PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a presentation

booyang
January 17th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Hello fine people, Im new here, and I come looking for help..Its not technical, but I require some information, and some insite on Ubuntu..I couldnt figure out what forum this subject would best fit into, so I posted it here..Sorry if it doesnt belong, feel free to move it to a more appropriate place..

You see I work for a very large multinational company. Its now budget time, as we near the fiscal year end, so of course this is the best time to make money saving suggestions..I posed the idea of switching our current Windows dominant systems over to Linux..

Now the way things currently go, we obviously have a deal with Dell to supply our systems, and each one runs a windows OS from windows 98, to Windows Office 2003, so obviosly theres no system unification going on..Theres current talk about upgrades to XP, but with Vista on the way, they are already looking at an out dated OS..

I pitched the Idea of Linux (after being a Ubuntu user myself), gave a demonstartion of it running, explained the basic premise of how it can be cost efficient, yadda,yadda.. The idea got Okay'd past the first level of consideration..

Now heres where I need some help.. I now have to make a presentation on why it should at least be considered, to switch to linux..As many of you know talking about Linux just doesnt make sense to a majority of people in this Windows based world..They know when they turn on their PC, Windows is there, and it was there since they purchased the computer...Using an Unknown like Linux is a hard concept to grasp, especially when your talking about a decision that could negatively effect your business..I only say negatively because when your current way of doing things works, "rocking the boat" might produce an unwanted result..

The worst thing is, I wont even be present for this thing..Im submitting the proposal,then I wait to see if they are interested in looking into it...Unlike the first stage of this idea of mine, I wont be present to field questions, or even show off a system running the OS.

Now heres where I can use some help..I need some ideas for key points to make, and I need to direct it at a group of people whos basic knowledge of computers is limited..

Some tips for my situation would be greatly appreciated..Ive been racking my brain for the last few days thinking of how to approach this.. Again, any info, tips, Ideas on what to present here would be appreciated..

gerbman
January 17th, 2006, 09:00 AM
This (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Presentations) might be relevant to your task. I haven't looked at much of the content, but you should be able to pick out some good points.

Good luck.

booyang
January 17th, 2006, 09:14 AM
That actually does help...alot.. thanks !

I still wouldnt refuse any more input that any of you fine folks might offer me..