PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] i686 CPU

AmpRebel
June 13th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I downloaded Ubuntu onto a CD and then put it into my desktop to install it and it gives me this error:

"This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU.
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU."

Is there any way to make this work?

lloyd_b
June 13th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I downloaded Ubuntu onto a CD and then put it into my desktop to install it and it gives me this error:

"This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU.
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU."

Is there any way to make this work?

Other than downloading the correct ISO image? No. x86-64 CPU's can run the older 32 bit code for i686, but not the other way around...

Lloyd B.

AmpRebel
June 13th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Other than downloading the correct ISO image? No. x86-64 CPU's can run the older 32 bit code for i686, but not the other way around...

Lloyd B.

Okay well I have a stupid question then. Where is the correct download? :confused:

cherva
June 13th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Download the 32 bit version. When you go to the download page look for "Custom Options" and underneath it there is a button "32bit version: This works with most computers" This is the version of ubuntu that you need. Have Fun :)

AmpRebel
June 13th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Download the 32 bit version. When you go to the download page look for "Custom Options" and underneath it there is a button "32bit version: This works with most computers" This is the version of ubuntu that you need. Have Fun :)

Alright, thanks. I'll see what I can do. :)