PDA

View Full Version : Illuminated Keyboards

MikeTheC
June 11th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Hey folks, I just thought I'd mention that this evening I bought a Logitech "Illuminated Keyboard". It may not be the most imaginative product name, but I really do like it. It's clean, the print is reasonably-sized, and whether in normal light or a dark room, the thing is extremely easy to read.

It may not be the cheapest one out there, but I like it.

So, how many other folks here have backlit keyboards? Do like them? What features do think are important?

pwnst*r
June 11th, 2009, 01:55 PM
i love logitech, but gawd

You've just gotten home. It's dark but you still have e-mails to write, people to chat with, blogging to do. While everyone else is in the dark, you're getting ready to shine. Don't you deserve a keyboard that shines with you?

who's the retard who wrote that?

also a link for others: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/4740&cl=US,EN

i don't see the point in a k/b that's illuminated other than the neat-0 factor. how are the chiclet style keys? much travel? i use the aluminum apple k/b and love it. my monitor's a 24" HP, so that's enough illumination for me @_@

Therion
June 11th, 2009, 02:01 PM
... Don't you deserve a keyboard that shines with you?
Why... Yes, yes I do!!

I SIMPLY MUST HAVE A KEYBOARD THAT LET'S ME SHINE!!!

mousestalker
June 11th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I have an illuminated keyboard. I am quite fond of it. Among its manifold uses, I can type in the dark with few mistakes.

I will admit I did go overboard a bit though. Instead of being my normally frugal self, I bought the Saitek Cyborg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823175005) keyboard. But it was on sale at the time.

The Real Dave
June 11th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Hey folks, I just thought I'd mention that this evening I bought a Logitech "Illuminated Keyboard". It may not be the most imaginative product name, but I really do like it. It's clean, the print is reasonably-sized, and whether in normal light or a dark room, the thing is extremely easy to read.

It may not be the cheapest one out there, but I like it.

So, how many other folks here have backlit keyboards? Do like them? What features do think are important?

I don't have a nice fancy backlit keyboard, but I do have an illuminated one. It nice and simple, two LEDs extending out of the keyboard, pointing down to light it up. Their powered off the keyboard's power, and turned on and off by the scroll lock key :D Not the most elegant solution, but free and effective :lolflag:

MikeTheC
June 11th, 2009, 05:17 PM
The reason I wanted to get one is I was tired of having to keep a room-heating light on just for the benefit of typing (I'm a touch typist but there are some other keys I use and it's quicker to look down to see them than feel for them).

Anyhow, I also like the choice of font for the key caps. It's Bank Gothic, and is quite a popular choice of font.

swoll1980
June 11th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I want one.

MikeTheC
June 11th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I want one.

I wonder if MicroCenter over on S.O.M. Center Road has them. If memory serves, generally they have a good assortment of accessories, peripherals, etc.

swoll1980
June 11th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I wonder if MicroCenter over on S.O.M. Center Road has them. If memory serves, generally they have a good assortment of accessories, peripherals, etc.

I gave them a resume for a tech 1 job there yesterday. I have my fingers crossed.

MikeTheC
June 11th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I gave them a resume for a tech 1 job there yesterday. I have my fingers crossed.

That's cool. Let me know if it works out for you. Every few years I make it back up to Cleveland, usually for family stuff. If you're there, I'll stop by and say "Hello!"

And also, good luck on your attempt. From everything I've heard, MicroCenter is supposed to be a nice company to work for. A friend of mine is a regular customer of one of their two Atlanta-area stores, and he tells me their tech staff has been about the same for the last 20 years. Now, as a rule, one normally doesn't stay in a retail-type job for 20 years if they really don't like it.

I just wish we had one down here, but actually now that CompUSA has been bought out, the local CompUSA store we've got is actually pretty decent. It's where I bought this keyboard from, and usually where I get my stuff from. It's amazing how being owned by the right company can make all the difference in the world with respect to inventory and pricing... :shock:

swoll1980
June 11th, 2009, 05:42 PM
And also, good luck on your attempt. From everything I've heard, MicroCenter is supposed to be a nice company to work for.

I heard the same thing. I need a part time job until I finish school. I just randomly clicked on the careers link. Only 5 stores in the country were hiring, and Mayfield happened to be one of them, and it just happened that the only position they had available was for one tech1 job, and it just happened to be part-time. I thought it was fate. Hopefully it was.