PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Convert Onboard FakeRAID to Linux SoftRAID?

muecker
June 10th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I just installed my new workstation (Dell Optiplex 960) last week with a brand new Jaunty x64 install. The machine has an on-board RAID controller, and the installer set up dmraid automatically. However, I have had some issues, mainly that the machine will "pause" from time to time (I'm pretty sure it is the RAID controller doing it). To alleviate the issues, I would like to disable the onboard RAID and switch to SoftRAID.

In all of the forums I have read, it is suggested that you use FakeRAID only if you intend to dual boot between Windows and Linux, which I am not doing. Almost everybody agrees that for a Linux-only system, it is best to stick with SoftRAID and avoid FakeRAID.

I was wondering, would it be possible for me to disable RAID through the BIOS and convert the current setup to Linux SoftRAID or would I have to re-install Linux to do so? Would it even be a good idea to do it if I could?

How would I go about doing something like that? If I disable RAID in the BIOS, will the first drive simply boot as if it was never part of a RAID configuration?

This is the first time I have ever run a machine with RAID so some of these questions might seem pretty basic.