PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] Conky is autostarting - don't think it should be

vrothdar
June 10th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Background:

I'm running the CLI install from the alternate CD which I'm building up to a full system to suit my needs.
I'm using XFCE for my desktop.
I had conky autostarting and displaying correctly without any problems until last night.

After some tinkering last night conky has started displaying behind the wallpaper. I know about the workarounds using sleep but would like to try and figure out why the behavior has changed to improve my understanding of conky.

Firstly I tried changing own_window_type from desktop to normal (without any hints set) to ensure conky was definitely working and that I hadn't borked my conkyrc file. That all worked fine.

Next I wanted to stop it from autostarting so that I could start it manually with own_window_type desktop to check conky displays correctly when started after the rest of the desktop has loaded. I went to session and startup to remove it from the autostart list but found that it wasn't there.

If it's not in that list of applications why is it autostarting?
Might this be related to conky starting to display behind the wallpaper?

Thanks in advance for any help.

ushimitsudoki
June 10th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I had some autostarting issues.

I cleared ~/.cache/sessions and that handled that (assuming you check the "standard" spots as well)

I also had some problems with conky opening up wrong. I wish I would remember what I did, but I didn't document it. I remember fiddling with own_window_type, and I ended up with it on "normal" (it was originally override *I THINK*)

vrothdar
June 10th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Clearing the sessions cache stopped conky autostarting.

I tried using own_window normal and own_window_hints to make it look like own_window desktop and that worked fine and seems like a much more elegant solution than scripts to delay conky starting that I've seen recommended elsewhere.

Thanks for the help.