PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to run Linux on a cell phone?

The Toxic Mite
June 12th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Hi guys!

This may seem pretty strange, but I am wondering if you could re-flash your cell phone (like, a Sony Ericsson K550i, which I have) so that it runs Linux?

Any answer is greatly appreciated.

Vostrocity
June 12th, 2009, 05:06 PM
On a smartphone, yes. On a dumbphone likely not.

Twitch6000
June 12th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Well I know there are some phones that have linux on it by default.

The android comes to mind.

i also know if you are aloud to mess with certain settings then it is possible aswell.

The Toxic Mite
June 12th, 2009, 05:45 PM

i also know if you are aloud to mess with certain settings then it is possible aswell.

Yeah? :)

HavocXphere
June 12th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Linux as in command line probably yes. It will have almost zero feature unless you custom program them.

Vostrocity
June 12th, 2009, 07:16 PM

Oh wait that reminded me, all Motorola phones have a Linux-based firmware. Yeah, all those Razrs that everyone had a couple years ago were running Linux. But truth is it really doesn't affect anything.

cmay
June 12th, 2009, 07:21 PM
my brother found a webpage offering a dos and linux download for his nokia phone. he installed the dos version to be able to play mario . but it was slow . i still think it was kinda cool to see freedos running on a phone and if only i knew how to program small basic programs and install them on it i would go buy one of these phones.

sim-value
June 12th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Oh wait that reminded me, all Motorola phones have a Linux-based firmware. Yeah, all those Razrs that everyone had a couple years ago were running Linux. But truth is it really doesn't affect anything.

Now i must puke .. Motorola phones are awful ...

benj1
June 12th, 2009, 07:29 PM
is this a poll on whether its possible to run linux on a phone or asking for help on getting it to work on your personal phone, the two aren't realy related.

The Toxic Mite
June 12th, 2009, 07:37 PM
is this a poll on whether its possible to run linux on a phone or asking for help on getting it to work on your personal phone, the two aren't realy related.

It's just whether it's possible to run Linux on a "dumb phone" or not. =p

HermanAB
June 12th, 2009, 08:17 PM
There are almost 2 billion cell phones that run Linux. Cell phones is the largest embedded Linux market by a very wide margin. Nothing else comes close.

benj1
June 12th, 2009, 09:27 PM
It's just whether it's possible to run Linux on a "dumb phone" or not. =p

yes
linux runs on all kinds of devices.
some motorola phones
neo freerunner (definately ported it atleast)
android phones
ipods
god knows how many embedded devices
watches
even some of the computers its been ported to are probably less powerful than modern phones, 'dumb' or not
potatoes http://www.bbspot.com/News/2008/12/linux-on-a-potato.html

hatten
June 12th, 2009, 10:42 PM
possible, yes, useful, no.

The Toxic Mite
June 13th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Could anyone give some examples of what distro might run on a dumbphone? :p

dragos240
June 13th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Can I get linux onto my LG vx3450l?

H2SO_four
June 13th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Yes, phones use linux to operate. But I don't care because you aren't running an OS in the typical sense so what does it matter? I don't try to make my phone a computer, although the line is becoming more blurry as time goes on...

dragos240
June 13th, 2009, 06:04 PM
could anyone give some examples of what distro might run on a dumbphone? :p
LFS. Obiously.

donkyhotay
June 13th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Theoretically you could run linux on an abacus assuming you had a good enough 'processor' (c;
Seriously though it depends on the phone and many phones these days actually *do* run linux under-the-hood.

Glucklich
June 13th, 2009, 07:00 PM
potatoes http://www.bbspot.com/News/2008/12/linux-on-a-potato.html

Imagine, french fries à la Linux...

I just had one of those Homer Simpson moments.