PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Need help preserving /home (migrating from gentoo)

the.drizzle
June 13th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Hello!

OK, I've been fiddling around with kubuntu today on a VM, and I'm sold! I want to install it to my primary machine, but I'm not sure how I go about ensuring that I preserve my /home partition. That is, the current setup (gentoo 2009) is:

/dev/sdc1 ext2 /boot
/dev/sdc2 swap
/dev/sdc3 ext3 /
/dev/sdc4 ext3 /home

I want to install kubuntu to drive 1 and 3, and leave 4 untouched. I'm new to this install-via-a-gui thing, and am not sure how to do this...

Sorry if this is covered in some intro documentation; probably used the wrong search string!

Cheers!

PureLoneWolf
June 13th, 2009, 10:54 AM
During the installation, you will be presented with the partition editor. Choose manual and then make sure that the "Format" flag is only checked for the partitions you are happy to wipe out.

the.drizzle
June 13th, 2009, 10:57 AM
So I just leave the "format" box un-checked, but still make /home the mountpoint for /sdc4? This won't overwrite my existing data?

PureLoneWolf
June 13th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Absolutely - It can't hurt to take a backup/copy of your home folder first, just to be safe though. I am not familiar with Gentoo, so there may well be some gentoo specifics in ".xx" folders that could cause an issue.

the.drizzle
June 13th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Sounds too easy to be true--hence the move though ;)

Thanks, I'll be doing it tomorrow!