PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] best ubuntu dock - (gnome-do)

zero1one0
June 11th, 2009, 09:35 PM
i have tried many docks in ubuntu such as Avant and Cairo but neither (even though very graphical) do not work well with me

i have a come accross a better dock which acts a lot performs much better than either

the thing is its not a dock by default

the app im talking about is "gnome-do"
you can search for it in the software channel

once you install it you must change its preferences
start gnome-do by going to Accessories - Gnome-do
first hit the super button and the space bar to make the menu pop up
click on the top right arrow button and click on preferences

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7960/screenshotj.png

now the preferences window will open

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/503/screenshot2yyp.png

set your settings to the ones you see in the image (start Gnome Do at login and Hide window on first launch (quiet mode) so you don't have to start Gnome Do every time

now we must go into the appearance tab
change the theme to "docky"

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/3696/screenshot3s.png

now all you have to do is add your applications like i did and your done

to access your preferences now in the "docky" theme just right click on the leftmost icon

there you go
i am sure you will very much like this simple app

keypox
June 11th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Yeah gnome-do is great but the docky gets confused sometimes. And will lock up.

I was thinking of going back to avant window manager, i had great experience with it. But look the gnome do docky functionality better.

Fzang
June 11th, 2009, 10:49 PM
Docky tends to get slower and slower over time after launch... or is that just me?

ckonestroh
June 12th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Docky tends to get slower and slower over time after launch... or is that just me?

Just you....

Depends on how many programs you have on start up and how many programs you loaded....

Amount of data written to drive....

I have to reinstall Ubuntu 9.04 this weekend.... Played with Compiz to much got it to go out of range corrupted x11 config....

Oh well no big deal get to load computer again .... Have some fun...

coolethan
June 12th, 2009, 02:02 AM
ok so i've been looking around every where and i cannot figure out what the heck <super> space is. what keys do you press there is no button on my keyboard that says super on it and my keyboard is unfortunately of the average sort not this new fangled super space.

peepingtom
June 12th, 2009, 04:28 AM
ok so i've been looking around every where and i cannot figure out what the heck <super> space is. what keys do you press there is no button on my keyboard that says super on it and my keyboard is unfortunately of the average sort not this new fangled super space.

It's the windows key.

If you wreck your xorg.conf, just delete it from a virtual terminal (ctrl+alt+f1 or f2 etc. F7 is reserved for X). Modern xorg doesn't freak out without it.

Gnome-Do has nicely provided a PPA.
https://launchpad.net/~do-core/+archive/ppa

picopir8
June 12th, 2009, 05:20 AM
Personally I dont see the point. gnome-do docky lacks the customizations available in awn and cairo. Most people use docks to change the look/feel of their desktop which cant be done with gnome-do. Sure it provides a list of applications, but the same can be done by simply creating a panel, making it thick, setting it to autohide, and dragging/dropping applications. Is there some other benefit of gnome-do docky that Im missing which makes it better than the panel w/o having to go to a full featured dock?

eilios
June 12th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Personally I dont see the point. gnome-do docky lacks the customizations available in awn and cairo. Most people use docks to change the look/feel of their desktop which cant be done with gnome-do. Sure it provides a list of applications, but the same can be done by simply creating a panel, making it thick, setting it to autohide, and dragging/dropping applications. Is there some other benefit of gnome-do docky that Im missing which makes it better than the panel w/o having to go to a full featured dock?
1: Docky provides an amazing UI for the actual gnome-do, and you can put some of your most oftenly used shortcuts on the panel. (EG, I frequently turn on various songs from banshee, and want to turn it on/off more quickly, so I used a gnome do thing that turns on a certain song and put it on the dock)
2: Docky has great animations.
3: Docky is an entire UI, if I had a system tray I could base my entire desktop off the UI.
4: Docky is very easily resized to whatever size I need
5: Docky fits in extremely well with my theme, and the animations make it even better.

MaX
June 12th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Maybe you need to use gnome-do without docky mode first to see what all the rage is about.
I have three icons on my dock, Firefox, Clock and Trash
And any other program that is started. but those are the default ones.

Check out http://do.davebsd.com/preview.shtml

BlazeFire247
June 13th, 2009, 01:40 AM
I'm not sure if I will like this or not, because I can't enable Compiz on my computer (Desktop Effects can't be enabled). I haven't tried any docks in Ubuntu yet, so if this doesn't work, I'm just going to try what picopir8 said in making a panel.