PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] OGG VBR Format?

tomreid
June 10th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Hi

I'm trying to do my bit to encourage usage of the opensource .ogg file format. I run a website called www.kirkcaldybands.com which has a lot of sound files. I have converted one or two from the original wav files and compared them to the existing .mp3 files that are on the site. The MP3s are coded in 192KBS (VBR) and I converted the original wavs back to .ogg format at 192 KBS using Gnome's sound converter. The .ogg does not sound quite as good and I think it is because I can't find a way to set the sound converter to VBR encoding. The sound converter in Gnome seems a fairly simple tool, does anyone know of a converter that will create encode an .ogg file with VBR?

cheers

lukeiamyourfather
June 10th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Ogg Vorbis is inherently VBR so there's no option for it because it already is. Maybe try a higher quality setting and then compare the results. Also consider the overall file size between the files not just the estimated bitrate. Cheers!

tomreid
June 12th, 2009, 02:07 AM
Thanks - I was wondering why i was searching for ".ogg VBR" and not getting anything back!

cheers