PDA

View Full Version : [other] Partition dividing when installing Ubuntu

Adavur
June 13th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Hi folks.

I'm going to install Ubuntu today on my PC. My computer came with three preinstalled partitions: C BOOT, where my Windows XP is placed, E RECOVERY, which I wont change anything ;), and D BACKUP where I currently have the Windows 7 RC installed, just to try it, I swear, I love Linux :D.
But anyway, C BOOT and E RECOVERY should stay as the are, where I want to install Ubuntu is on D BACKUP. My problem is that there is Win7 placed, and I would really like if it could stay there a couple of months more. I would proberbly uninstall it during the summer, but not yet.
Is there a way to "divide" partition D BACKUP into one with about 15 gb to Win7 and one with about 80 gb to Ubuntu without deleting Windows 7 RC? And if yes, can I then kinda "merge" them together after I've uninstalled Windows 7 again, and give the space to Ubuntu?

I know really nothing about this, but could any of you please help me with this. How should I do if I want to keep my to Windows and still have Ubuntu?

Greetings! :)

Mathias.

PureLoneWolf
June 13th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I have Partition Magic, which certainly works for XP partitions, I am not entirely sure about Windows 7 partitions though, I don't know if they messed around with NTFS for Win7.

The GParted live CD seems to be able to work with NTFS for all operations. Give that a try, but always backup...

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/features.php <-- Confirms NTFS

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php <-- download

Hope that helps

Adavur
June 13th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Thank you, I will take a look at it :)

Adavur
June 13th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Just one question: Am I able to divide a partition without deleting any files?

Partyboi2
June 13th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Yes you can resize partitions without having to delete files, but it its always recommended to backup your important stuff before working on partitions.

Adavur
June 13th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Great, thx for the answer. :)