PDA

View Full Version : What is the Speed Limit in your Country ?

sim-value
June 11th, 2009, 09:45 PM
So how fast are You allowed to Drive in your Country /state on a Highway ?

And do you care ?

And what Punishments does your state use ?

So in Austria Speed Limit is 130 KM/H (80 MP/H).

I do not own a car but i know nobody (nobody like in /dev/null) which cares ... (Driver 150-170 and you still get overtaken)

Punishments are Fines (The Higscore in my sourrundings is 700€ of "Fast-Driving-Fees")

So and what about you ?

/me
PS: Germany is cool (well in that detail) : no speed limit in certain states ... muhaha

Vostrocity
June 11th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Over here in Chicago we have stupidly low speed limits, like 55 on the Interstate. But I think I've seen 90 in some western states. I've haven't gone over 50MPH yet, but I'm only on my first week of driving. :D

pedja_portugalac
June 11th, 2009, 09:54 PM
In Portugal it's 120 KM/ph but you can drive 149 KM/ph without being flashed by radar. They flash you from 150 KM/ph and above.

PS. I am talking about real speed, not about what is shown on your board. Par example, when you drive around 140 KM/ps on your board your real speed is 130 KM/ph.

Ones I was caught with French plates driving 174 real KM/ph and it cost me 200€. Under cover Subaru was picking me from the back and when I kick down my BMW they turn police lights on.

pedja_portugalac
June 11th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Over here in Chicago we have stupidly low speed limits, like 55 on the Interstate. But I think I've seen 90 in some western states. I've haven't gone over 50MPH yet, but I'm only on my first week of driving. :D
I drive 70 - 80 on 94th and same on skyway but slowing down one mile from toll place. Almost everybody drives like this in Chicago.

meeples
June 11th, 2009, 10:00 PM
im in the uk and i think the max is 70 mph

but in one of our islands off coast, either the Isle Of White or the Isle Of Man, cant remember which, there is NO speed limits :O

sounds like fun to me.

cubeist
June 11th, 2009, 10:01 PM
In the province of British Columbia here in Canada, the highway limit is 90 Km/h. Which sounds slow, but considering how horrible the majority of BC drivers are and how congested the highways are (especially around metro areas), it is a fair speed.

Unfortunately it is not widely enforced, so many people speed excessively, which causes a large speed gap between the slow (law abiding drivers) at 80 - 90 Km/h and the fast at 120 + Km/h.

Ravernomina
June 11th, 2009, 10:03 PM
In Japan Its about 20 MPH for city and about 50-70 Highway depending on ware your going.

Punishment is a ticket of course :l or the Happy warning :P.

Screwdriver0815
June 11th, 2009, 10:10 PM
over here in Germany it is 50 kph = 30 mph in the City, 100 kph = 60 mph on normal roads and no speedlimit on the Highway = Autobahn.

But in reality we also have some speedlimits on the Autobahn. Mostly 130 kph = 80 mph and they are expressed all the time with signs, so they are not general valid. Sometimes also lower, depending on the circumstances.

Fines are in a normal level I think. But I don't remember how much you have to pay when you are too fast. Because its too long ago since the police flashed me the last time.

The last time I drove on the Autobahn was yesterday... and I had to speed up to 230 kph (143 mph) to get rid of a stupid Vw Polo Gti!!! I couldn't believe this! :D

pedja_portugalac
June 11th, 2009, 10:17 PM
In the province of British Columbia here in Canada, the highway limit is 90 Km/h. Which sounds slow, but considering how horrible the majority of BC drivers are and how congested the highways are (especially around metro areas), it is a fair speed.

Unfortunately it is not widely enforced, so many people speed excessively, which causes a large speed gap between the slow (law abiding drivers) at 80 - 90 Km/h and the fast at 120 + Km/h.

