PDA

View Full Version : What would you use without Ubuntu?

BoyOfDestiny
January 17th, 2006, 04:11 AM
What would you use if Ubuntu was no longer a viable option?

Here is my list of possibilities:

1. Another Linux flavor (either debian based or gentoo)
2. A BSD flavor
3. FreeDOS
4. an abacus (sometimes the old ways are best)

This thread is just in good fun, not meant for flames.

I just wanted something to "combat" the announcement of those going back to Windows...

For me, windows is no longer an option! Do you feel the same?

DoorGunner
January 17th, 2006, 04:13 AM
There are lots of really good distros out there.

i have Fedora Core 4 and Gentoo on my machine as well.
I have thought about trying arch linux to see what its about.

Jessehk
January 17th, 2006, 04:18 AM
I'd probably use SuSE or Fedora Core 4

aysiu
January 17th, 2006, 04:21 AM
I'd be on Mepis. PCLinuxOS doesn't look too shabby, either, but it doesn't recognize my new USB mouse.

zenwhen
January 17th, 2006, 04:39 AM
Debian

fourchannel
January 17th, 2006, 04:47 AM
gentoo, or, LFS. Force myself to learn more. ubuntu's a good staging ground for that. You get a box and try to LFS it, get kicked in the balls, and then run crying back to your ubuntu machine. Cycle repeats itself.

briancurtin
January 17th, 2006, 04:53 AM
SuSE (distro i have the most experience with, and i have 9.3 and 10.0 box sets up on my bookshelf)
Fedora Core 4 (used for a week, liked it a lot but couldnt get sound going plus a few other quirks)
CentOS (have the discs, never tried it out)

not windows

super
January 17th, 2006, 04:59 AM
fedora core 4
or
elive (installed to disk)

nalmeth
January 17th, 2006, 05:01 AM
I would probably have Agnula (demudi) on a partition, and have a revolving door on another, constantly trying out new systems.

PCLinux does indeed look cool. Slick liveCD anyway.

carl13
January 17th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Debian

bscbrit
January 17th, 2006, 05:07 AM
Fedora Core

Iandefor
January 17th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Mepis, maybe? Possibly Debian. I might even move on to a different POSIX operating system, like BSD.

Oh, and I agree. Windows is not an option. Mac OS as a last resort.

h3xx3r
January 17th, 2006, 05:25 AM
I'd probably use SuSE or Fedora Core 4

Ditto.
Although would probably sway more to the core :)

stuporglue
January 17th, 2006, 05:27 AM
I'd still be distro hopping.

I used Gentoo for 1.5 years, then school was taking too much time, so I didn't have the time to play with it any more.

I'd probably be cycling through FC4, Slackware, Debian and maybe the BSDs now trying to find something that just works. Now that OpenSuse is out, I'd probably be trying that...I like the lizard logo. :-)

Someday when I have time, I want to do LFS, just to say I've done it.

Omnios
January 17th, 2006, 05:27 AM
Probably debian Im tempted to say Fedora but do not have anouph linux how-to to be a red hat ginny pig

earobinson
January 17th, 2006, 05:29 AM
debian, or fedora

Adrian
January 17th, 2006, 05:29 AM
I'm alternating between SUSE and Ubuntu, so I guess SUSE would be the natural choice for me...

...along with Debian :)

23meg
January 17th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Debian, no doubt.

eriqk
January 18th, 2006, 12:58 AM
A Gentoo stage 3 install, DeMuDi or Fedora.

Groet, Erik

Galoot
January 18th, 2006, 01:25 AM
Probably Mepis, though I'd like to give FreeBSD a try, too.

gabhla
January 18th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Xandros...maybe, although it's not fee. I don't know. Hope I'll never have to worry about it.

Lovechild
January 18th, 2006, 01:57 AM
The same thing I use now, Fedora Core 5 Test 2.. a wonderful distribution - which unlike Dapper likes to boot on my machine and display X using a non-broken driver.

Azion
January 18th, 2006, 02:02 AM
Probably Suse, or else I'd give Gentoo a shot

PatrickMay16
January 18th, 2006, 03:39 AM
What would you use if Ubuntu was no longer a viable option?

