PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Linksys WUSB54GSC v2 install help

steigerjb
June 11th, 2009, 10:18 PM
:!:

I fixed an old toshiba laptop and put Ubuntu 8.04 on it. (nevermind, i went ahead and installed 9.04 on it 6/23/09) I have this Linksys WUSB54GSC v2 wireless USB adapter i wanna use with it but I don't know how. All the tutorials online are SOOOOOOO confusing. Strange weird codes and stuff.

Please give me exact, step by step. VERY VERY simple instructions. All i know is i need to use ndiswrapper.

The user name for the Ubuntu account is "steiger". So you can give me the exact terminal codes i need, that may help.

I hope someone here can help. I don't wanna have to put Windows back on the thing. ](*,)

I've seen all the tutorial out there so please don't just post a link for a tutorial and say "try this"

Thanks in advance

steigerjb
June 13th, 2009, 07:30 PM
bump

TeoBigusGeekus
June 13th, 2009, 07:32 PM
If you insist on using 8.04 and not 9.04 (the newer the version the better the wireless support) then:
First thing to try is wicd instead of network-manager.

sudo apt-get install wicd

Mark Phelps
June 14th, 2009, 09:12 PM
When you're here, you're not in one-click-land of MS Windows anymore; you're in a subset of the Linux community -- where some things (like in MS Windows) are really simple, and other things (like forcing Ubuntu to use MS Windows drivers) are really hard.

Installing and using NDISWrapper is one of the harder things to do.

To come here and tell folks NOT to point you to tutorials and then say you want details is a contradiction of terms. IN Linux land, there are things that you just MUST become familiar (like using Command Line Interface (CLI) mode) in order to do. If you're basically uncomfortable with command line work, you're in the wrong place.

The tutorial I've linked to below is about as detailed as they get. If there are things in there you don't understand, you will need to do more background work on understanding Linux in general.

Tutorial:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=225206&highlight=WUSB54

steigerjb
June 20th, 2009, 04:38 PM
I couldn't get past step 1 on that one.

"Step 1 - Install the essentials
If you've never used "make" or compiled something, then you probably don't have the necessary tools to get through this HOWTO. Thankfully, you can easily install them. Run the following command to be sure everything is ready.

Code:

sudo apt-get install cpp gcc build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

If you are not online, apt-get will ask for the disk. Insert your install CD into the drive and hit the ENTER key."

it didn't ask for cd.

steigerjb
June 20th, 2009, 04:39 PM
If you insist on using 8.04 and not 9.04 (the newer the version the better the wireless support) then:
First thing to try is wicd instead of network-manager.

sudo apt-get install wicd

does that require internet?

Mark Phelps
June 20th, 2009, 07:47 PM
does that require internet?

Yes, installing packages requires internet access in order to download the package from one of the repositories.

steigerjb
June 24th, 2009, 12:20 AM
Mark,

I got all the way down to step 6, then realized that link you gave me won't help me:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=225206&highlight=WUSB54

it's for WUSB54GS v1 and v2

I have WUSB54GSC v2 <===note the difference (C)

Probably why the drivers weren't working LOL ("Plug in your device. The Power light will come on, and, after at most 3 seconds, the Link light will blink slowly. If the Link light does blink slowly, sucess!") Nope LOL

Now what?

Mark Phelps
June 24th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Sorry, I didn't notice that distinction.

The .inf file tells the installer what drivers to load, so as long as you use the correct .inf file and drivers, the instructions are basically the same. The .inf file and drivers are typically obtained from a CD that comes with the hardware. If you don't have that, you will have to download the files from the hardware manufacturer's website. Sometimes those come in .exe files (which you can't use in Linux), so if that is the case, you will have to run that file in MS Windows. It will then most probably extract the files to a folder on your C: drive. Copy the .inf and drivers files to somewhere that can be read when you're in Ubuntu, and you should then be able to redo steps 5 and 6.

steigerjb
June 24th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I have a cd. I don't know what I am looking for here

steigerjb
June 25th, 2009, 06:37 PM
It would probably be best for you to download the drivers:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WUSB54GSC/download

I am version 2.0

then tell me what to do with them (make a folder?), what files to use, etc...

then give me the new codes

steigerjb
June 29th, 2009, 07:22 PM
It would probably be best for you to download the drivers:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/support/WUSB54GSC/download

I am version 2.0

then tell me what to do with them (make a folder?), what files to use, etc...

then give me the new codes

bump :confused:

LewRockwell
June 29th, 2009, 07:47 PM
bump :confused:

oh maaaarrrrkkkkk

steigerjb
June 30th, 2009, 05:53 PM
oh maaaarrrrkkkkk

yeah, were'd mark go. He was helping me :(

steigerjb
July 2nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
bump

I have installed both inf files (using this:http://www.alstevens.co.uk/how-to-install-wireless-usb-drivers-for-ubuntu/, still no internet :( ](*,)

ibuclaw
July 5th, 2009, 08:50 PM
When you boot into Linux, open a terminal, insert the WUSB54GSC device, then run:

lsusb
And make a note of the 8 alphanumeric digit ID that is on the same line as the device.

ie, mine looks like this:

Bus 007 Device 002: ID 03f0:171d Hewlett-Packard Wireless (Bluetooth + WLAN) Interface

Regards
Iain

steigerjb
July 6th, 2009, 02:27 AM
When you boot into Linux, open a terminal, insert the WUSB54GSC device, then run:

lsusb
And make a note of the 8 alphanumeric digit ID that is on the same line as the device.

Bus 007 Device 002: ID 03f0:171d Hewlett-Packard Wireless (Bluetooth + WLAN) Interface

Regards
Iain

im outta town but then what

steigerjb
July 13th, 2009, 07:45 PM

lsusb

Regards
Iain

ok Iain, here ya go:

steiger@steiger-laptop:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1737:0075 Linksys
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
steiger@steiger-laptop:~$

what do I do now? ):P

LewRockwell
July 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM
might we also see the results of this:

sudo lshw -C network

and that's "el" "shw"...not a one...

July 13th, 2009, 10:08 PM
I struggled for quite some time with this particular usb adapter as well. Unfortunately, I found that nothing worked (multiple attempts with ndiswrapper across different driver versions, attempts at using the b43 native drivers and associated firmware, etc all failed). I'd suggest returning the adapter and getting a Belkin FSD7050 adapter if you can. This adapter seems to offer everything that the WUSB54GSC does and it works out of the box.

steigerjb
July 16th, 2009, 12:27 AM
alright...get ready to pounce on me..........

I think i am going to throw in the towel, install windows. I am tired of trying to get the wireless card to work. it's just a spare computer anyway, I'll never use it.

kditty
April 25th, 2010, 01:28 AM
:!:

I fixed an old toshiba laptop and put Ubuntu 8.04 on it. (nevermind, i went ahead and installed 9.04 on it 6/23/09) I have this Linksys WUSB54GSC v2 wireless USB adapter i wanna use with it but I don't know how. All the tutorials online are SOOOOOOO confusing. Strange weird codes and stuff.

Please give me exact, step by step. VERY VERY simple instructions. All i know is i need to use ndiswrapper.

trust me, its hard and odd, but once you pull even something simple like this off, you will feel better than the one click fix windows crap. it makes you feel so much more confident once you begin to learn...

boom08
November 26th, 2010, 11:13 PM
I tried using Wireless Windows Drivers tool to install the ndis****.inf driver file from both the Linksys disc and C:\Program Files, and the stupid thing still won't work.
I've exhausted all resources. What do I do?

I have ubuntu 8.10 currently installed. If I need to upgrade, how do I do that without overwriting the system?