PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble installing

thewang767
June 12th, 2009, 02:47 AM
Hi,

I am installing Ubuntu from the Alternate CD because my system has 256MB of RAM. It also has a Nvidia graphics card.

After I installed, the first time the login screen would not display, and instead I would get a black screen. The next time I entered the command line and input:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-96
I continued to boot normally, and this time I got a login screen, however my keyboard and mouse would not work. I also tried:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
Then I got a message saying "Ubuntu is running in low graphics mode," and my keyboard and mouse still would not work.

Is there a fix for this? Everywhere I've looked to install Nvidia drivers already assume you can log in, which I can't.

LepeKaname
June 12th, 2009, 06:31 AM
maybe try other nvidia driver. Can you post your xorg.conf? what model of card and computer you have?
Use driver "vesa" for now... until you can fix this problem.

thewang767
June 12th, 2009, 02:04 PM
What do you mean by "post your xorg.conf?" I can't log in to Ubuntu or see the GUI (actually, I think it may display now, but my keyboard/mouse do not work).
I'm using an old system from around 2002. I can find the card model when I get home.

Use driver "vesa" for nowDo you mean to use
sudo apt-get install vesa

dstew
June 12th, 2009, 02:34 PM
What version of Ubuntu did you install? If it is 9.04, you can try the xfix command from the command line. Hopefully you can get a user interface that will let you use the mouse and keyboard.

If you get an interface, you can go to the System --> Administration --> Hardware drivers menu to see if there is a restricted driver available for the care. You might need to activate the Multiverse repository (System --> Administration --> Software Sources).

thewang767
June 13th, 2009, 05:44 PM
The graphics card I am running is a Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX400. I'm assuming I will have to download the Nvidia drivers manually after I install Ubuntu? What would be the correct commands to do that?

Whenever the GUI loads up, the Num Lock light on my keyboard goes off.

LepeKaname
June 14th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Install these packages:

"sudo aptitude install nvidia-glx-96"
"sudo aptitude install nvidia-96-modaliases" (recommended)

Try first: "sudo nvidia-xconfig"

If doesn't work, try using this xorg.conf:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 30.0 - 110.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 150.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "True"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enabled"
EndSection

Just adjust the HorizSync and VertRefresh of your monitor.

Should work.

thewang767
June 15th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Hi, sorry again. I tried the two nvidia commands, however "sudo nvidia-xconfig" does not work. How do I edit the xorg.conf? There is no graphical display, and how would I get to xorg.conf? Thanks.

LinuxGuy1234
June 15th, 2009, 11:38 PM
You can get to the xorg.conf file using:

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Remember, when a command in nano has a ^, you need to push Ctrl (or Control) and then the letter it says. For example, to quit nano, use Ctrl-Q.