PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How long does it take Ubuntu to install?

ds9kirys
June 13th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Good morning!

I started installing Handy Heron yesterday at about 6:00 PM CDT. Since then, I have been treated to a couple of hours viewing the lovely heron graphic (nothing else, just the graphic) and then to a blank white box with the header "install".

Sometime in the middle of the night, the monitor stopped being recognized, so I have no idea at this point what might be going on, other than clearly SOMETHING is going on -- the CD-Rom and the HD are both chattering away like they're best friends who haven't seen each other in 20 years. All in all, I've been at this 12 hours.

Tell me, is this normal? :?

Posted using Windows (on a different PC), but hey! I'm trying!

Synthros
June 13th, 2009, 12:21 PM
The installation typically only takes me about 15 minutes. It's possible that there might be something wrong with the installation disc you're using. You may wanting to try re-burning Ubuntu to a different CD-R at a lower speed, then try using that one to do your install.

gradinaruvasile
June 13th, 2009, 12:23 PM
15 minutes aswell... But the aftermath (configuring/installing stuff) takes much longer...

ajgreeny
June 13th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Yep, agreed 15 to 20 mins from clicking the install button on the desktop. Boot to the live CD again and somewhere on the function keys, F6 I think, you can get a menu that allows you to check the CD you're using.