PDA

View Full Version : Should I install Ubuntu or Windows XP for my mom?

gymophett
June 13th, 2009, 02:58 AM
She is a kindergarten teacher. So I know she will need either Microsoft Word or OpenOffice.
She edits her yearbook online, does lesson plans, etc.
I don't really think she does anything else.
I will theme her Ubuntu as XP with a theme package I found which makes it almost identical.
Any thoughts?
Thanks community. :)

overdrank
June 13th, 2009, 03:02 AM
She is a kindergarten teacher. So I know she will need either Microsoft Word or OpenOffice.
I will theme her Ubuntu as XP with a theme package I found which makes it almost identical.
Any thoughts?

Well it seems you have made the decision on Ubuntu, Why not dual boot and let her choose which one she likes :)
That is what I did for my mother and now she uses Ubuntu.

xavierp94
June 13th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Let her decide. She is the one that is going to be using it.

gymophett
June 13th, 2009, 03:16 AM
But she is closed off to anything new.
She'll be like. No NO NO!
And the XP DVD I have has already been used too many times. :P

BslBryan
June 13th, 2009, 03:18 AM
If everything's compatible, and you can take an hour or so to teach her everything she needs, I'd try Ubuntu with the XP install disc close by just in case.

If she ends up using Ubuntu, I would suggest an application I contribute to called SchoolTool, which will help with her lesson plans, grades, etc. when she's at home.

Daisuke_Aramaki
June 13th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Let her decide. If she doesn't want Linux, then just put windows, don't try to force it on her.

Vostrocity
June 13th, 2009, 03:40 AM
For a teacher I think Windows is actually better since a lot of educational software aren't Linux-friendly. And if you do get Ubuntu, I don't think you should skin it that way. It makes it confusing and it seems like a cheap knockoff.

Dark Aspect
June 13th, 2009, 03:45 AM
Any thoughts?

Install Ubuntu first and if she complains a lot than load windows XP. Install Microsoft word via wine with whatever version works and lock wine from updating to versions that might cause a regression. Install flash and java in case her yearbook requires one or the other and be done with it.

lykwydchykyn
June 13th, 2009, 03:51 AM

Does she have a legal license of Windows? Are you giving her this computer, or is it something she is paying/has paid for?

I will install whatever OS someone wants me to install, but I will not install it illegally -- I don't care who they are. If they want a commercial OS, they have to go to the pains of acquiring a legal license, or they can get someone else to install it.

gymophett
June 13th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Install Ubuntu first and if she complains a lot than load windows XP. Install Microsoft word via wine with whatever version works and lock wine from updating to versions that might cause a regression. Install flash and java in case her yearbook requires one or the other and be done with it.

This is what I was planning on. Someone above said if I put an XP skin on it would play as a cheap knock off.
I don't want my mom to see all the Applications, Places, System thing and be like "What's this? Where do I go? Huh? I don't get it".

gymophett
June 13th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Does she have a legal license of Windows? Are you giving her this computer, or is it something she is paying/has paid for?

I will install whatever OS someone wants me to install, but I will not install it illegally -- I don't care who they are. If they want a commercial OS, they have to go to the pains of acquiring a legal license, or they can get someone else to install it.

That is the problem. It has 1GB of ram and it has a Vista License. Not XP.
Vista runs like dirt on it, XP runs great and so does Ubuntu, but we used the XP license too many times, which means I would have to hack it. :-(
That would make me feel guilty, as I don't do anything illegally either. :/

Vostrocity
June 13th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Is it even possible to install XP without a proper code? I thought Microsoft started using their activation servers starting with XP.

Dark Aspect
June 13th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Is it even possible to install XP without a proper code? I thought Microsoft started using their activation servers starting with XP.

LOL - fail, you can hack the holy hell out of XP, your thinking of vista I believe.

gletob
June 13th, 2009, 04:18 AM
I would install both and simply say "All that I ask in return for setting up your laptop is that you try this for one week, If it doesn't work out then I will remove it and you can just use Windows"

There are cracks and patches that circumvent that, but this is not the place to speak of these such things.

dioltas
June 13th, 2009, 04:22 AM
tbh I think you'd be better off with windows, even though I think ubuntu looks better and everything. Any apps she gets for school will cause her serious headaches especially if your not there to help her out. It would be nice to get her using ubuntu though. Set it up with a nice theme and background and some educational apps and ask her to just try it for one evening with the gaurentee of switching it back after.

Gizenshya
June 13th, 2009, 04:24 AM
I would install both and simply say "All that I ask in return for setting up your laptop is that you try this for one week, If it doesn't work out then I will remove it and you can just use Windows"

There are cracks and patches that circumvent that, but this is not the place to speak of these such things.

decided not to go there...

gymophett
June 13th, 2009, 04:51 AM
tbh I think you'd be better off with windows, even though I think ubuntu looks better and everything. Any apps she gets for school will cause her serious headaches especially if your not there to help her out. It would be nice to get her using ubuntu though. Set it up with a nice theme and background and some educational apps and ask her to just try it for one evening with the gaurentee of switching it back after.

