PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] CD-ROM not spinning up all the way when copying CD's??

swoody
June 12th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I am currently copying 18 CD's to my computer. I'm just copy & pasting the files from the CD folder to my Music folder within Nautilus, and am running 9.04. The cd's are all made by the same company, and have about 550MB on them. The first couple disks I copied went very quickly, only taking a couple minutes to copy, and went smoothly. The next couple were pretty odd, in that some of the disks went quickly as normal, and you could hear the CD drive spinning up to 100% to copy the media. However, some disks are taking 2-3 times as long, and the cd-rom is barely audible now, so I'm guessing it's not spinning as fast as it could.

Is there any way I can change this so that it will spin up my CD-ROM to it's max speed for every disc? This seems pretty odd, and it's getting irritating, that I know it can go faster, but still doesn't! Please, any and all help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :D
Woody

**Edit: It seems like if I close all Nautilus windows and then start everything again, it works fine, but this is kind of a pain to have to do when copying a lot of discs in a row. Any ideas anybody?

lukeiamyourfather
June 12th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Its not as simple as just spinning the disc faster to speed up transfers. A single large file will copy much faster than a bunch of small files because its a continuous stream of data instead of many small operations that require repositioning of the laser reading the disc. There could be other limitations as well like the bus and processor being a bottleneck if its an older system. Best bet for improving disc read performance is either to copy them as a complete image (continuous stream regardless of how many files there are) or find a faster drive (if its not already the fastest available). Cheers!