PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] windows 7 + ubuntu

nasu3313
June 10th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Hello, this is my first post here :D

Anyways, I was wondering about how I would go about creating a vpc in ubuntu. I have the RC of Windows 7 and I would like to use that while i am using ubuntu. I have dual monitors, and I would like my secondary monitor to be used for windows 7 for the use of dreamweaver, photoshop, etc... The problem is, I do not have a dvd burner for the windows 7 iso, and I was wondering as well if I could use a program such as UltraISO to run an emulated drive and install windows 7 via the vpc.

Help is much appreciated. I am not sure if this is in the correct spot, but if its not could you kindly move it. Thank you!

PureLoneWolf
June 11th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Hi

I would recommend Virtualbox (www.virtualbox.org). Make sure you read the instructions and get the PUEL edition if you want to pass USB devices through to the guest OS (in your case Windows 7)

I haven't tried Windows 7 myself, but I use Vbox PUEL and XP to allow my Canon Scanner to function (not yet Linux supported) and it works perfectly. I also have dual monitors and just drag the Vbox window to monitor 2 and maximise.

On the virtual machine config, you can specify an ISO image to be mounted for the machine or indeed a physical drive, so this would do what you need.

Hope that helps

nasu3313
June 11th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks man, I will work on this tomorrow as soon as I am finished with work.