PDA

View Full Version : Complete friendly guide to what a Mac is, a PC, and who Linux is

weblordpepe
June 13th, 2009, 01:38 AM
UPDATED:
Hi everyone.

I'm not the first person to notice that there are vast numbers of debates online about the pros and cons of computer systems.

What I think I am the first to notice is that people have a very bad habbit of mis-labeling what they are arguing for or against. I have come to realize that a general-education course is needed for all the people out there who discuss/compare systems. So, I have created a down to earth, full explanation of just what each element is.

I have explained exactly the difference between a "Mac", a "PC" and even explained the paradigm difference of Mac/PC versus Linux. This is the ultimate explanation, in simple words, how it all works.

I explain:

* CPU types, x86, ARM, PPC
* Operating Systems: Windows, Mac
* Difference in Paradigm: Who is Linux?
* Difference between a OS and a Kernel: Ubuntu Versus Linux
* GNU / Free software
* Introduce Android, the future, and the up-coming ARM vs x86 wars.

Web version: http://silenceisdefeat.com/~weblordpepe/macpclinux/macpclinux.html
Video Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YfSQ3XP9OA

I would very much welcome your feedback. This video is not an argument or debate. It's simply an explanation, and it is for everybody to learn from.

Jimleko211
June 13th, 2009, 06:00 AM
This is pretty nice, I showed it to my girlfriend, and she kinda understands some of the stuff I'm talking about now.

weblordpepe
June 13th, 2009, 08:13 AM
This is pretty nice, I showed it to my girlfriend, and she kinda understands some of the stuff I'm talking about now.:) Thanks dude.

mr-woof
June 13th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Nice video, I'll show that to the GF :)

Love the smoking jacket as well :D

SunnyRabbiera
June 13th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Actually you can buy some linuxes in stores, I have seen copies of Ubuntu and Opensuse in a best buy.
Redhat in a staples.

weblordpepe
June 13th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Actually you can buy some linuxes in stores, I have seen copies of Ubuntu and Opensuse in a best buy.
Redhat in a staples. Hi dude yeah I might not have been clear in the video: Yes you can buy linux-based operating systems on computers in retail stores.

But it's "Ubuntu" or "Open SuSE" that you get on your computer in stores, not an operating system called "Linux". If only I could edit the video :/ I personally bought my EEE PC with Xandros Linux. It sucked majorly and also blew chunks. So I put on Ubuntu :)

My next video may be a series of opinions and rants. I will see how this video turns out. So far people seem to like it.

Thanks for your feedback everybody!

SunnyRabbiera
June 13th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Hi dude yeah I might not have been clear in the video: Yes you can buy linux-based operating systems on computers in retail stores.

But it's "Ubuntu" or "Open SuSE" that you get on your computer in stores, not an operating system called "Linux". If only I could edit the video :/ I personally bought my EEE PC with Xandros Linux. It sucked majorly and also blew chunks. So I put on Ubuntu :)

My next video may be a series of opinions and rants. I will see how this video turns out. So far people seem to like it.

Thanks for your feedback everybody!

It just seemed like you said "yopu cant buy linux in a store" with your wording

weblordpepe
June 13th, 2009, 09:37 AM
It just seemed like you said "yopu cant buy linux in a store" with your wording Yeah sorry about that. I woke up in the middle of the night & made it all up on the spot. ;)

hatten
June 13th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Can you write the things you say down? I much prefer reading about stuff like this than seeing videos with people talking.

nmccrina
June 13th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I personally bought my EEE PC with Xandros Linux. It sucked majorly and also blew chunks. So I put on Ubuntu :)

I love this wording! It made me :lolflag: I can see the thread in General Help now: "Can someone please help me? My operating system started sucking majorly, and now all of a sudden its blowing chunks, too. What can I do?".

Not to make fun of your plight, it must have been awful.

MikeTheC
June 13th, 2009, 03:56 PM
What I think I am the first to notice is that people have a very bad habbit of mis-labeling what they are arguing for or against.
No offense or anything, and I'm glad you want to help bring sanity to the masses, but the thing is that most people are myopic and wear blinders about so much in life. That this is expressed in the tech industry is incidental; life is rife with folks like those you're describing.

And that's also assuming you can even understand the other person, as frequently the spelling and grammar is so bad as to render the person's intents -- whatever they may happen to be -- utterly unintelligible by others.

So, um... good luck with your efforts, sir.

aysiu
June 13th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Can you write the things you say down? I much prefer reading about stuff like this than seeing videos with people talking.
Ditto.

About 99 out of 100 times, if someone on the forums posts a link to a video, I never click on it. I can read or skim an article or blog post within seconds. A video usually takes at least a few minutes to sit through.

weblordpepe
June 14th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Can you write the things you say down? I much prefer reading about stuff like this than seeing videos with people talking.Sure. It may take some time though, as there are diagrams to go with it.

I love this wording! It made me I can see the thread in General Help now: "Can someone please help me? My operating system started sucking majorly, and now all of a sudden its blowing chunks, too. What can I do?".

Not to make fun of your plight, it must have been awful.Oh tell me about it dude. Completely the wrong move by Asus. Heck, Ubuntu Jaunty supports it out of the box nows anyways aye!! And yes, major junks.

weblordpepe
June 14th, 2009, 01:31 AM
No offense or anything, and I'm glad you want to help bring sanity to the masses, but the thing is that most people are myopic and wear blinders about so much in life. That this is expressed in the tech industry is incidental; life is rife with folks like those you're describing.

And that's also assuming you can even understand the other person, as frequently the spelling and grammar is so bad as to render the person's intents -- whatever they may happen to be -- utterly unintelligible by others.

So, um... good luck with your efforts, sir.Yes you are completely correct, and I agree entirely.

I have figured, though, that alot of the pseudo-knowledge and propaganda gets spread by keywords etc, and it polutes the space where people look for genuine info. I figure, why not do the same.

Also, my effort of speaking has repeated itself 100+ times so far for each viewer, instead of me speaking it every time at work, home, parties, everywhere I geek speak :)

JordyD
June 14th, 2009, 01:48 AM
If only I could edit the video :/

I'm not experienced in making YouTube videos, so I wouldn't know, but can't you add those little grey boxes? You could create one correcting yourself.

weblordpepe
June 14th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Okay dudes I have just spent a few hours making a document version of my video.
Have a look here:

http://silenceisdefeat.com/~weblordpepe/macpclinux/macpclinux.html

hatten
June 14th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Okay dudes I have just spent a few hours making a document version of my video.
Have a look here:

http://silenceisdefeat.com/~weblordpepe/macpclinux/macpclinux.html
Excellent reading, even though i knew the most of this, the text and layout made it very easy to understand. Bookmarked!

chucky chuckaluck
June 14th, 2009, 02:38 PM
the video's hilarious, though you lost me when you took off the sunglasses. you'd make a good low-budget movie villain.

mrtomservo
June 14th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Great work, Weblordpepe! 8)

weblordpepe
June 15th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Wow thank you very much for the feedback. I encourage you to copy it / spam it to all your geek friends. And refer all those butt holes at work who hassle you about Linux.

You know who I'm talking about :)