I lost my driving license in Toronto some years ago because of speeding but I don't think it was the reason. They sow me with yellow mustang, IL plates, and target me like this just to make money. People told me that Toronto police, judges and lawyers are authentic organized mafia. They took 2500 US$ from me and stole all my original Philip M. Marlboros as well as some brand new nike socks and one pen drive. Be careful if you ever cross Ontario!

mcduck
June 11th, 2009, 10:17 PM
50km/h in cities, 80km/h in countryside. Although most cities lower the limit to 40km/h these days and of course there's plenty of roads with limit of 100km/h.

Punishments? With less than 20km/h of over speed they aren't that bad, but after that they become progressive (=depend on your income) which means the speeding fines can grow to pretty insane numbers.. I think the highest one this far would be 116000 € (for driving at 75km/h when the limit was 50km/h). That guy must have had a pretty nice paycheck, though..

pedja_portugalac
June 11th, 2009, 10:22 PM
The last time I drove on the Autobahn was yesterday... and I had to speed up to 230 kph (143 mph) to get rid of a stupid Vw Polo Gti!!! I couldn't believe this! :D
I love Germany and when I am there I always drive more then 180 KM/ph, sometimes 240 KM/ph because the engine is locked to that max speed.

Screwdriver0815
June 11th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I love Germany and when I am there I always drive more then 180 KM/ph, sometimes 240 KM/ph because the engine is locked to that speed.
please do this only in areas without speedlimit! Not always. ;)

pedja_portugalac
June 11th, 2009, 10:34 PM
please do this only in areas without speedlimit! Not always. ;)

Don't worry I know.

One more thing about Germany, when downtown you see 30 KM/ph speed limit you can be sure at 98% it's followed by the flash.

billgoldberg
June 11th, 2009, 10:35 PM
120km/h on the highway.

70-90km/h on regional roads.

30-50km/h in the city.

I think every country should have the German model on the highways.

LowSky
June 11th, 2009, 10:37 PM
I live in New York State. The State Speed Limit is 55 MPH (I guess about 90 KPH), when the road has no posted speed and on a majority of Highways.

Some of the Highways away from conjested areas like New York City and Long Island the speed limit jumpa to 65MPH/105KPH.

Most local roads are usually 30-45 MPH.

The state is pretty bad about tickets you get a fine from the state plus pay "court fees" The Court fees vary for each infraction, some fees make a $30 fine cost $200 with the extra charges... very annoying

When you get convicted of a moving violation the DMV records points on your New York license. All moving violations are at least two points. Most are three points or more. New York recently added a new surcharge of $100 per year for three years if you get six points, plus $25 per year for each additional point.

The following table shows the point values assigned to moving traffic violations. The "points" are assessed against your driving record based on the date you committed the violation, not the date you were convicted in court. If you accumulate 11 or more points in 18 months, you will be called to a DMV hearing, after which your license may be suspended or revoked. You will be offered the option of waiving the hearing or accepting a definite period of suspension.

Some license revocations and suspensions are mandatory and do not depend on points. These include three speeding violations within 18 months, and convictions involving alcohol or drugs.
It take 40 months for a violation to clear form your record

VIOLATIONS POINTS

Speeding (mph over posted limit)

1 to 10 3

11 to 20 4

21 to 30 6

31 to 40 8

More than 40 11

Reckless Driving 5

Failure to stop for a School Bus 5

Following too closely (tailgating) 4

Inadequate Brakes 4

(while driving employer's vehicle) 2

Failing to Yield Right-Of-Way 3

Violation Involving Traffic Signal, Stop Sign, or Yield Sign 3

Railroad Crossing Violation 3

Improper Passing or Lane Use 3

Leaving scene of an incident involving property damage or injury to an animal 3

Child safety restraint violation 3

Any other moving violation 2

billgoldberg
June 11th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I live in New York State. The State Speed Limit is 55 MPH (I guess about 90 KPH), when the road has no posted speed and on a majority of Highways.

Some of the Highways away from conjested areas like New York City and Long Island the speed limit jumpa to 65MPH/105KPH.

