PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a good, easy to use open source wiki tool

empty_spaces
June 12th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I did a search within synaptic and a ton of possible options came up - didiwiki, dokuwiki, kwiki, aswiki, etc.
Anyone have any recommendations?

blackxored
June 12th, 2009, 09:19 PM
mediaWiki??? moinmoin???

Mehall
June 12th, 2009, 09:22 PM
I second MediaWiki.

baizon
June 12th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I'm using MediaWiki too :-)
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Running_MediaWiki_on_Ubuntu

cariboo
June 12th, 2009, 09:26 PM
+1 for mediawiki, easy to install and easy to maintain. Another plus, it's in the repositories.

empty_spaces
June 12th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Awesome, thanks for the quick replies guys.
I'll give Mediawiki a go.

koenn
June 12th, 2009, 09:38 PM
it all depends what you want to use that wiki for.

Mediawiki is wellknown (and quality software, and easy to use, maintain and setup) if you want something resembling wikipedia, because that's what it's developed for : a robust wiki for thousands of users, but with hardly any access control. As a matter of fact, the lack of access control / granular user management is mentioned in the mediawiki FAQ as one of the reasons not to use it if you want to control who can edit what in your wiki.

I use dokuwiki, and recommend it if you're looking for a fast, light, efficient wiki, geared towards documentation of software projects or system and network documentation, with good access control and user management. It uses text files in stead of a database, so you have easy access to human-readable files even if your wiki or the system that hosts it crashes.

lykwydchykyn
June 12th, 2009, 09:44 PM
it all depends what you want to use that wiki for.

Mediawiki is wellknown (and quality software, and easy to use, maintain and setup) if you want something resembling wikipedia, because that's what it's developed for : a robust wiki for thousands of users, but with hardly any access control. As a matter of fact, the lack of access control / granular user management is mentioned in the mediawiki FAQ as one of the reasons not to use it if you want to control who can edit what in your wiki.

I use dokuwiki, and recommend it if you're looking for a fast, light, efficient wiki, geared towards documentation of software projects or system and network documentation, with good access control and user management. It uses text files in stead of a database, so you have easy access to human-readable files even if your wiki or the system that hosts it crashes.

I'll second this assessment, as I also use both. I use Mediawiki for my employer's intranet helpdesk site (the one for end users), but dokuwiki for the techsupport's private knowledgebase.

empty_spaces
June 12th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Thank you. I'll also try out Dokuwiki when I get a chance.