PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Side-by-Side vs. Continuous Free Space installation

Shadowfang36
June 11th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I recently set up a Windows XP partition taking up 400gb of my 500gb hard drive. I left 100gb of free space left for Ubuntu.

When I get to the partition manager (Installing Ubuntu 9.04), I have four options.

Side by Side installation
Erase entire drive
Use largest continuous free space
Manual installation

So I have 100gb of free space ready for Ubuntu, but what is the difference between using the largest continuous free space and Side by Side installation?

Also, Side by Side installation specifically says that I choose from either XP or Ubuntu, while Use largest continuous free space does not. If I chose to use the largest continuous free space, would I be able to choose which operating system I enter at start up?

Shadowfang36
June 12th, 2009, 03:39 AM
I hate to bump, but I would really appreciate assistance.

I have 100gb of free space...do I ask the partitioner to install Ubuntu side by ide with Windows or tell it to use the largest continuous free space?

I just want 400gb windows, 100gb Ubuntu, be able to choose between them at start.

Partyboi2
June 12th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Hi, side by side will allow you to shrink down your windows partition and install Ubuntu. Choosing "largest continuous space" should allow you to install Ubuntu in the current available free space.
Either method will allow you to choose which operating system to boot up at startup.

Shadowfang36
June 12th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Okay, thank you very much.