Most local roads are usually 30-45 MPH.

The state is pretty bad about tickets you get a fine from the state plus pay "court fees" The Court fees vary for each infraction, some fees make a $30 fine cost $200 with the extra charges... very annoying

When you get convicted of a moving violation the DMV records points on your New York license. All moving violations are at least two points. Most are three points or more. New York recently added a new surcharge of $100 per year for three years if you get six points, plus $25 per year for each additional point.

The following table shows the point values assigned to moving traffic violations. The "points" are assessed against your driving record based on the date you committed the violation, not the date you were convicted in court. If you accumulate 11 or more points in 18 months, you will be called to a DMV hearing, after which your license may be suspended or revoked. You will be offered the option of waiving the hearing or accepting a definite period of suspension.

Some license revocations and suspensions are mandatory and do not depend on points. These include three speeding violations within 18 months, and convictions involving alcohol or drugs.
It take 40 months for a violation to clear form your record

VIOLATIONS POINTS

Speeding (mph over posted limit)

1 to 10 3

11 to 20 4

21 to 30 6

31 to 40 8

More than 40 11

Reckless Driving 5

Failure to stop for a School Bus 5

Following too closely (tailgating) 4

Inadequate Brakes 4

(while driving employer's vehicle) 2

Failing to Yield Right-Of-Way 3

Violation Involving Traffic Signal, Stop Sign, or Yield Sign 3

Railroad Crossing Violation 3

Improper Passing or Lane Use 3

Leaving scene of an incident involving property damage or injury to an animal 3

Child safety restraint violation 3

Any other moving violation 2

What a horrible system. I hope we never get that here.

chucky chuckaluck
June 11th, 2009, 10:43 PM
does montana even have a speed limit?

pedja_portugalac
June 11th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I think every country should have the German model.
150 KM/ph all around EU would be good and that was project from one Italian minister. We, in EU, have speed limits dating from the end of 2WW when the cars were kind of Citroën 2CV (two steam horses).

Screwdriver0815
June 11th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Don't worry I know.

One more thing about Germany, when downtown you see 30 KM/ph speed limit you can be sure at 98% it's followed by the flash.
you also can be sure about the flash on the Autobahn in construction areas. Right after the "60" - sign.

In Germany we also have such a point system.

outside of citys:
up to 10 km/h 10 Euro
11 to 15 km/h 20 Euro
16 to 20 km/h 30 Euro
21 to 25 km/h 70 Euro 1 point
26 to 30 km/h 80 Euro 3 points
31 to 40 km/h 120 Euro 3 points
41 to 50 km/h 160 Euro 3 points and 1 Month ban from driving
51 to 60 km/h 240 Euro 4 points and 1 Month ban from driving
61 to 70 km/h 440 Euro 4 points and 2 Months ban from driving
over 70 km/h 600 Euro 4 points and 3 Month ban from driving

inside citys

up to 10 km/h 15 Euro
11 to 15 km/h 25 Euro
16 to 20 km/h 35 Euro
21 to 25 km/h 80 Euro 1 point
26 to 30 km/h 100 Euro 3 points
31 to 40 km/h 160 Euro 3 points and 1 Month ban from driving
41 to 50 km/h 200 Euro 4 points and 1 Month ban from driving
51 to 60 km/h 280 Euro 4 points and 2 Months ban from driving
61 to 70 km/h 480 Euro 4 points and 3 Months ban from driving
over 70 km/h 680 Euro 4 points 3 and Months ban from driving

I have 3 or 4 points and you lose the license with 18 points automaticly.
When you want to get rid of the points you can not do any misdoing in 2 years. So when you are not speeding the whole 2 years but you park wrong at the end of the second year, all the points will stay!

the points system is also not limited to speeding. So also other misdoings will be punished with points. The foreigners have to pay instead of getting points.

pedja_portugalac
June 11th, 2009, 11:01 PM
you also can be sure about the flash on the Autobahn in construction areas. Right after the "60" - sign.

