PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading Server from 7.10

Scott847
June 12th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Hello,

I am currently running a server, non-gui, version of Ubuntu 7.10. I am trying to figure out how to upgrade to the latest version and also install the GUI (without loosing any of my settings on any of my applications/programs!). When I try to update via "sudo apt-get" I get 404's; I assume the version is no longer supported on the update server.

My first question: How can I upgrade my 7.10 server to the latest version using the command line on the server. I also have access to a external dvd-rom drive that could be used. Is there a way to change the source of the download where I can still update via "apt-get"?

Second question: Before upgrading, what is the simplest way to back-up the entire server & configuration via command line? Also, in the event I mess up and lose my configuration, how can I revert to my backup?

Third question: By upgrading to a newer version and installing a GUI is there a possibility of losing any of my current configuration settings? I can not afford to lose the current configuration, I was not the one who set it up and I am not sure if I could reconfigure everything back to the current state without a revert to a backup.

Thanks for any help provided!

- Scott

Scott847
June 13th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Anyone???