PDA

View Full Version : Free CDs?

jpmaglutac
June 10th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I have to admit that when deciding on what build of linux to use, I chose Ubuntu mainly because they gave away free CDs of the OS. Ever since I've started using Ubuntu (Which was since Hardy), I've been requesting a free CD from Canonical.

I do realize that having them send a CD to you costs them money (albeit a relatively small amount), and sometimes I feel guilty for potentially abusing the free CDs. But I like to consider these as collector's items and, well, I can't resist at the thought of having a collection of Ubuntu CDs from the different versions.

What do you guys think? Am I abusing Canonical? Or do I have the right to get CDs a much as I please?

HappyFeet
June 10th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I am like you in the regard that I like to collect the official cd's. I have a very high speed connection and do not need to do this. But I do give back by seeding ubuntu torrents 24/7/365. I also report bugs and try to help others when I can. I think I have given back enough to deserve an official cd.

waspbr
June 10th, 2009, 06:35 PM
If you feel guilty, then you can always donate to canonical or another linux project... I am sure the devs appreciate the support...

If money is a problem, just try to help out in the community.

moodooda
June 11th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I could not burn Ubuntu onto a CD a DVD yes I wanted to install on an older PC so I orederd the CD.

I got it today and I must say fair play to them.

Older PCs struggle with windows and all the spyware and such.

Thanks Canonical.:D

rocketflame
June 11th, 2009, 03:41 PM
you can always donate to canonical,that way you get the cd and dont feel bad

Sef
June 11th, 2009, 05:29 PM
moved to community cafe.