Thank You.

AlphaMack
June 11th, 2009, 11:46 PM
65 MPH in California (~100 kph) and 55 MPH for trucks. Rural two lane roads are 55 MPH.

On some freeways the limits are 70 MPH in rural areas and 55 MPH around downtown LA.

Depending on which city you're in, limits vary from 25 MPH to 65 MPH, depending on how wide the roads are. Around in my neck of the woods the limits for most main thoroughfares range from 50-65 MPH. :D

On the freeways around So Cal (when there is no congestion), traffic usually moves about 75-85+.

I-75
June 11th, 2009, 11:50 PM
70 MPH legal limit here in Kentucky (U.S.A.) away from congestion. Most people seem to drive about 75 MPH on the interstates here.

cubeist
June 12th, 2009, 12:27 AM
does montana even have a speed limit?

Yes, now I think it is about 70MPH on the freeways, but I remember when the speed limit was "probable and prudent"...yes, that's actually what it said when you drove across from Canada!

cariboo
June 12th, 2009, 01:19 AM

You must not get out of the city much, speed limits most places I go are:

2 lane major highway - 100Kph
4 lane major highway - 110Kph
secondary highways - 80Kph
city streets - 50Kph
school zones - 30Kph

btw I'm located half between Kamloops & Prince George. Most of the time you can get away with 10 - 15% over the limit without getting a ticket.

densou
June 12th, 2009, 02:36 AM
In Germany we also have such a point system.

Italy either.

http://translate.google.it/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autoscuolacarnevale.i t%2FCds%2Ftab_punt.php&sl=it&tl=en&hl=it&ie=UTF-8

I'm too tired to translate everything by myself [3:35am] so I have asked for a little help :p

treesurf
June 12th, 2009, 02:50 AM
I think the highest posted speed limit I have seen in the states is 75mph. I have been told that Montana has no posted speed limits on rural areas of highways. And in California you cannot get a ticket if you are going the speed of surrounding traffic so, of course everyone goes really fast together!

SathyaBhat
June 12th, 2009, 02:51 AM
no limits in India

Superkoop
June 12th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Here in South Dakota, the highway limit is 65MPH in most places, on some divided highways it's 70MPH, on the Interstate it's 75MPH with a minimum of 40MPH, city streets are 25MPH, School Zones are 15MPH.

I don't have a license though (I am 19, and it's rare), I have driven a number of times though. . . however only on gravel roads. I personally despise the current transportation system using the automobile, for it's use it is too dangerous and prone to human error. Considering our level of technology, you'd think we could come up with a way to go from point A to point B without the high potential of dying.

Bölvaður
June 12th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Can you please use International System of Units (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units) it is annoying to see strange units like "I get in jail for driving over 75000 yards per 3 quarters of an hour", which is a plausible max speed on some roads but still very strange. There is a reason for using a standard.

The highest here is 90km/h on highways.
And 80km/h offroad, on dirt roads and other bumpy and annoying roads.

mamamia88
June 12th, 2009, 04:31 AM
55 on highway but nobody follows it

matthanielcm
June 12th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I think the highest posted speed limit I have seen in the states is 75mph. I have been told that Montana has no posted speed limits on rural areas of highways. And in California you cannot get a ticket if you are going the speed of surrounding traffic so, of course everyone goes really fast together!

In the US, the highest speed limit is 80 mph along some parts of I-10 in Texas. Utah was also thinking about raising it to 80. Montana now has a posted 75 mph speed limit, as they were threatened to be cut of their highway funds by the feds. And California is also great because it has an extensive speed trap law that limits the methods cops can pull over people for speeding, including use of unmarked cars prohibited in speeding traffic stops, "Radar Enforced" signs required when cops use radar guns, and you can't be pulled over for speeding on any road less than 20 feet wide.

