PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome weather: add cities in 9.04?

Clancy_s
June 11th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Summary - in 9.04 I can't find the config file that gnome is using for the weather applet, I wonder if someone knows which and where it is?

I live in a regional town in Australia (Newcastle), with an airport with an online weather station (YWLM). I like to use that station for my weather applet instead of Sydney, which is 150k away.

Newcastle has never been big enough to be included in the default pick list. I can cope with that, so long as I can get access to the config file and add it. For ubuntu 7.10 that was Locations.xml under /usr/share/gnome-applets/gweather. In 8.10 it was in /usr/share/libgweather.

With 9.04 I can't find the file that gnome is using, and having indavertently selected a new station I've lost my local weather monitor - I can't get it either in the standalone gnome weather applet or in the one built into the clock.

I've have my custom Locations.xml in

/usr/share/gnome-applets/gweather
/usr/share/libweather
and also
usr/share/evolution(something I've forgotten)

which are the only places I can find a native copy, to no effect. I'm presuming the new version of gnome is getting it's info from a new file, does anyone know where? I've tried google and some general gnome sites, no joy.

I know I could use conky but since all I want is the weather I'm hoping for a simple answer.

Sarai the Geek
June 11th, 2009, 04:31 AM
On my machine, there is a Locations.xml located at:

/usr/share/libgweather
/usr/share/evolution-data-server-2.26/weather

Hope that helps!

Clancy_s
June 12th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Alas, allowing for my faulty memory, those are the ones I've replaced.

Thanks for trying though

sawjew
July 16th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Did you find out where the locations.xml file is? The one in /usr/share/evolution-data-server-2.26/weather only has US cities in it. I want to add information for Renmark Airport, SA as my closest weather station.

Stainesy
July 16th, 2009, 03:43 AM
My Coolangatta Airport location is in /usr/share/libgweather/Locations.xml

Clancy_s
July 18th, 2009, 04:34 AM
My Coolangatta Airport location is in /usr/share/libgweather/Locations.xml

Thanks for the push - that turns out to be the place to add new cities. The reason I was having a problem turns out to be that the format of Locations.xml has changed and I was trying to use the old one I made for 7.10 (worked through to 8.10).

I had to edit the new one and add in my city. As an example this is my addition

<city><name>Williamtown</name><coordinates>-32.793200 151.8359</coordinates><location><name>Williamtown Airport</name><code>YWLM</code><coordinates>-32.793200 151.8359</coordinates></location></city>

I added it alphabetical order in the state section (NSW, which already existed. I logged out and in and Williamtown is now on the list and seems to work correctly - the data matches what I get from a direct lookup. :)

eta: gedit got indigestion, I used open office word on a copy I'd made then a root version of nautilus to add it back to /usr/share/libgweather/, having first renamed the original Locations.xml to Locations.bkp in case I borked something.