Here is my list of possibilities:

1. Another Linux flavor (either debian based or gentoo)
2. A BSD flavor
3. FreeDOS
4. an abacus (sometimes the old ways are best)

This thread is just in good fun, not meant for flames.

I just wanted something to "combat" the announcement of those going back to Windows...

If Ubuntu was no longer a viable option (which I hope never happens), I would try some other linux distributions. The first I would try would be Debian.
If I couldn't find one that fit my needs as much as I wanted, I would go back to using Windows 2000.

Stormy Eyes
January 18th, 2006, 04:12 AM

The way I figure it, having to use Windows at work is payback for my having been very naughty in a previous life. I must have been a priest, or a politician, or perhaps a tax collector.

mstlyevil
January 18th, 2006, 05:31 AM
That is tough to answer. I considered experimenting with Linux for a while then I read about Ubuntu on PC World in an article by the free agent. I had no clue about the different flavors of "Linux" so that article made it a whole lot easier to give it a shot. It is hard for me to actually say which distro I would have tried first if not for Ubuntu. It would probally be one that was recieving good press and was easy for someone who had no clue about Linux to set up and use. If I had to make the choice now it would be either Suse or Mephis. I have used Suse 10 for a period of about a month and found it an overall great distro. Mephis on the other hand I have never tried but I have heard many people rave about it so my curiosity would probally be peaked and I would have to give it a shot before going back to Suse.

fuscia
January 18th, 2006, 05:50 AM
if i ever get a laptop, i'm thinking about putting freebsd on it, so freebsd would be it. (ask me in twenty minutes and i'll probably say something completely different.:rolleyes: )

drizek
January 18th, 2006, 05:53 AM
suse or mepis

nocturn
January 18th, 2006, 08:52 AM
1 then 2

Vlammetje
January 18th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Hard to say.

My only real linux experience is with Ubuntu so far and I'm ready to give it up yet.... if it weren;t for Ubunut I might never have come to use Linux in the first place... so the thought of it not existing would put me back at Win XP I suppose.... but since I no longer have an XP partition (YAY me! :KS ) I would probably try out various distros until I find one that suits me..... if all else fails there is always XP but I cannot really see myself going back now, not when there is an alternative.

BSDFreak
January 18th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Same as now minus Ubuntu. Slackware, OpenBSD and FreeBSD IOW. I'd still have XP installed on my computers but i don't use it personally.

Sef
January 18th, 2006, 09:30 AM
I would go toward debian, slackware, or FreeBSD to start.

drfalkor
January 18th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Windows XP ( sorry guys, need to do photoshop(native), and playing games(native) )

kairu0
January 18th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Windows 3.11 for Workgroups

...or Suse ;)

Vlammetje
January 18th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Windows XP ( sorry guys, need to do photoshop(native), and playing games(native) )

So, you must be usin windows XP now as well then, right? As Ubuntu does neither of those?

And why apologise? Everybody is entitled to their own choice for their own reasons ;)

Derek Djons
January 18th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I would probably make a choice between SuSE Linux or Debian Linux.

commodore
January 18th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I think Debian for start. DesktopBSD later.

syväpaahto
January 18th, 2006, 05:29 PM
latest MEPIS because now it uses Xorg.
Zenwalk was also a nice experiance.
Just as a side project I might give a Puppy linux or DSL a try

tseliot
January 18th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Fedora and/or Debian Etch (when it's released as stable) for my desktop computer.

Damn Small Linux for my portable computer.

poofyhairguy
January 18th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Gentoo or Sid.

Kapre
January 18th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Knoppix or Fedora....or Windows 98.

K

linbetwin
January 18th, 2006, 06:10 PM
I would use Windows ME, the most reliable OS ever.

jc87
January 18th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Suse , Mandriva , Fedora Core , ...

jeffjj
January 19th, 2006, 06:38 AM
I would stare endlessly at my blank monitor and wish Ubuntu was there...

geekphreak
January 19th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Prior to Ubuntu/Kubuntu, I used Fedora, Suse and PCLinuxOS. I really liked PCLinuxOS, I think I would probably use that. Oh, and for on the go, I use DamnSmall embedded - on my USB drive.