PDA

View Full Version : Where is vnc.so - what package has it?

chaumurky
January 20th, 2005, 12:21 AM
Hello everyone. This is my first Ubuntu post! So, down to business... :D I want to load the vnc.so module using the method described at http://www.realvnc.com/v4/x0.html. I have the 'tightvncserver' package installed along with 'vnc-common' and even 'libvncserver-dev' but I can't find vnc.so on my system. It worked very well for me in Mandrake and was nice and fast. Can someone tell me if there's a deb package that contains this file? Thank you.

mendicant
January 20th, 2005, 03:52 AM
You can look into x11vnc. It doesn't actually have vnc.so, though. That's in vnc4server, which is only in hoary.

chaumurky
January 20th, 2005, 04:35 AM
Is it faster than vino? Gnome Remote Desktop is so laggy I have to use -dotcursor so my mouse arm doesn't feel like it's moving through molasses... :lol:

mendicant
January 20th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Having never used vino, I couldn't tell you. I also usually don't export my current desktop over VNC. If you really want vnc.so, you could just grab it from hoary. The dependencies of vnc4server look pretty straightforward, so it doesn't look like you'd be pulling in anything terribly unstable, but use aptitude to make sure.

milli
October 25th, 2005, 07:16 AM
vnc.so is in the vnc4server package as of this writing.

I can tell you that the new vnc 4.x X server extension is a LOT faster than Vino. It also has the distinct advantage that it works even if X is sitting on a greeter screen (i.e., gdm). I have several servers that I previously had to set a timed auto-login just so vino-server would start. I don't have to do that now.

You do have to use xvnc4viewer though to take advantage.

For Breezy, I did this:

On both client and server side:

Uncommented the 'universe' line in /etc/apt/sources.list
Ran apt-get update

On the server side:

Ran apt-get install vnc4-common vnc4server
cd /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions
mv vnc.so libvnc.a
Modified /etc/X11/xorg.conf to have 'Load "vnc"' in the Module section and 'Option "SecurityTypes" "None"' in the Screen section
Killed and restarted the X server (/etc/init.d/gdm restart from a console, for example, or just Ctrl-Alt-Backspace inside of X)
Checked /var/log/Xorg.0.log to make sure the vnc extension loaded after X restarted

On the client side:

Ran apt-get install vnc4-common xvnc4viewer
Ran xvnc4viewer hostname (replace hostname with your server's name, of course)

You can also, optionally, run vnc4config on the server side to enable clipboard support... very handy!

chaumurky
October 25th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Ha! You dredged up my first post! I never got to doing that after all as I settled with x11vnc loading with GDM. I'll have to try it again!

chaumurky
October 26th, 2005, 12:56 AM
I added:

Option "rfbAuth" "/home/<username>/.vnc/passwd"

In the "screen" section. Works well. :KS