weird thing is that on one of my computers with similar setup, it didnt freeze. It turned out to be the NVIDIA driver for me. I did a quick and easy sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg from alt+ctrl+F! while at the login screen... rebooted and BAM I havent had a freeze since. Of course bummer is that youhave no NVIDIA, but if you were like me, it is great having a rock solid system again. I hope that helps....

Brian
I think you guys are right about the Nvidia. The other installs were on laptops and this Dell desktop has a Nvidia card installed by my Brother Inlaw for games in XP. I got rid of XP (Love Linux) and now I guess I have to disable the Nvidia. I'm new at that. How would I do it and could I redo it later? Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks