PDA

View Full Version : MSI WIND U100 won't boot from flash drive

holic86
June 11th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Hello guys,
First of all, I'd like to mention that I'm completely new to linux and ubuntu - so, please have a patience with me. I decided to switch from Windows to Linux, as the spyware and stability issues of Win started to annoy me too much.
I downloaded the ubuntu netbook remix and wrote it using Flashnul onto a 2GB flash pen. But when I'm trying to boot from it, nothing seem to happen...I can see nothing but a black screen. My notebook is msi wind u100. I did verify the ubuntu image file and it seems to be just fine. Is there something else, that I'm missing? I'll appreciate any help.

raymondh
June 11th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Hello holic86,

I too, use an MSIWind U100. I followed the instructions from here using Ubuntu's image writer.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UNR/Installation/Easy

and can confirm that my VGA card works with x-org.

I have no experience with flashnull .... you may want to retry a liveUSB burn, using the above-mentioned link.

Regards,

holic86
June 11th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Thank you for the link. However, I'm running WinXP at the moment and therefore have to write the .img in the WinXP environment. The tutorial, you provided, mentions using Flashnul as a way to write the .img and that is what I exactly did.

raymondh
June 11th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Thank you for the link. However, I'm running WinXP at the moment and therefore have to write the .img in the WinXP environment. The tutorial, you provided, mentions using Flashnul as a way to write the .img and that is what I exactly did.

You are right ... I assumed you were using Ubuntu ... 'my bad.

thinkcow
June 12th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Hello guys,
First of all, I'd like to mention that I'm completely new to linux and ubuntu - so, please have a patience with me. I decided to switch from Windows to Linux, as the spyware and stability issues of Win started to annoy me too much.
I downloaded the ubuntu netbook remix and wrote it using Flashnul onto a 2GB flash pen. But when I'm trying to boot from it, nothing seem to happen...I can see nothing but a black screen. My notebook is msi wind u100. I did verify the ubuntu image file and it seems to be just fine. Is there something else, that I'm missing? I'll appreciate any help.

It could be that the first time you start, it takes quite a long time for something to happen [On my Asus EEE 701 it took 12 minutes the first time... causing me to re-create the image on different SD-cards/USB-sticks, untill finally I went and gave up and had an angry smoke outside only to find on coming back that it DID start but only took a lot longer than my Asus EEE 900 which did the same in 4 minutes :oops:]

holic86
June 12th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Thank you, for useful info. I'll give it a shot.