Kingsley
June 12th, 2009, 08:46 AM
The speed limits are 70 mph on I-10 and 65 mph on I-75. I typically go 85 mph and 75 mph on these interstates, respectively.

Eisenwinter
June 12th, 2009, 08:49 AM
What's the point in the poll? It doesn't serve as any sort of survey.

khelben1979
June 12th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I voted: yes.

110 km per hour is max on fast roads afaik.

As was noted in this thread about having a car: I don't have one either nor do I own a driving license (never did). I cycle or take the bus if I need to go long distances. Haven't taken a bus now for months, better for the enviroment and cheaper too. High gas prices here in Sweden at the present.

khelben1979
June 12th, 2009, 09:02 AM

From what I can see it makes people express their opinions on the matter. I think that's the point.

lisati
June 12th, 2009, 09:04 AM
In NZ it's 50km/h (approx 30mph) in built-up areas, 100 km/h (approx 60mph) on main highways, but it can be lower in some situations: it's been a while since I have driven or had to remember the specifics, but I think there's a lower limit round some places like schools and uncontrolled railway crossings.

JanDM
June 12th, 2009, 09:14 AM
The Netherlands:

highway: 120km/h = 75 miles/h
regional roads: 70-80km/h = 50 miles/h
cities: 30-50km/h = 18-30 miles/h

In cities we also have 'woonerven (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woonerf)', where you must drive at walking pace, about 5 km/h (3 miles/h). It should be safe for kids to play there.

AlexDudko
June 12th, 2009, 09:16 AM
In Ukraine:
4 lane highway - 130 km/h
2 lane highway - 110 km/h
other highways - 90 km/h
in cities - 60 km/h

AlphaMack
June 12th, 2009, 09:19 AM
And in California you cannot get a ticket if you are going the speed of surrounding traffic so, of course everyone goes really fast together!

Not true. I've been pulled out of the crowd for going 10 over the limit. I was able to beat that ticket on several technicalities though.

And California is also great because it has an extensive speed trap law that limits the methods cops can pull over people for speeding, including use of unmarked cars prohibited in speeding traffic stops, "Radar Enforced" signs required when cops use radar guns, and you can't be pulled over for speeding on any road less than 20 feet wide.

Lawmakers in Sacramento are currently trying to gut the speed trap law.

itsStephen
June 12th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Here in Tasmania (a state of Tasmania) we have no set highway limits. Different highways have different limits depending on the conditions I guess.

On most roads just around the place (or anywhere without a sign) it's 50 km/h

Eisenwinter
June 12th, 2009, 10:02 AM
From what I can see it makes people express their opinions on the matter. I think that's the point.
But the thread is about the maximum speed limit in your country. The poll question has nothing to do with the actual speeds, it just asks if you care about having them or not, and is therefore useless.

If he would've made a poll with numbered answers, such as "100-120 km/h" or something similar, it wouldn't have been useless, since it does directly relate to the thread's topic.

frup
June 12th, 2009, 10:49 AM
In NZ it's 50km/h (approx 30mph) in built-up areas, 100 km/h (approx 60mph) on main highways, but it can be lower in some situations: it's been a while since I have driven or had to remember the specifics, but I think there's a lower limit round some places like schools and uncontrolled railway crossings.

Well in some built up parts of Auckland, such as Queen St, the speed limit is 30 km/h due to the high amount of pedestrians... it's ok because the traffic is usually more congested.

There are various areas around Auckland from with 60,70 and 80km/h limits. The main urban limit is 50km/h which is the default unless posted.

Then you have motorways which are nearly always 100km/h as you say.
Then you have open roads which basically means you can go any speed suitable provided it's not over 100km/h. Lots of people will drive 120 or more in a 100km/h zone.

As for enforcement, there is a general rule of thumb that Police will not ticket unless you are going over 9km/h over the speed limit... most will use their discretion give an even higher tolerance.

