View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sound options missing after ALSA reinstall.

June 11th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Hardware :
Sound card : Realtek ALC883 chipset, on board Asus M3A AMD 770 Motherboard.

Software : Ubuntu 9.04, all current updates.

I had previously been trying to get a logitech webcams mic working in Ubuntu 9.04, when someone suggested reinstalling 'ALSA-base' and 'ALSA-utils'
... I shouldn't have.

Now 'volume control' only has 'pulse audio' 'playback' and 'capture' available. The sound card is no longer accessible, audio is no longer working.
Realtek and all other dropdowns are missing from the Volume Control.

I no longer care about the logitech webcam mic, now I just need to get my audio back.

In further attempts to get the options back in Volume Control, someone suggested re-installing 'linux-sound-base'. This didn't change anything.

After each change I have restarted just in case.

I know if I reinstall Ubuntu 9.04 it will work again by default, but I really don't want to have to go through the process of backing everything up and reinstalling just to get the audio back.

No proprietary drivers had to be installed to get the audio working, it worked right away with the default installation.

June 12th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Bump, any takers?

June 12th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Maybe this site can help you. :p

June 13th, 2009, 06:51 PM
The site you gave me is for :
-Nvidia non-root privelages
-Cameras that wont mount
-Remote Desktop issues
-Printer Sharing
-Wubi installation
-Raid5 failures

That had nothing to do with Realtek soundcard controls missing in Volume Control.

I think you must have been reading someone else's issue and hit reply on this one accidentally.

June 14th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Bumped again.