PDA

View Full Version : which free email?

alorenzo
June 11th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Hei!

I'm normally using gmail as email, I'm quite fine with it but I've heard some critics about it. I have had hotmail and yahoo and didn't like them as much.

What other choices are out there? And why choose them?

Thanks in advance, ciao!

uberlube
June 11th, 2009, 10:27 AM
google 'free email' and see which one tickles your fancy. Then see if its workable with linux. Youve already pretty much named the main ones.

ad_267
June 11th, 2009, 10:30 AM
What criticism have you heard about Gmail? It works great for me.

uberlube
June 11th, 2009, 10:32 AM
what criticism have you heard about gmail? It works great for me.

+1

sahabcse
June 11th, 2009, 10:38 AM
gmail is great one.

Try rediffmail,mail.com,AIM mail, GMX mail, zenbe, gawab.com,inbox.com, fast mail etc

starcannon
June 11th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I like gmail myself as well.
*Free Pop and Imap access
*lots of storage space
*iGoogle tied in.
*use any email client you wish, or use the browser when on foreign machines.

hellocatfood
June 11th, 2009, 10:46 AM
GMAIL works great for me. Better user interface and lots of options for using your own software with it.

billgoldberg
June 11th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Gmail provides the best user experience.

It has pop and imap support (so you can use evolution of thunderbird if you want) and has most likely the best spam filter in the world.

I tried various others hotmail, yahoo, mail.com, ... and none had the same level of useabilty.

WorfSOM
June 11th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Another vote here for Gmail.

I had been using Hotmail for years then finally made the switch, never looked back. I love the ability to add tags to messages, it is far easier and customisable to manage than physically moving messages into different folders.

For a free webmail account i don't think it can be beaten in my opinion.

solitaire
June 11th, 2009, 11:48 AM
+1 for gmail

Gmail via google apps is a great way to manage multiple domain Email addresses under a single login.

valex
June 11th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Gmail is the best mail ever I used. I can manage easily may mails. the best thing is google lab. it gives more features other than yahoo , hotmail

kirsis
June 11th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Here's another vote for gmail.

sertse
June 11th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Is this the most agreed upon thread ever? lol

uberlube
June 11th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Is this the most agreed upon thread ever? lol

I agree

WorfSOM
June 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I agree

Same here.

Sublime Porte
June 11th, 2009, 01:03 PM
+1 gmail.

Can any other service even be considered to compete with gmail?

Deamos
June 11th, 2009, 01:15 PM
+1 Gmail.

Haven't had a real issue with it at all. I use to w/ my iPhone to get dispatched for work. Also, you get a load of storage space :)

sharathpaps
June 11th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I never looked backed since Gmail. It's full of features and yet so simple.

+100 for Gmail.

Dragonbite
June 11th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I use GMail because I can connect to it via IMAP from all of my machines and via the web interface at work. This way, whether I'm at home's desktop or laptop, I don't have to worry about which computer did I download the message to. It's in the server in the same exact place I left it (same folder, same state of being read/unread, etc.)

I also like how Thunderbird and Evolution (not sure about KMail) can import my Google Contacts every time I open the program so I have access to one place for contacts.

Evolution, Kontact and Thunderbird are able to access my Google calendars and open them in read-write mode so I don't just "see" them, I can add and edit entries. Sometimes this connection is spotty but usually I can get it to work (eventually).

Of course, all of this is available in the web interface.

amitabhishek
June 11th, 2009, 01:40 PM
There are emails and then there is Gmail!!!

pwnst*r
June 11th, 2009, 01:41 PM
What criticism have you heard about Gmail? It works great for me.

^this

mxboy15u
June 11th, 2009, 01:42 PM
There is just no comparison to Gmail. Yahoo beats them for storage space but their interface is horrid and they do not support IMAP unless you pay. Gmail all the way.

lovinglinux
June 11th, 2009, 01:51 PM
+1 for Gmail

I also have accounts on hotmail and yahoo. Hotmail is terrible and I use it only to receive all the junk from registering on web sites. I only open it when I need to confirm a new account :)

Yahoo also sucks, but I like the disposable e-mail feature. So I redirect all messages to my Gmail account.

The Real Dave
June 11th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Hei!

I'm normally using gmail as email, I'm quite fine with it but I've heard some critics about it. I have had hotmail and yahoo and didn't like them as much.

Thanks in advance, ciao!

Personnaly I use Inbox (http://www.inbox.com/), probably not the best out there, but its nice to have your email as whatever@inbox.com :lolflag:

Its got a nice couple of feature though, 2Gb Storage as standard (some people can get 5gb free storage) a good picture storage/sharing facility, notes, and other cool little apps as well as the regualar email POP/SMTP stuff

Reccomended :D

ukripper
June 11th, 2009, 02:42 PM
+1 for GMAIL

elianthony
June 11th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Gmail by far

mharrison
June 11th, 2009, 02:51 PM
+1 for Gmail...I'm not the biggest fan of the "conversation" threading style, because it makes it hard to filter one person if you are on a list server, but it does help to keep everything together nicely.

gn2
June 11th, 2009, 02:55 PM
What are you G-mailers goig to do when Google decides to start charging?
Then there's the privacy issues to consider.