Not more than 10 km/h is $30
10 - 15 km/h is $80
15-20 is $120
20-25 is $170
25-30 is $230
30-35 is $300
35-40 is $400
40-45 is $510
45-50 is $630
Over 50 is an automatic suspension of licence.

Each ticket carries demerit points. Get 100 of these in 2 years and you loose your licence. You only get demerit points if pulled over by Police, not from a speed camera.

Exceeding the speed limit by up to 10 km/h is 10 points
Exceeding the speed limit by 11-20 km/h is 20 points
Exceeding the speed limit by 21-30 km/h is 35 points
Exceeding the speed limit by 31-35 km/h is 40 points
Exceeding the speed limit by 36 km/h or more is 50 points

sim-value
June 12th, 2009, 10:55 AM
But the thread is about the maximum speed limit in your country. The poll question has nothing to do with the actual speeds, it just asks if you care about having them or not, and is therefore useless.

If he would've made a poll with numbered answers, such as "100-120 km/h" or something similar, it wouldn't have been useless, since it does directly relate to the thread's topic.

I dont think is useless In the thread you have the Facts the Poll is an additional information ...

And a Poll about the Speed Limits would be

Either to Inaccurated (100-120) or to many options (70km-none)
And the thread would have died :)

schauerlich
June 12th, 2009, 11:02 AM
All numbers in MPH.

Northern California:

Type of Road: Posted: What people actually drive:
Suburban 25 30-40
Wide suburban/city 35-45 45-60
Freeways 65 75-85+

Kazade
June 12th, 2009, 11:14 AM

but in one of our islands off coast, either the Isle Of White or the Isle Of Man, cant remember which, there is NO speed limits :O

sounds like fun to me.

I'm from the Isle of Wight, I can assure you it's not us :) our fastest straight road is a single, very short, dual carriageway and I think even that is speed limited to like 50 or something :) You can do national speed down the windy country roads, but not if you value your life.

The Isle of Man is the one you are thinking of ;)

edm1
June 12th, 2009, 11:21 AM
What does 'do you care about speed limits' mean? I dont know how im supposed to answer.

gn2
June 12th, 2009, 11:28 AM

sounds like fun to me.

It's the Isle Of Man, but it's not part of the UK or ruled by the UK government.

Famous for the Isle Of Man Tourist Trophy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Man_TT) motorcycle road races.

Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbMO9U7COJo)

In the UK it's possible to be imprisoned for breaking the speed limit.

HavocXphere
June 12th, 2009, 12:27 PM
South Africa

So how fast are You allowed to Drive in your Country /state on a Highway ?
120 km/h (75miles/h) Highway (60kmh residential)

And do you care ?
Not sure what is being asked? Do I care about breaking the law? Yes

And what Punishments does your state use ?
Fines, Court appearance, license lost & meeting bubba in prison.

So and what about you ?
I do my best to stay within the speedlimit. In practice most drivers here stay within reasonable range of the limit (say limit+20 km/h).

The serious kinds of trouble start at limit + 40km/h.

Those numbers start looking frightening though if you consider that +-1/3 drivers are unlicensed & struggle with the most basic road rules. Add lots of overloaded & non-roadworthy vehicles and things get interesting.

sim-value
June 12th, 2009, 02:30 PM
What does 'do you care about speed limits' mean? I dont know how im supposed to answer.

Will go go 50 where 50 is allowed or 60 ?

As always you are allowed not to answer without a Lawyer :D

Screwdriver0815
June 12th, 2009, 02:56 PM
so whats the speedlimit in Israel? :D

pedja_portugalac
June 12th, 2009, 08:55 PM
so whats the speedlimit in Israel? :D
On Camel or Donkey? :lol:

Screwdriver0815
June 12th, 2009, 09:18 PM
ah here we have it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Speed_Limits#Israel

in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Speed_Limits one can see that also Peru and Venezuela follow the german model :D no speedlimit on Highways :D

pedja_portugalac
June 12th, 2009, 09:26 PM
ah here we have it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Speed_Limits#Israel

in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Speed_Limits one can see that also Peru and Venezuela follow the german model :D no speedlimit on Highways :D

I didn't knew camels and donkeys can run so fast. :lol:

n4mgr
June 14th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I live in New Mexico, US and the speed limit on the rural interstates here is 75 mph, urban 65 and metropolitan 55.

