PDA

View Full Version : I am thrilled with my new 9.04 install

irv
June 12th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I am just amazed at how good Ubuntu 9.04 is running on my Dell Inspiron 1521. When I bought it a year ago last February I hated it and was going to sell it a couple of times. It ran so slow and took forever to boot up into Vista. It has a AMD Turion 64x2 CPU and it came with 2GB of RAM. But with all this power it ran sluggish.
But things are different now. I boosted up the memory to 4GB, (that's tops). And I installed Ubuntu 9.04 last night. I set the install to ext4. Here is what my gparted hard drive looks like.
As you can see I am duel booting with Vista yet because I still have a few things I need in Windows. But I know I will be using Ubuntu 90 to 95% of the time. I still have a 1.6Ghz older laptop running Ubuntu 9.04 and it runs great also. I guess I will be selling that one now that I have the newer one running so good.
I had trouble running it with 8.10 and an older kernel, but the improvements to 9.04 took care of all my hardware issues. I am totally sold on Ubuntu.

Vostrocity
June 12th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Yep same with my Dell. Wow you sure have a lot of partitions.

irv
June 12th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Yep same with my Dell. Wow you sure have a lot of partitions.

Back when I first tried to install 8.10 it created a partition so I just left it. When I when to install it this time it didn't use that one but created a smaller one. I had to do a manual select of the 70GB partition and just repartitioned the smaller one to use for whatever. I have more then enough room for Vista and Ubuntu so I didn't fuss with the other partitions.

Pogeymanz
June 12th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Why does Dell suck at partitions so badly? Every computer I've seen has blank space at both ends of the HD.

y6FgBn)~v
June 12th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Doesn't Dell include Recovery Partitions on their hard drives?

irv
June 12th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Doesn't Dell include Recovery Partitions on their hard drives?

Yes, that's the 10GB partition.

pt123
June 12th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I build my own machines, and I have a lot of partitions. It is the safest way to test upgrades and distributions.

Vostrocity
June 12th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Yes, that's the 10GB partition.

I deleted it a long time ago. I never ever used it and it also counts as a primary partition, so you can only dual boot. (I'm trying to get a triple boot)