PDA

View Full Version : Video hardware question

ricardisimo
June 12th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Hey there everyone. I'll see if I can make a very long story short.

I just ran a High-Def movie off of a Sony SRW-5500 deck (which is, I believe, an editor's deck). There was a sync problem with the presentation, where the audio was about a quarter-second ahead of the video. I'm trying to diagnose this.

I first would like to try to eliminate the first suggestion that was made to made tonight by one of the producers: That I was using the wrong cables. I did not have a coaxial BNC cable, so I used one cable from an RGB component video cable (the red, in case anyone needs to know) and slapped some BNC adapters onto each end. The producer suggested that the impedance difference between component on the one hand and video coaxial on the other was the cause.

I have my doubts, and we're talking about 6' of cable, not 50'. Could anyone confirm or deny that this could be the source of my problem. Thanks.

3rdalbum
June 12th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I'm sure that you could not get that sort of audio delay over 2 metres of cable, even when you take into account that the red component lead transmits electrons faster (because red makes everything go faster...)

I'm not familiar with those editing decks. Do they transmit audio, or video, down the coaxial cable? I've set up home theatres before now and used an ordinary composite video cable to transmit digital audio; it works well over short distances with no audible sync problems.

The obvious thing to try would be to use the correct cable :-) Otherwise, Mencoder can change the AV sync; I don't know how to use Mencoder on the command-line but it can definitely be done.

ricardisimo
June 12th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping for raised eyebrows and it looks like I got them. I thought about slowing down the audio signal a tad using the cooler blue cable. ;-)

Honestly, thanks. What they were saying didn't make any sense to me, and I suspect it wouldn't have to you either.