PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Your Experiences with kernel 2.6.30 on Jaunty

slumbergod
June 11th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I just wondered if anyone else had installed the 2.6.30 kernel and headers from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ now that it is no longer a release candidate.

I have had a terrible time with Jaunty. For me it was the worst release so far. The proposed updates repo improved things a bit but I decided to try the 2.6.30 kernel.

With the new kernel:
- wireless is working perfectly;
- sound seems improved (though the physical volume control on my Acer laptop still doesn't work);
- and video performance seems fine too. I have reverted back to the default Jaunty intel video driver (from the older intrepid one) with no cpu spiking yet.

If 2.6.30 really does solve the regressions for the majority of people perhaps it should be added to the the official jaunty repos.

I really feel like Canonical made a mess of Jaunty. I installed it because every review I read praised it as being fantastic. Yes, dear trolls, I could go back to Intrepid but I think given that Ubuntu has become the flagship of the Linux world, canonical should have worked harder to fix things before abandoning everyone in favour of the Koala. Not everyone is a linux guru and Ubuntu *is* the version most ex-Windows users will experiment with. Perhaps it is best to have less frequent releases but ensure they are rock solid in terms of stability.

Let the trolls comment now.

questioning
June 11th, 2009, 05:02 PM
could someone explain why i cant use vga=794 (it equals no output on my ttys) on all the kernels from the mainline ppa ? they use the same config as the stock ubuntu kernels right? so why is that?