In Texas on I-10 from 100 miles west on San Antonio to 30 miles east of El Paso it is 80 mph for Cars, 70 for trucks with a reduced speed and increased enforcement at night to 65 mph.

Amilo1718
June 14th, 2009, 10:06 PM
ooops... i thought about bandwith ](*,)](*,)

kc3
June 14th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I'm in the US and the fastest I've seen was like 80MPh, I don't care though haha

thisllub
June 14th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Australia except the Northern Territory 110km/h
Some roads in the Northern Territory 130km/h

Otherwise varying signposted limits from 40km/h to 100km/h

When speed limits were imposed on Northern Territory roads 2 years ago fatalities increased.

One important difference between European laws and Australian is that trucks are confined to the kerbside lane in Europe. This is a huge safety factor.

Australian politicians are amongst the world's most stupid.

Screwdriver0815
June 14th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Australian politicians are amongst the world's most stupid.
then you don't know the german politicians ! :D

On german Highways sometimes the trucks are also not allowed to overtake. This "overtaking forbidden" is increasing more and more. This is good because it is sometimes really dangerous when trucks overtake. Especially on two-lane Autobahns

n4mgr
June 15th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Just think, If folks would go on up the road, trucks would not overtake. Until last week I drove a 40 ton semi here in the US and the one thing I absolutely hate about motorists here is they do not think, they are like sheep and either follow the crowd dashing in and out of traffic trying to see who can be first in line or they refuse to do anything more than hold up traffic. It is difficult to speed up and slow down because of the weight and in my opinion inadequate braking system on the trucks here. I just wish people we're more considerate. I don't care if anyone speeds or whatever, just don't cut off the guy that is bigger than you because if you have to stop suddenly, you may be stopping for the last time. Fortunately I don't have to worry about that anymore because I am tired of being treated as a slave. I have found my calling, just not behind the wheel of a truck.

Screwdriver0815
June 15th, 2009, 12:16 AM
Just think, If folks would go on up the road, trucks would not overtake. Until last week I drove a 40 ton semi here in the US and the one thing I absolutely hate about motorists here is they do not think, they are like sheep and either follow the crowd dashing in and out of traffic trying to see who can be first in line or they refuse to do anything more than hold up traffic. It is difficult to speed up and slow down because of the weight and in my opinion inadequate braking system on the trucks here. I just wish people we're more considerate. I don't care if anyone speeds or whatever, just don't cut off the guy that is bigger than you because if you have to stop suddenly, you may be stopping for the last time. Fortunately I don't have to worry about that anymore because I am tired of being treated as a slave. I have found my calling, just not behind the wheel of a truck.
maybe its offtopic, but anyway...

over here it is like that:
the speedlimit for trucks on highways is 80 kph = 50 mph. The speedlimit for normal cars is: ??

Because Germany is in the middle of europe, all the international trucks are going through Germany too. Oranges from Spain to Russia? Travel through Germany... and so on.
So we have lots of trucks over here. Sometimes it is like a huge traffic jam, consisiting out of 100% trucks on the right-hand lane of the highways.
All the trucks have enough power to speed up to 80 kph over here.
And the brakes are also not bad. But of course its not like in a car.

The most dangerous issue is that trucks often go to the left-hand lane (on two lane highways) or the middle-lane (on 3 lane highways) without taking care if there is someone overtaking next to them. Or they go out to overtake without looking in the mirror if there is a fast car coming from behind.
The difference in speed sometimes (maybe 200 kph compared to 80...) makes it dangerous. Then the trucker guy overtakes... he goes 82 kph and the other truck 79... this takes ages...

