PDA

View Full Version : Prank to pull on a friend

cyclobs
June 13th, 2009, 08:51 AM
hey guys,

ok here is the plan. i have a house mate i wanna play a trick on and i got a plan :)

basically i wanna freak him out so i decided next time i am out of the house and he is home alone i'm going to ssh into my computer and have it start playing random songs :) it's bound to freak him out since he'll have no idea why the computer is playing / stopping songs randomly

only issue is tho is that i dunno how i would get my computer to play songs when i ssh to it :S any help with this guys?

Eisenwinter
June 13th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Get CMUS, which is a console (curses GUI) based music player.

SSH into your machine, fire up CMUS, and play songs.

Or alternatively you could write some bash script to randomly play songs at certain times using some command-line tool like mpg123 or something.

cyclobs
June 13th, 2009, 09:07 AM
haha, nice. it works perfect :)

jonathanysp
June 13th, 2009, 09:08 AM
ok this may be evil but how about ssh into his computer and start playing songs on his computer? This will be 10 times freakier cause he may not care too much about your computer playing music

thisllub
June 13th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I have done it with mpd and pms.
Freaked my daughter out.

It would work better with random sounds like breaking glass and slamming doors.

You could always use aplay as well.

cyclobs
June 13th, 2009, 09:26 AM
ok this may be evil but how about ssh into his computer and start playing songs on his computer? This will be 10 times freakier cause he may not care too much about your computer playing music

the only computer in this house is mine and it's usally locked when i'm not here :)

cyclobs
June 13th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I have done it with mpd and pms.
Freaked my daughter out.

It would work better with random sounds like breaking glass and slamming doors.

You could always use aplay as well.

i tried aplay but i just got white noise :S

Firestem4
June 13th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Do it late at night, have some haunted house sounds goin on..scary music, creepy noises, creaks lol. doors closing... mwuaha!

3rdalbum
June 13th, 2009, 11:17 AM
The sox package includes the "play" command - that's what I'd use.

If your friend uses Linux, you could put this command into his /etc/rc.local, or put it into a script and set it up as a Cron job:

while true; do sleep $(($RANDOM/1000)) && beep -f 2000 -l $(($RANDOM/100)) ; done

You need to install the "beep" package to get this prank to work. If you're trying this command out in a terminal, leave it running and be patient :-)

Rainstride
June 13th, 2009, 12:00 PM
i suggest weird 19-30/40/50's music. the weirder the better.

Eisenwinter
June 13th, 2009, 12:03 PM
i suggest weird 19-30/40/50's music. the weirder the better.
Or music from Doom.

But your suggestion is genius, actually. It's the best one, should definitely go with that.

Something like swing and jazz. :lolflag: