PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Netbook Remix and Wubi

crimlaw
June 12th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Is there a Wubi install option for the remix? Or, do I have to partition? If I have to partition, would someone mind giving me some advice? Like, how much space should I reserve for the partition? If my harddrive is 60 gb and Ubuntu intaller suggests 2 gb, is that enough? I don't plan to save too much to the harddrive though Ubuntu as I save everything to a jump.

Thanks!!!

crimlaw
June 12th, 2009, 10:32 PM
why can no one answer me this question? This is the second "category" where I have posted this question, and I still cannot get an answer. I have downloaded the .img file for the remix, but I understand that that is not a wubi capable install. Am I right? Do I need and .iso? If so, where can I find one?

ddrichardson
June 12th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Mate you only posted an hour ago - give people a chance!

Wubi is not in the current netbook-remix image but you can install the packages that make up UNR seperately if you want to use wubi by installing a default Jaunty CD.

If you use the UNR img then you can partition whatever you wish - I use 8Gb (then again it's an 8Gb SSD).

crimlaw
June 12th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I apologize for my pushiness, I have just become frustrated with not being able to find an answer anywhere. Thank you for the suggestions.

I am not sure I know how to download the packages separately to use in a wubi. The last time I used wubi, I simply downloaded 8.10, moved it to a jumpdrive, and used the jump to wubi install onto my netbook.

I am nervous about partitioning because I am afraid I will not be able to get the partition back if something should happen. Do you have any advice there?

ddrichardson
June 12th, 2009, 10:51 PM
You can back up the drive, depending on it's size. That's easy for a smaller SSD - just using partimage and an external drive. If its bigger it'll take a while and also to restore.

Either way, ensure you have backed up important files.

Wubi is integrated into the installer now when run from Windows but that means making an Ubuntu USB disk which is less straight forward.

Given that you prefer to save everything to a flash drive and are unsure of partitioning, would you not be better running from a Live USB session?

crimlaw
June 12th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I am ok running from a live usb session, except I have to reinstall and reset everything after a shutdown. Not a huge deal, but it gets annoying. Video does not run as quickly/smoothly, my wireless passwords reset, I have to reinstall things like flash player, etc. I have thought about a persistent usb install, but I am not sure if I am able to do that with Netbook remix, and I think I need a larger USB because the current one I would use is only 1 gb.

ddrichardson
June 12th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I would say larger than 1 Gb, certainly for UNR - I mean Feather Linux,Puppy or DSL are fine in 1Gb.

What's installed on the machine at present and for that matter what machine is it?

crimlaw
June 12th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I am using an HP netbook mini 1033cc. I am running the XP that come installed (which I never use), and 9.04. I tried Remix when I was having some serious trouble with my 9.04 last week, and, though not a replacement, thought it would be fun to use for a while. I am no linux genius. I use it for documents, video/music player, web, that is the bulk of it. I like ubuntu because it is rather user friendly, has compiz, and allows me to expand my knowledge when I have time to learn some new things.

I might check on Feather or Puppy.

ddrichardson
June 12th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Its not too difficult to install the UNR image. Partitioning is explained well here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoPartition

crimlaw
June 12th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I will take a look at it after bit. Thanks again for the help. Feather looks pretty cool, I might make a live cd later and check it out.