This is what I will do, as we are on summer vacation now, if she doesn't like it, I can always install XP. :)

Rainstride
June 13th, 2009, 04:55 AM

i would go with the ubuntu with a xp theme. safer, easier, legal.

gymophett
June 13th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Hmm. What could this be? :P
UBUNTU 9.04
with XP theme.
Shhh. She doesn't know.

Gizenshya
June 13th, 2009, 03:12 PM
so it's a laptop?

pwnst*r
June 13th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Let her decide. She is the one that is going to be using it.

^this

wil08son
June 13th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I think that you should either dual boot Ubuntu & XP, or give her Ubuntu first, with the option to switch back to Windows if she has trouble with it.

blairm
June 14th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Dual booting is the best way to go; when I bought my parents a new computer loaded it with XP and Ubuntu. They use XP about twice a year, when an uncle sends files from some family tree program that won't open in Ubuntu.

All I did was sit my parents down and explain where things were; renamed a few apps as well so they didn't have to remember what a bunch of unfamilar programs did.

Also explained the advantages of Ubuntu eg the lack of viruses and malware.

The frequency of calls about computer problems dropped dramatically.

Blair

barryween
June 22nd, 2009, 06:29 PM
I think you are trying to do a horrible thing. There is no reason to force ANYONE who doesn't want/know/need Ubuntu to "SHARE IN THE FREEDOM AND THROW OFF THE COMMIE CHAINS OF MICRO$HAFT!!!!!" If she is a school teacher then she NEEDS Windows for teacher aid programs plus schools do stuff with Windows for their teachers. Second, If it is a laptop that the school gave her I'm pretty positive that is highly illegal. And third, you keep talking about how she is "technologically impaired" why would you install Ubuntu? I would say I am fairly good with Computers and Ubuntu gave me headaches when I tried it, not to mention it crashing my computer when I tried to install it. But what you CAN do is come back when you've seen if this can be legally done on her laptop and if it CAN, go install Wubi and see if she likes that. That way she can Dual boot and even if you can't install Ubuntu I would bet that you can install something like wubi (it installs like a Windows app you can just delete). But don't try to force her to do that either, sit down with her and give her a detailed talk about it, without any biased crap about how much XP sucks and how awesome Ubuntu is (Not like you would do this but I'm just saying) and see how she responds.

Tipped OuT
June 22nd, 2009, 06:31 PM
Windows XP, unless your mom knows or wants to know about computers, then install Ubuntu.

monsterstack
June 22nd, 2009, 06:38 PM
If your mother can do all of the things she uses a computer for now on Ubuntu with minimum fuss, then Ubuntu is the best choice. If she has anything to tie her to Windows, however, giving her Linux will only cause headaches. The people I have helped with Linux had mostly the following needs,

Browse the internet;
check and send emails;
download music or books;
create and edit simple documents and spreadhseets;
the ability to play videos and DVDs.

If that's all she really needs, then of course Linux is the better choice. If she has incompatible peripherals or she really needs some Windows-only app, though, Linux cannot help her much.

starcannon
June 22nd, 2009, 06:56 PM

Since this can be either or, then OOo is a very nice program, as nice imo as MS Office, and you can not beat the price. Note you can use it in XP as well.

I don't really think she does anything else. If her online yearbook editor does not require Internet Explorer, then there should be no issue with Firefox. You should find out before you make a final decision.

Any thoughts?
Thanks community. :)I have no problem what-so-ever with XP themes; that said, I don't know that I would go that route with a new user. Ubuntu by and large has some differences from XP, and it would be very good for a new user to understand that going in. My opinion on the matter is, if I theme out Ubuntu to look like XP, then I may run into problems explaining why Ubuntu does not work like XP.

Ultimately, it may be best to write out a list of pros and cons; be honest, and then let your mother decide. XP will continue recieving security updates unitl 2014, so there is no rush or hurry either way.

You can greatly reduce some of the malware threats by simply setting everything up on an administrator account under XP, and then giving her a Limited account for her day to day useage. If she needs to add software later, or do some other administration tasks, she can simply log in as admin, take care of the chores, then reboot into her Limited account.

I think Ubuntu is best; and, I'd really like for an education professional, particularly a kindergarden teacher to be using it, and exposing kids at that age to the wide world of possability's concerning computers and operating systems; but I do not think it should be done in any sort of clandestine way.

GLAHF

hessiess
June 22nd, 2009, 07:11 PM
XP is an antique, if you must use windows at least use Vista or the 7 RC.

rob2uk
June 22nd, 2009, 07:17 PM
XP is an antique, if you must use windows at least use Vista or the 7 RC.

