PDA

View Full Version : Lower than a noob

freykatt
January 17th, 2006, 02:53 AM
Hello all, been browsing this site and am appreciating the "flavor". I am wondering where to post my first help question regarding difficulties with a "live" Ubuntu disk. I am wanting to migrate totally away from "the other one, but have not installed nor used any flavor of linux whatsoever, therefore searching for any documentation related. Biggest problems are "Command lines" and learning how all this is put together.? Any thoughts and ideas will be helpfull..

Iandefor
January 17th, 2006, 03:02 AM
Hullo! I think your first question can be safely posted in "Ubuntu Help". I think the biggest way you can learn to use the command line is to, well, use it. A good place to start looking for documentation on a command is the program's "man page" which can be accessed by typing in "man [name of command]".
For instance, if I wished to access the information for the command "ls" I wold type in "man ls". Good luck and have fun!

freykatt
January 18th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Hello Iandefor. thanks for the suggestions. I tried the Live cd of 5.10 and got to the setup of the graphics card and "it" hangs up, not sure what to make of it or what to do. I tried everything indicated but got nowhere. Has anyone else had this same problem? I am assuming this old 233 mhz machine can handle it..?? Thanks again.

rjwood
January 18th, 2006, 01:51 AM
I came to ubuntu 7 months ago,and haven't looked back.Not having any real knowledge of computers, with the exception of playing protector against problems like spam, viruses and all that stuff. I just dove in and have been quite suprised at the fun I have had so far. I am 49 years old and thought I couldn't learn much new. I was put in my place by a few of these wipper-snappers on ubuntu forums as soon as I would begin singing the blues about my age and (in)ability. So-dive in---what the hay!:cool:.. Good luck and don't hesitate to aks for help. The people here are quality people and like to show-off their talents.

As a disclosure---I do have alot of time to spend on my computer (not sure what that say's about me). Have fun and good luck!!!!

Azion
January 18th, 2006, 02:03 AM
There's great help around here, it's one of the busiest and most active forums I've ever been on.

You'll have no problem settling in

Iandefor
January 18th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Hello Iandefor. thanks for the suggestions. I tried the Live cd of 5.10 and got to the setup of the graphics card and "it" hangs up, not sure what to make of it or what to do. I tried everything indicated but got nowhere. Has anyone else had this same problem? I am assuming this old 233 mhz machine can handle it..?? Thanks again. Do you know what the graphics card is on the old 233 mhz machine? Some cards, for various reasons, are just plain not supported by Ubuntu (but that doesn't mean you can't get your desktop up and running... it just takes a little more work). Also: a 233 mhz processor is reeaaaallly slow... I'm not certain Ubuntu would be the best operating system for such a computer. A better operating system might be Vector Linux (http://www.vectorlinux.com/), or perhaps even Damn Small Linux (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/).

rjwood
January 18th, 2006, 05:12 AM
There's great help around here, it's one of the busiest and most active forums I've ever been on.

You'll have no problem settling in

especially with people who look like this!!!!:D:D

drizek
January 18th, 2006, 05:41 AM
ubuntu works on older machines, but it really isnt designed for them. The problem is that more lightweight distros are a bit more complicated to use. Do you have a newer computer to play with ubuntu on before you use a harder distro on your 233mhz one?

Sef
January 18th, 2006, 08:44 AM
One your computer, I would install as a server, then install a lightweight window manager, like fluxbox, icewm, xfce, etc.

At the command line:

1) sudo apt-get update

2) sudo apt-get install (window manager)-desktop

BSDFreak
January 18th, 2006, 09:30 AM
As nice as ubuntu is i wouldn't recommend it on anything but a newish box.

Try http://www.vectorlinux.com/ instead.

freykatt
January 20th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Well kiss a frog, havent't had this much activity on one of my posts in many a moon. After perusing all the ideas and suggestions and since I just acquired DSL and Vector, I reckin I will opt for DSL and see what happins. Since I oinly have a 233mhz, I will beat on it to get started. Many thanks to all of ya'll.!!!!