PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Blank Xorg.conf???

Daeboy
June 11th, 2009, 09:07 AM
So I ran a clean install of jaunty recently and (almost) everything worked great! Even my LCDtv which I used to have to write modelines for in xorg.conf worked with no modification whatsoever -- or so I thought.

I was happily watching some movies... then decided [since this is a laptop] that I wanted to go out on the porch with it. Obviously I can't use the LCDtv as a monitor. So I shutdown the laptop and unhooked it from the tv. I booted it back up... black screen.

Uh oh. "What have I done now," I thought. So I rebooted once more to make sure - still the same. Just a black screen with my mouse. Next time I booted into terminal to manually edit this faulty xorg.conf. Well - there is one, but - it's BLANK. No data in it.

I thought it was interesting and tried logging on as another user. It worked. Their desktop looked perfectly fine. So I'm assuming there's some hidden file/folder in my specific home directory that would make it act... well... different? :P Any ideas?

Lampi
June 11th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I guess Xorg.conf is supposed to be empty with Jaunty clean install - most of the stuff that used to be in there is getting auto probed these days, what's left is in ~/.config ~/.kde (depending on your GUI in use) spread over a few xml files.

This doesn't mean you can't use a xorg.conf anymore - you'd have to set one up on your own with the basic Section entries. Xorg will always parse your xorg.conf first, then follows the stuff in your home directory.

Daeboy
June 13th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I went into my ~/.config folder and found nothing indicating resolutions, monitors, etc. I just don't understand why the LCDtv worked fine but when I rebooted my screen was black. :P I could do it again, but I'd risk going through a lot of trouble like I did the first time.

[Very, VERY long story short (not to mention stupid of me) I ended up with no alternative but to delete my user and re-add it - losing all of my files]

I think what I'm going to do is write a modeline for the LCDtv in my xorg.conf and comment it out when I'm not using the LCDtv. That's not really a "solution" per se, but it's the best thing I can come up with for now.

Gnome is my GUI, by the way. Is there any file -specifically- in the .config folder that deals with overall "monitor performance"? I found the menus and things like that - but like I said - nothing having to do with actual monitor behaviour or resolutions.

Thanks for the help and sorry for being a pain. :P

gradinaruvasile
June 13th, 2009, 07:04 AM
type
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
in a terminal

then

sudo nvidia-settings

in case u have nvidia card

asmoore82
June 13th, 2009, 07:51 AM
type
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
in a terminal

This is depreciated and should not be used anymore -
it actually does nothing on 9.04 but replace xorg.conf
with a fresh empty one that is mostly comments:

asmoore@ubuntu-lenovo:~$ wc /etc/X11/xorg.conf
34 160 1038 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
asmoore@ubuntu-lenovo:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customised configuration
file; backup in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20090613023826
asmoore@ubuntu-lenovo:~$ wc /etc/X11/xorg.conf
33 160 1037 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
asmoore@ubuntu-lenovo:~$ grep '^#' /etc/X11/xorg.conf | wc
19 134 783

xorg.conf can still be used to override automagic settings such as
which extensions to load or which video driver to use;
but it should no longer be used to set modelines or resolutions -
this is all done on-thy-fly now through XRandR.

you can simply run `xrandr` with no options to see a list of what devices are
connected and what resolutions they support.

I have a metacity keyboard shortcut Alt+F7 that runs:

xrandr --auto
which automatically enables/disables hot-plugged displays.

you don't even need Xorg.conf to do over-sized virtual screens anymore -
the highest my laptop panel can go is 1280x800 but I can run 1280x1280
in a "scrolling" display window like this:

xrandr --fb 1280x1280 --output LVDS --mode 1280x800 --panning 1280x1280

and to return to normal:

xrandr --fb 1280x800 --output LVDS --mode 1280x800

the standard gnome screen resolution settings dialog "Display" which I'll admit used
to be useless is actually quite good now - it's almost as powerful as `xrandr`

Long story short, for your LCDtv, you may be able to just need to
open "Display" and use the "Detect Monitors" button - if it doesn't
"just work" yet it will in the not-too-distant future.

Daeboy
June 13th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Wow, thanks a lot! Oddly enough I got a different result this time 'round (as I was dumb enough to hook it back up to the LCDtv to see if I got the same results). Before shutting down the laptop and unplugging the LCDtv I decided to be smart this time and run the gnome-settings-properties program.

I tinkered around with the screens for a moment - fiddled with the resolution a bit - and it asked me if I wanted to save it to a configuration file of sorts (said it was recommended) - so I complied. What this actually did was turn my blank xorg.conf into a xorg.conf for the LCDtv.

So now - without any modelines, mind you - my xorg.conf is specifically geared towards the LCDtv and I've commented it out until I use it next. :) However, having read your post I'll definitely do more research of my own on the subject. Thank you very much for all of the helpful info.