PDA

View Full Version : Different flavours of Linux for netbooks

aged hippy
June 11th, 2009, 09:57 AM
An interesting article here: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/06/09/which_linux_for_netbooks/
which reviews different flavours of Linux for net-books.

Then there are the folk who want a full desktop operating system on their mini machines. For them, for anyone who's out-grown the original UI, for enthusiasts who want to see what a full Linux distro can do and for anyone who's had enough of Windows, we've downloaded and tried a heap of netbook Linux variants to see how they well they perform on a trio of typical netbooks: the Asus Eee PC 1000, the Acer Aspire One and MSI's Wind.

We looked at many more distributions than those featured here. Most were good, but either offered nothing more than the ones below do, or lacked drivers or software necessary to run smoothly on a netbook. What we've listed below are those that we feel are most worthy of your attention, the ones you should try first.

drawkcab
June 11th, 2009, 06:20 PM
glad to see eeebuntu get some press...great project

mr-woof
June 11th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I've got easy peasy and crunchbang on my eee900 at the moment, that moblin does look nice.

Does anyone use it here?

pous
June 11th, 2009, 10:28 PM
how is the netbook remix different from the normal ubuntu?? what would happen if someone tried to install the regular ubuntu in a netbook through an external disc drive?

kevdog
June 11th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I'm hoping moblin does pull through. It looks real nice!

drawkcab
June 12th, 2009, 12:33 AM
how is the netbook remix different from the normal ubuntu?? what would happen if someone tried to install the regular ubuntu in a netbook through an external disc drive?

It has a different graphical interface. Go check out some screenshots and you'll see what I mean.

I'm running a modified version of ubuntu with a standard gnome desktop. It's just fine. The modification is to make sure a number of the netbook's hotkeys and such work.

Chemical Imbalance
June 12th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Jaunty works nicely out of the box on my eeepc 900a.

drawkcab
June 12th, 2009, 12:58 AM
If MS continues with their innane idea to cripple win7 for the netbook market, Moblin has a shot to put Linux in the hands of average computer users.

lancest
June 22nd, 2009, 10:11 PM
I really enjoyed using the Moblin interface. However being unfinished Moblin has way too many bugs at this point. It would not allow me to use Gmail so I went back to Eeebuntu.

LowSky
June 22nd, 2009, 10:21 PM
Moblin is interesting, but is built for the social crowd, not the office/student crowd. Ubuntu netbook edition is great for small screen sizes but does have some limitations.

SunnyRabbiera
June 22nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
Moblin is very promising though, but I am not sure if the linux+Arm combo will work with it as Moblin was developed by intel and most say the netbooks belong to ARM.

dcherryholmes
June 28th, 2009, 04:54 AM
I've got moblin running on my 900A now, after cycling through most of the distros available. In response to one of the upstream posters, I've not had any trouble accessing my Gmail account, as long as I've done it through firefox (which is pre-installed). The biggest drag for me with Moblin, as it stands now, is that it's built on top of red hat instead of ubuntu, and has a severely chopped-down number of packages in the repositories (I don't really care that much about typing "yum foo" vs. "apt foo"). So there are a lot of specific apps I'm used to installing for a computer to be fully functional to me, and I can't do that on Moblin. Barring compiling that is, but a brief foray into that showed me that "lib hunting" was going to be part of the process. OTOH, the boot/resume times, and the extreme snappiness of all the apps (main beef w/ prior distros: firefox was sluggish no matter how much I tweaked it) really makes me want to hang on to it. Bottom line: moblin is an extremely nice web portal.

Does anybody have any info about when the ubuntu-based moblin might be available? I know it started out that way, which makes googling for info a bit more difficult, but I mean specifically ubuntu + the new moblin beta.