You obviously missed the part where they said that Vista didn't run well on that machine...

el.otro
June 22nd, 2009, 07:41 PM
I think you would need to follow the procedure someone mentioned: first find out if it is possible to change it, then list exactly what programs she'll need (are they REQUIRED by the school?) Did she buy the laptop? If no special programs (or incompatible/irreplaceable) are needed, talk to her about using Linux.

*Do not* talk about how it is better, but about how it is different: I remember, entering the Linux World, reading an article (on linux.org I think) that pointed that Linux is not Windows, the problem is that we have been enculturated to what a "computer" should do and we *expect* it to behave and ask from us the same things. Linux (and FOSS in general) started as an educational project, and under its complexity, that is what is asks from you: learn about me, talk about me, distribute me, change me, *share me*...I think your mother, as a teacher, should be open to such things, if you talk about it openly and consider the "legal" limitations and professional requirements, SHE will decide by herself.

Besides, I don't want to be rude, but, if she doesn't understand or have (or get, from your proposal) any interest in linux, she is not ready for it.

A good idea would be to let her try a LiveCD.

:confused: What else could I tell you? :confused:

Good Luck

Tristam Green
June 22nd, 2009, 08:40 PM
1) Take into account what she really *needs*

2) Give her what she wants, she's the customer.

Getting idealistic when supporting a user, especially a family member, is dirty pool.

hyperdude111
June 22nd, 2009, 10:08 PM
Quite honestly I would recommend WXP. She is not a computer enthusiast and is probably not going to want to learn a new system (even if its themed). To make it easier for her, give the choice but do not push for your ideals if she choses XP.

Paqman
June 22nd, 2009, 10:47 PM

That's your answer then. You can't (and shouldn't) force Linux on someone who doesn't want it.

arcdrag
June 22nd, 2009, 10:51 PM
Any thoughts?

I honestly can't see any reason to use Windows for a casual user. If her yearbook and lesson plans are done via an online program then OS shouldn't matter. If you're using Office 2003, then there's really no difference between that and open office either.

All in all though one of the key things in the decision is what type of user she is. If she is the type of user that memorizes every step of how to accomplish her goals, then you should probably keep her with XP as relearning this will probably be frustrating to her. If she's the type that figures out how to use new software without much trouble, Ubuntu is probably a lot better choice for her.

Also, just a couple suggestions if you do choose Ubuntu and she is a very novice user. Go ahead and populate her desktop with launchers to the few programs she will be using on a regular basis (ie Firefox, Open office, etc...). Then go ahead and save a copy of an ubuntu help guide such as http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html to the desktop. I've been slowly "turning" my family members away from the dark side this way and I've learned that the transition is far easier for them if these couple small little steps are taken.

konnorrigby
June 23rd, 2009, 06:19 AM
im thinking ou should dual boot for her if you need help doing this i can help you.
-konnor

etnlIcarus
June 23rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
Currently contemplating reinstalling on my sister's family's computer. I'm not even considering *nix for the simple reason that doing so would result in my going from being one of three people troubleshooting and fixing that computer, to one of one people, covering a much heavier workload (especially during the adjustment period).

The computer is ancient (256mb RAM, think the processor is barely a 686) so I'll be installing a totally legal, "Performance Edition", of XP, will just be using the inbuilt firewall and won't be installing any anti-virus/spyware software for the time being.

To lessen this setup's vulnerability, I'll be setting it's users up as limited users, installing firefox & thunderbird and will employ the art of wishful thinking. As I'm pretty sure Firefox can't receive security updates while only running on a limited account (though I'm pretty sure windows update can get around this), I'll no doubt have to regularly go over there and keep **** updated, myself.

Slug71
June 23rd, 2009, 02:23 PM
Xp

savantelite
June 23rd, 2009, 02:47 PM
I didn't ask, but she didn't have a computer before that. One day I just put my old laptop on the kitchen counter with Ubuntu installed and said this is yours now. Let me know if you have any questions.

rob2uk
June 23rd, 2009, 09:09 PM
I'll be installing a totally legal, "Performance Edition", of XP, will just be using the inbuilt firewall and won't be installing any anti-virus/spyware software for the time being.

Please, PLEASE, tell me this is some kind of sick joke?

earthpigg
June 23rd, 2009, 10:28 PM
Linux Mint's menu is very windows-like, and iirc you can set it to ignore all updates except security updates pretty easily and to auto-download those.

there is also Edubuntu to consider -- my guess is most of the apps included in that are cross-platform (since most GPL stuff that isn't a system tool is), so it may give her some free (as in beer) stuff she can recommend to her student's parents and it will run on windows or mac, too.

i agree with the above people about setting her up with dual-boot and desktop icons.

etnlIcarus
June 24th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Please, PLEASE, tell me this is some kind of sick joke?

No joke. I had to remove Anti-vir from her current install as it made the system unusable. She's currently got AVG on there, which isn't much better. The system is simply too old for any of these heavy anti-virus apps to run in the background.