PDA

View Full Version : Best Apps for a Guitarist!!??!!

pluckypigeon
June 11th, 2009, 01:35 AM
We all know about track recording software so please don't mention any of those.

Solfege -
I'd like to mention solfege, it trains your ears, teaches you theory and lots of other stuff.

Anyone else got any favourites??

LookTJ
June 11th, 2009, 01:37 AM
TuxGuitar, it's a tab program.

chucky chuckaluck
June 11th, 2009, 01:51 AM
i wish some of the guitarists i know could find an app to teach them some humility. b'dum-ching!1

chriskin
June 11th, 2009, 01:56 AM
is there any other good tab application? even outside the repositories

i wish some of the guitarists i know could find an app to teach them some humility. b'dum-ching!1

100% true

pluckypigeon
June 11th, 2009, 02:07 AM
is there any other good tab application? even outside the repositories

If you get guitar pro 5 working through wine that's a good one.. it's not open source though. I've seen a howto on how to install it somewhere in this forum

chriskin
June 11th, 2009, 02:09 AM
If you get guitar pro 5 working through wine that's a good one.. it's not open source though. I've seen a howto on how to install it somewhere in this forum

i know about quitar pro, i just hoped there would be a native one.

.Maleficus.
June 11th, 2009, 02:10 AM
I've found that Windows is best for guitar applications (sadly). I've got Guitar Pro 5.2 RSE (which actually sounds good), Power Tab, Riffworks T4 and a few modeling programs like ReValver and unfortunately, there really isn't a good substitute for those. TuxGuitar looks pretty cool for tabs but alas, I need more than just tabbing software.

pluckypigeon
June 11th, 2009, 02:11 AM

noteedit or kguitar??

RiceMonster
June 11th, 2009, 02:46 AM

TuxGuitar. It replaces GuitarPro prefectly for me and reads gp3,4 and 5 files.

LookTJ
June 11th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Same here.

pluckypigeon
June 11th, 2009, 06:56 PM

That was to the user who brought up Tuxguitar:p

Bölvağur
June 11th, 2009, 07:24 PM

yes and even if you have strange midi sounds on your computer you can download (that thing) from alsa which sounds exactly like guitarpro in windows. or you can download the windows's gm.dls file and link it through java in tuxguitar.... if that makes sense to anyone.. I guess Im not a good at explaining today :(

floborg
June 12th, 2009, 06:22 AM
What about stuff that replaces, say, Line6 GuitarPort's software - RiffTracker, is it? I think that has a lot in common with GarageBand. Are more expensive options, like GuitarRig, usable under Wine?

LepeKaname
June 12th, 2009, 06:29 AM
It may not be so related, but LMMS is very good if you like to compose your own music (very similar to fruity loops in windows) .

don't install it from the default repositories, use LMMS official site repositories instead.

pluckypigeon
June 12th, 2009, 06:34 AM
What about stuff that replaces, say, Line6 GuitarPort's software - RiffTracker, is it? I think that has a lot in common with GarageBand. Are more expensive options, like GuitarRig, usable under Wine?

Rakarrack is quite cool as a Guitar Rig alternative. I found a rpm somewhere and converted it with alien. Not sure if it's in the repos or not. You need to use qjack with it, which took me a while to understand, though.