PDA

View Full Version : Best place for noobs to C/C++ programming to post

chipppy
June 13th, 2009, 03:42 PM
(SOLVED =very helpful community in here)

Good Evening

I am a noob trying to learn my first language. Specifically I have chosen C++ (I like a challenge).

Where is the best place for noob's like me to post our millions of questions during the noob phase of learning.

I don't want to clutter up or annoy the more advance guys with my simple questions.

Thanks heaps for any and all assistance

Cheers
chipppy

benj1
June 13th, 2009, 03:51 PM
here in programming talk.
i don't think anyone will mind millions of simple questions, just so long as you attempt to do some research to solve the problem on your own first,

the programming talk stickies have links to some good programming resources.

have fun :)

stevescripts
June 13th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I must agree with benj1 about posting questions here - the ... attitude ...
(and experience level or *lack* thereof ...) of certain usenet groups out there can be quite discouraging to some folks.

Just remember to make an effort on your own!

Steve

Mirge
June 13th, 2009, 04:24 PM
here in programming talk.
i don't think anyone will mind millions of simple questions, just so long as you attempt to do some research to solve the problem on your own first,

the programming talk stickies have links to some good programming resources.

have fun :)

Agreed, lets hear 'em!

TheBuzzSaw
June 13th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Question #1 -- Why is C++ so awesome?

(I already know the answer. I'm quizzing you guys. XD)

soltanis
June 13th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Trick question.

miniCruzer
June 13th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I took a programming class a few years back, and haven't touched it since. I do have some old codes written on a CD... titled:
cin>> Sam
cout<<Hoffman

I had a little program for Lyrics and it was pretty cool, but buggy.

Last year I took a class on C#... It's pretty cool. I made a few games on it.

This year... in a couple weeks actually... I am taking a class on C++ and Java! Sounds fun, huh? You bet it is... :D

...So coming from a Code Junkie... You will have lots of fun with C/C++...

(PS YouTube helps... a lot ;))

Oh, and one other thing... Watch your brackets!!! (You'll figure out what I mean when you get into the meat of C++)

Sinkingships7
June 13th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Dream.In.Code is also pretty noob friendly, as long as you show an honest attempt. Other than that, we're not too bad about it here. You'll probably get several recommendations to learn Python (if this is your first language) instead, including one from me, but as long as you're doing what makes you happy...

We have a few gurus here. Keep an eye out for dwhitney67's posts. She's very smart (good C++ skills) but can be harsh about the truth, so don't be stubborn :p.

chipppy
June 14th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Good Evening

WOW!!!!!! thanks heaps for the encouragement and acceptance.

I have had a few people already in different forums mention to learn python first. I understand thier concerns and thinking but I am a person that like to jump in the deep end and learn to swim (fast preferably).

I suppose one question comes to mind in that am I better to learn C++ or C# from a noob point of view. From my research C# is newer so my thinking ifinding assistance will be a little harder, whereas C++ has been around forever and therefore most people have at least dabbled in it enough to assist a noob. Once I have the basics down then moving onto C# will no require the same steep learning curve.

I shall lodge the questions as I come across the problems.

Again thanks heaps.

Cheers
chipppy

noerrorsfound
June 14th, 2009, 02:47 PM
C# would be easier, but you said you like a challenge. An easier language, if you later decide that's what you want, is Python.

CptPicard
June 14th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I would like to disagree with your notions here, they seem backwards...

I am a person that like to jump in the deep end and learn to swim (fast preferably).

Well, unless you're really good, doing things the hard way and learning fast can be incompatible. C++ is a language with a lot of technical detail before you can be half decent plus a need to learn quite a bit of OOP design while you're also learning things like memory management... all of which are IMO of not the greatest beneficial consequence at your point of the learning process.

From my research C# is newer so my thinking ifinding assistance will be a little harder

It is newer, more modern, "easier"... you'll find all the assistance you'll need with it.

whereas C++ has been around forever and therefore most people have at least dabbled in it enough to assist a noob.

Umm... yes, a lot of people know just enough C++ to be dangerous. I would not listen to them. :)

Once I have the basics down then moving onto C# will no require the same steep learning curve.

You can get "the basics down" more easily in C#. The whole issue works the other way around than you think -- once you have the basics down in a comfortable language, the C++ learning curve will be less steep as you will simply be adding the C++-specific details.

Of course, I am firmly in the "learn python first" camp, but I guess C# would do :)

miniCruzer
June 14th, 2009, 05:35 PM
From my experience (and a user of both) C# has been more enjoyable. I've been able to create programs of higher complexity. Say you were to write a program to manage a Mom and Pop Convenient store, C# would be the way to go. C++ is indeed old, but shouldn't keep you from learning it.
I wish you the best of luck at whichever language you decide you would like to learn. :)

Edit: Oh, and I also forgot to mention that as I go through my programming classes, they list C++ as the first, C# as the Advanced, and C++ & Java as Advanced 2.0 - maybe that'll influence your decision