On the other hand, when the trucks were allowed to go faster, they crash into each other more often.
All the areas were trucks are not allowed to overtake are more safe. But the truckers also sometimes don't care about the "overtaking forbidden"

n4mgr
June 15th, 2009, 12:58 AM

over here it is like that:
the speedlimit for trucks on highways is 80 kph = 50 mph. The speedlimit for normal cars is: ??

Because Germany is in the middle of europe, all the international trucks are going through Germany too. Oranges from Spain to Russia? Travel through Germany... and so on.
So we have lots of trucks over here. Sometimes it is like a huge traffic jam, consisiting out of 100% trucks on the right-hand lane of the highways.
All the trucks have enough power to speed up to 80 kph over here.
And the brakes are also not bad. But of course its not like in a car.

The most dangerous issue is that trucks often go to the left-hand lane (on two lane highways) or the middle-lane (on 3 lane highways) without taking care if there is someone overtaking next to them. Or they go out to overtake without looking in the mirror if there is a fast car coming from behind.
The difference in speed sometimes (maybe 200 kph compared to 80...) makes it dangerous. Then the trucker guy overtakes... he goes 82 kph and the other truck 79... this takes ages...

On the other hand, when the trucks were allowed to go faster, they crash into each other more often.
All the areas were trucks are not allowed to overtake are more safe. But the truckers also sometimes don't care about the "overtaking forbidden"
I do understand, we have places in the states like that, particularly in California that restrict trucks to the right lane only and it never fails that someone in a truck ignores that and tries to pass someone with little regard for those behind them. My personal opinion is if your going to speed, go ahead and get it over with. The fines are not bad for the first 10 mph over the limit at $50 US in most places plus court cost which generally run about $100 US and then after that goes up about $25 us per 10 mph over the limit. We have reckless driving laws here in most states which apply to those over 15 mph over the limit, but not many police officers out there to catch those who drive aggressively and with careless disregard for others on the road.

thisllub
June 15th, 2009, 01:19 AM
then you don't know the german politicians ! :D

On german Highways sometimes the trucks are also not allowed to overtake. This "overtaking forbidden" is increasing more and more. This is good because it is sometimes really dangerous when trucks overtake. Especially on two-lane Autobahns

I was in Germany last year. The Autobahns aren't really any better than our highways but the rules make them a pleasure to drive on.

Between where I live and Brisbane there is a 4 lane freeway. Cars usually travel in the 2 right lanes and trucks travel in any lane they like. (We drive on the left like the British). It is infuriating.
The only way to get a clear run is to travel in the kerbside lane and overtake any way you can.

There is no point in having a good road and bad drivers.

pedja_portugalac
June 15th, 2009, 03:40 AM

Another very important problem is a fact that we have, in EU, more and more truckers from former eastern republics, now EU, and lot of them are not responsible at all, real fkn danger as the screwdriver mentioned above. :sad:

days_of_ruin
June 15th, 2009, 04:15 AM
over here in Germany it is 50 kph = 30 mph in the City, 100 kph = 60 mph on normal roads and no speedlimit on the Highway = Autobahn.

But in reality we also have some speedlimits on the Autobahn. Mostly 130 kph = 80 mph and they are expressed all the time with signs, so they are not general valid. Sometimes also lower, depending on the circumstances.

Fines are in a normal level I think. But I don't remember how much you have to pay when you are too fast. Because its too long ago since the police flashed me the last time.

what kind of car do you drive? I know cars here in the us have artificial speed limits built into them, but thats REALLY fast.

n4mgr
June 15th, 2009, 04:21 AM
what kind of car do you drive? I know cars here in the us have artificial speed limits built into them, but thats REALLY fast.

I know my car - a '95 Ford Crown Victoria is limited at 112 Mph(180km), this is entirely TOO FAST for me with all the hills and curves we have here in the states. Even out here in the desert 80 (128km) is about as fast as I'm comfortable driving.