PDA

View Full Version : syscall in a kernel module

ranthal
June 11th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Hey all,

I am writing a loadable kernel module that will be interacting with a daemon in user space and it will be doing so via kernel sockets and system calls.

I've read up on a few different online sources on how to accomplish this and I haven't fully moved implemented it yet, but when I tried to compile my code just to test insmod and rmmod, no actual syscall table manipulation, I got an error about sys/syscall.h not existing.

For now I've commented it out and it compiled fine but looking ahead do I need to include this file? I want to declare the index to the system call table within my module so I don't have to patch the kernel since it's part of a much bigger build system.

Currently developing on kernel 2.6.26.2 but the module will eventually be used on 2.6.19.1. This may seem somewhat backwards and I can explain if you really want but its kind of long...

ranthal
June 11th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Just found linux/syscalls.h which seems to ahve a numebr of the kernel supported syscall function declarations but no syscall table.

Am I warm?

lensman3
June 11th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Mine is:

/usr/include/asm/unistd_64.h

or if you are 32

/usr/include/asm/unistd_32.h

ranthal
June 11th, 2009, 11:59 PM
Mine is:

/usr/include/asm/unistd_64.h

or if you are 32

/usr/include/asm/unistd_32.h

thanks, checked it out and it all looked good.

after banging my head against the wall for a while i ended up going with netlink sockets so i don't have to deal with the messiness of the syscall table for anyone who might be dealing with similar frustration and looking for another solution.