PDA

View Full Version : I graduated! Yay!

dragos240
June 13th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Okay, so I graduated..... middle school. But now I am going to finally be in high school, I just hope nobody succeeds in making me switch back to windows..... :( that would stink >.<

swoll1980
June 13th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Grats! Now comes the fun part.

Tipped OuT
June 13th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Okay, so I graduated..... middle school. But now I am going to finally be in high school, I just hope nobody succeeds in making me switch back to windows..... :( that would stink >.<

Bahaha, scrub.

KamilW
June 13th, 2009, 03:22 AM
coincidence? i just graduated middle school too ;)

ubuntu27
June 13th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Congratulations. I don't think you will be forced to use Windows in High School except when you use the school's computers.
If you bring your own laptop, there should be no problem.

You can always buy a USB Drive/Thumb Drive/Jump Drive (Howerver is called in your area) and install Portable Applications (http://portableapps.com/) such as OpenOffice.org Portable (http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable), Firefox Portable (http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable), etc. in it.

http://portableapps.com/

P1umb3r
June 13th, 2009, 03:26 AM
High school isn't fun at all, except for maybe senior year. You do get a lot more freedom though, especially once you get your license. Just get ready for tons of awkward stages in your life from grades 9 and 10.

Vostrocity
June 13th, 2009, 03:38 AM
LOL! You're still in middle school?! Oh wait I just graduated last year. :D

Dark Aspect
June 13th, 2009, 03:40 AM
I just hope nobody succeeds in making me switch back to windows

Virtualbox (http://www.virtualbox.org/)+Wine (http://www.winehq.org/)

gletob
June 13th, 2009, 04:22 AM
I just finished freshman year so...

I got used to the Sophmores (that ironically failed algebra 1) calling me a "Freshie"

Oh and to whoever said that high school was fun until senior year: I had a lot of fun this year

BTW: No one can force you to do anything, just be yourself and have fun

Mister LinOx
June 13th, 2009, 04:44 AM
This was indeed my last year in middle school as well. I will not really miss it, to be honest. My school was a pain in the as&.

PatrickMoore
June 13th, 2009, 04:58 AM
wow that dates me. i feel really old at the ripe old age of 24. i better start going to the early bird specials

Skripka
June 13th, 2009, 05:03 AM
wow that dates me. i feel really old at the ripe old age of 24. i better start going to the early bird specials

Hush Wipper-Snapper. GET OFF MY LAWN!

gymophett
June 13th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Ahh. I did too! :D
Congrats.
Our 8th grade at my old school was at the high school, and operated like the high school. You do have more freedom and such, but in the end, its still just regular ole school. :/

Eisenwinter
June 13th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Congratulations, you've managed to survive one hellish place.

I hope you'll be able to make it through high school. Watch out for the sophmores in the first few days, and remember not to be a jerk towards the freshmen when you're a sophmore.

I'm 20, btw, high school dropout, heh...

dragos240
June 13th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Congratulations, you've managed to survive one hellish place.

I hope you'll be able to make it through high school. Watch out for the sophmores in the first few days, and remember not to be a jerk towards the freshmen when you're a sophmore.

I'm 20, btw, high school dropout, heh...

Why'd you drop out? You just jeopardized your life :o

Eisenwinter
June 13th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Why'd you drop out? You just jeopardized your life :o
I didn't jeopardize anything, maybe except becoming a money grabbing corporate zombie who has papers with words on them so people think I'm oh so smart and god-like.

I hated school from day 1 of the first grade, and quitting/dropping out was the best thing I ever did in my life.

My parents will testify. I dropped out at 15, just before the 9th year ended (which I didn't finish, of course, since I dropped).

My parents said they saw a significant change in my mood, they saw that I truly became a happier person. I became more outgoing, I would laugh more, etc.

Lets look at it this way:

You go to school, for 12 years. What do you end up with? A bunch of papers, and a whole bunch of fake knowledge that you DO NOT NEED IN ORDER TO SURVIVE. (Do not take the caps as "shouting", it was merely to emphasize).

How does knowing what happened 500 years ago (which I can't even know if it's actually true, or if they're just lying to me), help me survive? How does it help me grow and evolve spiritually, creatively?

It doesn't. All it does is sit in my brain and pop up every now and then to "remind me" that I supposedly know what happened 500 years ago.

All theoretical knowledge, which is what you obsorb in school, is fake knowledge. It's not true knowledge.

True knowledge comes only from experiences. True knowledge can not be gained by just reading a book.

In order to really know something, you must feel it.

Woah... I got really off topic here... heh.

TO MODS: if this message feels inappropriate (what? you mean you're brainwashed?) for this forum, please edit/delete it and notify me of your actions. Thank you.

Sealbhach
June 13th, 2009, 12:18 PM
TO MODS: if this message feels inappropriate (what? you mean you're brainwashed?) for this forum, please edit/delete it and notify me of your actions. Thank you.