I was burned when Lycos pulled the plug on my old e-mail address, now I have my own url and it's definitely worth the small price to have full control.

mharrison
June 11th, 2009, 02:58 PM

I was burned when Lycos pulled the plug on my old e-mail address, now I have my own url and it's definitely worth the small price to have full control.

Same thing I did when G-mail came out and overturned Yahoo....Move on to the next best free thing like a clone. Thankfully only use G-mail for unimportant things that I could live without if I lost the e-mail address. Have my own domain with it's own e-mail service I use for important things. Helps keep spam down as well.

As for the privacy issue...that's why I don't use it for anything of utter importance. I don't care that Google knows that you replied to this thread and the Ubuntu Forums notified me of a reply. But I do care if they know my Phone Bill is ready and how much it is and what phone service I use.

chucky chuckaluck
June 11th, 2009, 03:00 PM
i want to have gmail's baby. (that should settle it.)

Dragonbite
June 11th, 2009, 03:13 PM

I may be effected by that, but my wife won't. She has her own website with email and her email account is forwarded to her Gmail account which is accessed via IMAP like I wrote before.

All she needs is to either have another IMAP account to point to, or change it into a POP account, or have a POP account pull it from her account.

Or we take our address book and inform everybody of our new email address.

ukripper
June 11th, 2009, 03:25 PM

I agree to have a small personal mail server but gmail provides plenty of features like docs/orkut/news/videos not fogetting GSPACE firefox extension to upload files, all linked. therefore i will still have gmail account even if i got my own mail server running.

pwnst*r
June 11th, 2009, 05:11 PM

i'd pay for it without hesitation. privacy issues? so you don't worry about any of the other free services?

gn2
June 11th, 2009, 06:44 PM
~ so you don't worry about any of the other free services?

I don't use them for anything even semi-important.

starcannon
June 11th, 2009, 07:12 PM
For my top secret 007 stuff I have my own mail server. For day to day stuff I have Gmail.

LookTJ
June 11th, 2009, 07:31 PM
+1 for GMail. I like the IMAP feature.

MrDelish
June 11th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I've had a Hotmail account for years, but haven't been able to reach the site for the last three days or so without a proxy involved. I've had emails sent from my Hotmail address to the same Hotmail address take about half a day to get to the inbox. Firefox's Adblock Plus plugin took care of the annoying ads that normally surround the UI. You get what you pay for, so I'm not complaining really. I've never had any qualms with Gmail since I started with it a year ago, and it leaves everything else in the dust as far as I'm concerned.

swoll1980
June 11th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Gmail for sure. Any Thing else that comes close, charges you for pop access.

dioltas
June 11th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Gmails great. I've got gmail, lavabit and my college email and I just get gmail to check them all. I don't think google will start charging anytime soon. The reason so many people use it is because it's free and they're making loads from advertising i'd say.

BackwardsDown
June 11th, 2009, 10:08 PM
+1 for gmail ;)

n4mgr
June 14th, 2009, 10:51 PM
+1 for gmail. I've been using gmail now for about 4 years or so. I really like the ability to use either pop/imap or webmail depending on where I am at the time. Also gmail has a decent spam filter that stops the spam before it hits the pop server. I hate canned meat anyways.

FuturePilot
June 14th, 2009, 10:57 PM
GMX. I got sick and tired of trying to make Gmail's broken IMAP work. (I wrote about this on my blog if you want to know more) So I switched to another provider, GMX, that offers real IMAP.

spike_naples
June 17th, 2009, 07:20 AM
Hei!

Thanks in advance, ciao!

I use all three (Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) but in all honesty, I am most comfortable with Gmail.

Pax-Man
June 17th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I'll stick to Gmail! The best free mail solution I've tried.

LookTJ
June 17th, 2009, 07:30 AM
I use Gmail and ATT(Yahoo), but prefer Gmail to any other any day.

LookTJ
June 17th, 2009, 07:56 AM
GMX. I got sick and tired of trying to make Gmail's broken IMAP work. (I wrote about this on my blog if you want to know more) So I switched to another provider, GMX, that offers real IMAP.
I registered a GMX address, and it wouldn't let log in via the web browser. Strange.

CJ Master
June 17th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Google wave, when it comes out.

Until then, Gmail.

treesurf
June 25th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I just discovered that Hotmail has enabled free POP support, which means I can have Gmail handle all of my email accounts now. Sweet! And with Gmail Offline it's also like having an email client! Gmail rocks.

philcamlin
June 25th, 2009, 08:54 PM
i use gmail:popcorn:

virusiidx
June 25th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Switched from Yahoo completely over to Gmail, I love the free imap feature. Never looked back.

sim-value
June 25th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Sorry but i hate gmail ...

cptrohn
June 25th, 2009, 10:10 PM
gmail for me too!