View Full Version : [ubuntu] I think I am ready for dual boot

kd0afk
June 11th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I have partitioned my hard drive thus:
35 GB for linux (tiny, I know)
15 for windows
5 for swap

the windows partiton is formatted FAT32
Should I be good to go to install windows?

I have read and printed out these directions http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_and_windows_xp_linux_instal led_first.htm?page=1
And I have a copy of Super Grub Disk to get me out of trouble.

Comments?

presence1960
June 12th, 2009, 01:46 AM
install windows first. Then to install Ubuntu boot the Live CD and choose check disk for defects. if it checks ok then install. When you get to the window of the partitioner titled "Prepare disk space" choose the manual option. Then select the partition you created for Ubuntu and install it by choosing file system on "use as" , partition type, and mountpoint choose "/". when you get to the screen that is attached below click advanced and choose to install GRUB to hd0 or sda to install GRUB to MBR of your hard disk. Then click install.

ChemShock
June 12th, 2009, 02:04 AM
My WinXP needed 15 just to run at base level after all of Windows updates. No anti-virus, nothing.

My jaunty install, after I have every program and file I could ever want (minus music), takes up only 17 GB

Just food for thought....

H2SO_four
June 12th, 2009, 02:07 AM
I have partitioned my hard drive thus:
35 GB for linux (tiny, I know)
15 for windows
5 for swap

the windows partiton is formatted FAT32
Should I be good to go to install windows?

I have read and printed out these directions http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_and_windows_xp_linux_instal led_first.htm?page=1
And I have a copy of Super Grub Disk to get me out of trouble.

Comments?

5GB for swap? that seems quite large, no?

ChemShock
June 12th, 2009, 02:17 AM
5GB for swap? that seems quite large, no?

Yeah, I agree mine is only 3.5 and that my be on the larger side. I auto partitioned.

presence1960
June 12th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Yeah, I agree mine is only 3.5 and that my be on the larger side. I auto partitioned.

I have 4 GB swap, but i want to be able to use suspend & hibernate so I made it equal to my RAM. But then again I have 2 hard disks so I have plenty of space.

synapsys
June 12th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Yeah install windows first and install windows on the first partition of the first disk, or else it refuses to install.

kd0afk
June 12th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Great advice guys, thanks.

sxe4ever
June 12th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Let us know if you have any problems with the install!!!!