To me, this comment here is evidence that you've already learned most of the important stuff in life. It will stand you in good stead.

Eisenwinter
June 13th, 2009, 12:21 PM
To me, this comment here is evidence that you've already learned most of the important stuff in life. It will stand you in good stead.

I just don't want them to think I'm trying to start some sort of war or anything... lol...

Vostrocity
June 13th, 2009, 09:55 PM
At my school freshmen are at their own campus, so there's no conflict with sophomores. :D

Dharmachakra
June 13th, 2009, 10:03 PM
That was probably the funniest post I've ever seen on this forum.

clonne4crw
June 25th, 2009, 12:49 AM
I did too! Planning on spreading Linux goodness next year.

TheLions
June 25th, 2009, 01:00 AM
You go to school, for 12 years. What do you end up with? A bunch of papers, and a whole bunch of fake knowledge that you DO NOT NEED IN ORDER TO SURVIVE. (Do not take the caps as "shouting", it was merely to emphasize).

How does knowing what happened 500 years ago (which I can't even know if it's actually true, or if they're just lying to me), help me survive? How does it help me grow and evolve spiritually, creatively?

If you would live in past 500 years ago, guess what would you do for living. You would be a peasant shoveling crap all day.

You say that knowledge is useless. Yes it is meaningless if you try to use it in past, but it can be very useful in future.

Also you know how to install and use linux on your pc. How would that help you getting you stomach full 500 years ago?

paul_be
June 25th, 2009, 01:06 AM

If you feel strongly about linux (and the school does not have tux workstations) you can always bug the principle/counselors/school IT people/whoever, and talk them into adding some linux workstations. Most people just need to be informed about linux!!!

chriswyatt
June 25th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Most people still think you need to be an IT expert to install Linux, I try to persuade them that Ubuntu's easier to install than Windows but they don't believe me :P

RiceMonster
June 25th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Been out of high school for two years now (I'm 20). Currently a college student doing a work term. Glad to be out of high school, personally. I never liked it.

But yeah, congrats.

I didn't jeopardize anything, maybe except becoming a money grabbing corporate zombie who has papers with words on them so people think I'm oh so smart and god-like.*snip*

Sounds like you're trying to make excuses for yourself. Just so you know, going through highschool and post secondary (university, college, etc) doesn't have to make you "a money grabbing corporate zombie who has papers with words on them so people think I'm oh so smart and god-like". It does, however, give you a lot more choice about what you want to do for a living. There isn't much jobs for people these days without even a highschool diploma.

dragos240
June 25th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Been out of high school for two years now (I'm 20). Currently a college student doing a work term. Glad to be out of high school, personally. I never liked it.

But yeah, congrats.

I'm out of middle school. Not high school, not too far!

jonian_g
June 25th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I didn't jeopardize anything, maybe except becoming a money grabbing corporate zombie who has papers with words on them so people think I'm oh so smart and god-like.

I hated school from day 1 of the first grade, and quitting/dropping out was the best thing I ever did in my life.

My parents will testify. I dropped out at 15, just before the 9th year ended (which I didn't finish, of course, since I dropped).

My parents said they saw a significant change in my mood, they saw that I truly became a happier person. I became more outgoing, I would laugh more, etc.

Lets look at it this way:

It doesn't. All it does is sit in my brain and pop up every now and then to "remind me" that I supposedly know what happened 500 years ago.

All theoretical knowledge, which is what you obsorb in school, is fake knowledge. It's not true knowledge.

True knowledge comes only from experiences. True knowledge can not be gained by just reading a book.

In order to really know something, you must feel it.

Woah... I got really off topic here... heh.

What I've learned from school and university is that if you go only for the papers, you will get only the papers. If you go for the knowledge, you will get the papers and the knowledge.

At least scool helped you write the above post. I'm not aware of a way to learn reading and writing based on experience.

wojox
June 25th, 2009, 01:31 AM
Congrats !!!!!

I dropped out ov skool. I thunk it wuz a whaste of tyme

gregh7470
June 25th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Congratulations. I don't think you will be forced to use Windows in High School except when you use the school's computers.
If you bring your own laptop, there should be no problem.

You can always buy a USB Drive/Thumb Drive/Jump Drive (Howerver is called in your area) and install Portable Applications (http://portableapps.com/) such as OpenOffice.org Portable (http://portableapps.com/apps/office/openoffice_portable), Firefox Portable (http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable), etc. in it.

http://portableapps.com/

Better yet - use the thumb drive and install Jaunty on it...use the usb-creator under the admin menu :D

Tipped OuT
June 25th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Congrats !!!!!

I dropped out ov skool. I thunk it wuz a whaste of tyme

You're joking right?

dragos240
June 25th, 2009, 01:56 AM
You're joking right?

I hope he is.