PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Gnome apps in KDE

planemanx15
June 13th, 2009, 02:50 PM
This may be a silly question but here it goes.

I have been using Ubuntu for 2 years now and love it. After checking out the Kubuntu site I think I wanna give that a shot but have a question.

I know that apps for KDE work in Gnome (Knotes), but is that reversed as well? I did not like amarok at all and perfer Banshee over anything. Will firefox, wine, open office, moovida and other gnome programs work in KDE?

Another note, I have a toshiba laptop with 2gb ram, 1.7 dual core, and integrated Intel video. Will not having a separate video card effect my video performance noticeably? Right now in Gnome running a program like moovida it window will flash only when an effect is in use (i.e. turning the volume up). I've pretty much gotten use to this, but don't want it to get worse if I make the switch.

izizzle
June 13th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Yes, most GNOME apps can work in KDE if you have the necessary libs installed. I use Kubuntu 9,04 and I have Firefox and Wine working perfectly. Integrated video should not affect your performance too much unless you plan on gaming or perhaps using Kwin/Compiz.

sanderd17
June 13th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Normally there is no problem with using apps in KDE that were made for gnome all the programs you mention will have no problems. I don't know about the video card, I think since it works in gnome it should also work in kde but I'm not sure, maybe you should wait for another answer or just try KDE, you can install it next to gnome without installing a second OS but I can warn you: if you do it that way: you will have tons of extra apps: all the standard applications of KDE will be installed next to the applications you have already in gnome so in both menus all programs will be doubled. you'll see openoffice and Koffice, rhythmbox and amarok ...

But if I were you: I would give it a try, I tried it for a month but I'm more a gnome man.

aged hippy
June 13th, 2009, 04:28 PM
As sanderd17 said, KDE can easily be installed alongside Gnome, there are instructions here: http://www.debianadmin.com/install-kde-desktop-in-ubuntu.html.
It is a bit of a download - i forget how many Mb - but installing kubuntu-desktop will give the full Kubuntu install.... in fact more, it pulls in some games as well, unless they were installed by Ubuntu, i can't remember. :confused: :)

At the log-in screen you will be able to choose between Gnome and KDE.

I have had no problems what-so-ever with the installation, it seems to run slightly faster than native KDE.... but that may be my imagination.... :p