PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Where are the programs?

Robfrj
June 11th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Hello
I am a relative newcomer to Linux who has successfully installed the latest Kbuntu on my laptop. I have gone to repositories and chosen a number of amateur radio programs, downloaded them and according to the dialogue boxes, successfully installed them.

However, when I go to the desktop menu at the top left and down to "Ham Radio" numbers of the pieces of software I have downloaded are not there.

What am I missing?

Thanks

Rob

Mighty_Joe
June 11th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Exactly what programs have you installed? It's a possibility that they don't have graphical components, are run from the command line or just the package maintainer did not specify an icon for them.
Since you are on Kubuntu, there may also be a problem with that specific setup because the maintainer did not test that distribution.

Mighty_Joe
June 12th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Quoting your PM for the benefit of the forum

Thanks for your reply re where my programs are. In the past I have downloaded several ham radio programs that do show in the menu, but the last 3 or 4, which definitely would have graphical elements, have not.

When one is looking at software from a repository in Kubuntu's software manager, how do you find out if it will run in your particular distribution? I thought if it showed up in the repository it automatically means it will - but perhaps not.

What program? I can't try to duplicate your problem unless I know what we're talking about.
The programs should run. My theory is that the package in the repository doesn't have a launcher or the launcher has some problem with KDE.