PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the road...

steveneddy
June 13th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I've discovered that Texas has free WI-FI at many roadside travel stops, and it's fast, very fast.

That Firefox 3.5 beta is a cool browser. Just DLed and installed it tonight. I'm impressed.

That Cool-iris, FoxTab and TwitterBar (Firefox add ons) are three great add ons that make Firefox easy, enjoyable and entertaining. Cool-iris and FoxTab are great eye candy add ons for those looking for the next great thing on their desktop.

Living on the road is more enjoyable now with Wi-Fi almost everywhere, cell phone coverage almost everywhere and a great company that actually pays me to travel.

I love it!

All I need now are satellite TV and Satellite Radio and I can sell the house and just live out here on the road.

For those who don't know I am an Over the Road truck driver using Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 64-bit on a two year old System76 laptop (Serval Performance) and I have no problems or issues with e-mail, banking, Flash, wireless internet, DVD video, Bluetooth or other issues that would concern any casual user of any PC operating system.

I have found it reliable and robust for daily use and is practically crash proof.

While others around me fight virus, trojan and spam wars, I just happily do my thing wherever I go. No problems.

I have used Ubuntu since 5.something (Warty I think) and have watched it grow into this powerful suite of applications and operating system that is superior to other mainstream OS's available today.

Myself and two daughters use Ubuntu at home and on personal laptops.

Three PC's running Hardy and one laptop running 8.10 Intrepid.

FuturePilot
June 13th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Sounds like a lot of fun. Glad to see Ubuntu still working great for you :)

cariboo
June 13th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I used to be on the road quite a bit, it was always nice to go home. The only thing I had a problem with is after a night at home, I always had to crack open one eye in the morning just to make sure where I was.

hansdown
June 13th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Good times to 'ya steveneddy. Enjoy the times.

Tews
June 13th, 2009, 09:56 AM
As they say, you are now a paid professional tourist...LOL!

I was an OTR driver for 15 years. Ive been in every state except Hawaii, all provinces of Canada, Mexico and even inside the Artic Circle with my truck. It truly is the adventure of a lifetime .... Have Fun!!

steveneddy
June 14th, 2009, 04:15 PM
As they say, you are now a paid professional tourist...LOL!

Have Fun!!

How true - how very true.

And thank you very much.

steveneddy
June 14th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I used to be on the road quite a bit, it was always nice to go home. The only thing I had a problem with is after a night at home, I always had to crack open one eye in the morning just to make sure where I was.

Indeed.

I've woke up at home thinking I was on the truck and vise versa.

The funnest part of this adventure is finding free Wi-Fi, free ice (ice machines at hotels are usually outside) and a WalMart. When you get homesick on the road, just go into a WalMart and you feel like you are at home. At least I do anyway.

Thanks for the kind words, guys.