PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] ubuntu/xfce vs xubuntu

stuart.reinke
June 13th, 2009, 12:36 AM
I'm sure this question has already been asked, but I can't seem to find it so I'll ask it again.

Is there any difference between an Ubuntu install with the Xfce meta-package installed and set as default compared to an Xubuntu installation?

Chemical Imbalance
June 13th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Xubuntu might include a few more things than plain xfce with Ubuntu like Abiword and some other packages.

The main advantage of Xubuntu for me is that the default install uses about one gb less than Ubuntu's default install. This way I can fit it on my netbook more easily (I have a 4gb ssd).

If you have Ubuntu already installed then just install xubuntu-desktop in synaptic to get the same experience.
Or
sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop in terminal

picopir8
June 13th, 2009, 01:59 AM
There are differences with the default applications that are installed. Xubuntu has apps that are on the lighter side. So if you just use a default install xubuntu will have a smaller footprint and use less memory than ubuntu/xfce. However the vast majority of people will add apps they want to use and remove apps they dont use. If you are in the same boat then its probably a wash.